Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 04:16 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I bet you put on a heavy jacket when it gets below 50 degrees.

Just curious, where would there be "excessive" humidity, in your estimation? The Amazon rainforest, perhaps?
So putting on a jacket when it gets below 50 is a bad thing but you won't shut up about humidity over 65%...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Yeah. At this point, the only variation comes with how verbose the opening screeds are...

[Clicks Back Button]
How many different fabricated stories can these people come up with to explain to residents of Houston that it's hot here in the summer, that it's spread out and that it's nothing like Portland, Chicago or SF? I wish we could get some real creativity, if you're going to waste your time signing up and creating a new user account to troll the Houston forum at least make it worthwhile.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
How many different fabricated stories can these people come up with to explain to residents of Houston
What if the message isn't to the residents of Houston, but for people who considering moving here? Do you have a problem with them knowing what they're getting?

We already know the natives think Houston's everything a city should be, and have normalized what it means to live here.

I didn't say all this stuff a decade ago because the rents were in line with what Houston delivers. Now that the city's got a higher price point, there are going to be those comparisons you don't like, all day.

It's not just Houston. Austin jumped the shark before Houston did. Got too expensive for what you get. Big city rent, overgrown college town infrastructure.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
What if the message isn't to the residents of Houston, but for people who considering moving here? Do you have a problem with them knowing what they're getting?
Not only do I not have a problem with it, I highly encourage spreading just how terrible it is living in the Houston area, especially among people from places like San Francisco, Portland, Chicago, etc etc.

Quote:
We already know the natives think Houston's everything a city should be, and have normalized what it means to live here.

I didn't say all this stuff a decade ago because the rents were in line with what Houston delivers. Now that the city's got a higher price point, there are going to be those comparisons you don't like, all day.
The cost of living has continued to go up in Houston because people keep coming here and fleeing places like CA and Washington state.

Quote:
It's not just Houston. Austin jumped the shark before Houston did. Got too expensive for what you get. Big city rent, overgrown college town infrastructure.
Then move back to where you came from or live with it.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:20 PM

61,728 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
Anyway, I don’t want to write Houston, and Texas, off just yet, as I’m still relatively new here, but my patience is also waning rather quickly, already. I want to see why Houstonians and Texans love their home as much as they seem to, and that they’re as friendly as they purport themselves to be. However, I’m just not “getting” it so far.

Please help.
Well, you should at least appreciate the:
Quote:
hell of a salary here for what I do. Then, move back to Los Angeles, or maybe even Seattle or Las Vegas, where I can command a hell of a higher salary.
//www.city-data.com/forum/54159705-post1108.html

because, as you said:

Quote:
Texas has Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio. All booming. Houston and the D/FW Metroplex have been adding about one million new residents each decade since the 1970s....
Texas has no state income tax, a draw for a lot of Northeasterners and Californians, and a big reason that a lot of "traditional" companies are relocating their headquarters from California to Texas and bringing their Californian human capital with them. Collin County (Plano, Allen and McKinney), west Houston (Katy, Cinco Ranch and the Energy Corridor), and Austin are pretty much ground zero for California transplants coming to anywhere in the Old Confederacy.
//www.city-data.com/forum/53659803-post35.html

The reason people move to Houston boils down to the fact that it is a well-rounded, desirable place to live.
No wonder that approximately 275 new people move to Houston every day. Why? Because living in Houston is more affordable than other large metropolitans. You can buy a house in Houston on a modest income.
Figuring out where to live in Houston is simple. Generally speaking, lots of singles and culturally relevant, trendy experiences are located inside the loop whereas the suburbs, white picket fences, and families are located outside the loop. Most commonly, Houston natives will stress to you the importance of picking an area to live that is close to where you work.
Houston has a rapidly expanding job market, and the population in Houston is booming. And while no city has a perfect economy, Houston could be a fine respite if you have struggled to find a decent paying job elsewhere.
It’s perfect for foodies as well. Houston does all types of cuisine well and is home to thousands of restaurants and eateries.
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/housto...ood-in-houston
There is no way you could get bored, well... except you're a boring person. What makes Houston an ideal place to live are all the various places to go and things to see and do, many of which you won’t find in other cities.
Check this: https://365thingsinhouston.com/ (to be up to date, get weekly notifications)
^^^ 'nuff said.

Most transplants describe the people of Houston in a few words - they are kind, friendly, diverse and welcoming.
So, if you decide to stay in Houston, make the most of your new residence by becoming an active part of your community.

But if you move out, we will not miss you...

https://www.lifestorage.com/blog/mov...ng-to-houston/

Old 01-19-2019, 07:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Then move back to where you came from or live with it.
Born and raised here. I know a lot more about this place than you do about me.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Born and raised here. I know a lot more about this place than you do about me.
Then why are you bitching? If you can't afford to live here you're doing something wrong.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:33 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:

There's a lot of multi-family housing under construction as we speak, there's 357 units being built in my neighborhood as well. Once this is all completed rents will start to moderate. Remember during the oil bust multi-family housing construction came to a virtual halt and there were all kinds of incentives being offered and Houston was a renters market. The market is responding give it time.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:11 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
One great thing about Houston is that housing is allowed to catch up with demand. The crazy price increases of 2012-2014 moderated (albeit at a much higher level than previously) and haven't restarted, even after Harvey. Houston's apartment rent increases are currently the least aggressive of any large city in the country. This is because supply has been able to catch up with demand. That is not possible in California because of excessive regulatory obstacles.

Regarding downtown, in my opinion it is far more lively in the evening (in certain areas) than it was 10-15 years ago. And during my visits to Chicago, its downtown was every bit as dead as Houston's after 6:00 pm. Only right around the theaters and along North Michigan Avenue (which is NOT downtown) are there active sidewalks. The Loop is eerily vacated. Back in the early 1990s, SF was exactly the same (maybe it's more lively now, I don't know).

Old 01-19-2019, 09:19 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
There's a lot of multi-family housing under construction as we speak, there's 357 units being built in my neighborhood as well. Once this is all completed rents will start to moderate. Remember during the oil bust multi-family housing construction came to a virtual halt and there were all kinds of incentives being offered and Houston was a renters market. The market is responding give it time.
Yes with nice HOA fees that are no better then up north. The thing is Corporate America still is steering migrations south to states that give them high incentives. That may well not be forever...... Mild winters are a plus with God awful summers in many parts. Again with air-conditioning. It makes things look rosier.

Eventually cost will rise as it already has .... and not be Corporate America's top choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
One great thing about Houston is that housing is allowed to catch up with demand. The crazy price increases of 2012-2014 moderated (albeit at a much higher level than previously) and haven't restarted, even after Harvey. Houston's apartment rent increases are currently the least aggressive of any large city in the country. This is because supply has been able to catch up with demand. That is not possible in California because of excessive regulatory obstacles.

Regarding downtown, in my opinion it is far more lively in the evening (in certain areas) than it was 10-15 years ago. And during my visits to Chicago, its downtown was every bit as dead as Houston's after 6:00 pm. Only right around the theaters and along North Michigan Avenue (which is NOT downtown) are there active sidewalks. The Loop is eerily vacated. Back in the early 1990s, SF was exactly the same (maybe it's more lively now, I don't know).
Sorry but N Michigan and Streeterville and River North
of the Near North side of Chicago.....
ARE ITS DOWNTOWN TODAY.

Chicago itself in its city website. Defines its ONE CBD
and that is ALL its ONE downtown and CBD.

This is still downtown Chicago
None of this is in the Loop in the first 2 photos ......

Streeterville of .. River North of the ...This is Chicago's
the Near North ... Near North side... one downtown. NOT HALF

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston