Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:09 PM

33 posts, read 44,700 times

Advertisements

I am in sticker shock after seeing how low the housing prices are in Cypress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
Yes! I am shocked, too! It IS that cheap compared to Socal.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
Relatively speaking, you can get a lot of house for the money the Houston suburbs. Especially in areas where they're still building. Cy-Fair ISD is one of the fastest growing school districts in the nation, every year. This particular part of town has been booming for 15 years with no signs of stopping.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:33 PM

I am also surprised by the low rents for spacious 1 bedroom apartments with a washer and dryer in unit in nice areas like Sugar Land.

I am thinking of moving to Houston in two years, but I don't know anyone in the area. I'm trying to decide between Houston, San Diego, New York City (commuting from Connecticut or NJ), and Philadelphia (all same pay, except for Philly, which is slightly less).

Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
Yep, cost-of-living is cheaper relative to compensation in and around Houston. You can buy one of Mr. Football's McMansions. However, I prefer to live in a modest home in the city.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:25 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
Well good for you Biker! Somebody give Biker a medal. I think he wants some recognition.

Living in the city is fine if you don't mind the violent crime, bad streets, bad air, pollution, crummy service, horrid schools and lack of green spaces.

But hey, the nightlife rocks and its great if you're single, post-college, young professional couple w/no kids, no kids, no kids etc.

Having moved from Midtown, I always get a chuckle when city folks, especially coming from a city like Houston (built on excess), judgingly lecture about "McMansions" - especially when its apparent they don't know what the operative definition is. There are certainly more cases of "McMansions" in the city than there are the burbs, as the lots in the burbs are generally much larger than those in the city and specifically drawn out for such homes.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 PM

What's wrong with the McMansions? Suburban sprawl?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
You're gonna be in sticker shock once you get your property tax bill every year, too. Figure roughly 3% of the ''sticker price'' every year.

You'll also understand why the prices are the way they are if you spend 4 hours on highway 290, going to & from work every day.

Same with the homeowner insurance bill if you live by the coast. These rates are just not letting up. However Cypress should be relatively reasonable for now.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:35 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
The reason its cheap is because it's far from downtown. Commuting is horrible from the region. The closer you getting to the economic center of a region, the more expensive it gets.

BUT, the taxes out there are way more than in town.

PS- The lots are getting smaller and smaller in the burbs. I couldn't believe when I saw they were putting those Woodlands Creekside homes on 9,000 sf lots for 400,000. That's almost ITB pricing.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Man View Post
I am in sticker shock after seeing how low the housing prices are in Cypress!
Be careful about that sticker shock--it leads some people to overpay for properties, leading to even greater chances of investment loss.

Keep in mind, too, that there are some downsides to the low real estate prices in the Houston 'burbs: price appreciation above the rate of inflation is often nil; selling a house can be difficult because there are so many other properties on the market; generally speaking, cheap house=long commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston