Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 PM

33 posts, read 44,322 times

Advertisements

I have problems in my basement with static electricity if I don't use a dehumidifier.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 PM

960 posts, read 2,736,821 times
Just a thought. In the old NE, you had to purchase coal to fire-up the burner in the basement to heat up your home. No one wants to pour all that coal in the house and inhale all that black smoke. So, basement became ideal in colder climates.

In the Southwest (yes, Texas in not South according to historial deeds) has warmer climates and newer cities in the searing hot climate in July were in a hurry to build a roof and install a ceiling fan with rudimentary electric like the fuse box which later become a central A/C and gas heater. And, so that's why we didn't need residential basements, especially with a flat surface.

But who knows, but remember that it's always the developers fault. Maybe no one wanted to move to Texas until they heard that you can buy one of Mr. Football's McMansions at a low Walmart price that beats the Sears bungalows!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM

That reminds me...where is the water heater usually located in houses with no basements?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Man View Post
That reminds me...where is the water heater usually located in houses with no basements?
Usually around where the washer/dryer connections might be. It's just above ground like everything else.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Usually around where the washer/dryer connections might be. It's just above ground like everything else.
I had an apartment in CA where the full-size washer and gas dryer was in the water heater closet on the balcony. I never liked the idea of the gas intake being so close to the water heater.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:17 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Man View Post
I had an apartment in CA where the full-size washer and gas dryer was in the water heater closet on the balcony. I never liked the idea of the gas intake being so close to the water heater.
Uh.....no. I'm as adaptable as they come, and that would be a dealbreaker for me. I'd feel safer on the streets, because I know what to expect there. I can't have the place blowing up with me asleep and not having a chance in hell of getting out. Apartments here generally have one or several water heaters for one building or group of units, separated from the interiors of any of the units themselves. There's no gas at all in my apartment proper, nor in those of my neighbors, which is rather comforting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston