Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:46 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It really depends on the destination and whether SWA has a flight to the same city from Hobby. ORD is cheap on UA. Laredo is not.
Southwest actually has high fares to a lot of markets where they compete. WN isnt some sort of charity, they push their fares the limit where they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Southwest actually has high fares to a lot of markets where they compete. WN isnt some sort of charity, they push their fares the limit where they can.
Amen to that. They are not cheap in many cases. And personally, I actually prefer UA over them primarily because I've had some really bad experiences with Southwest (not all of them necessarily the airline's fault). I like flying out of Hobby, but would rather trek to IAH rather than connect in most cases.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 AM

5,613 posts, read 4,937,855 times
I'm not saying SWA is actually better than UA - I usually find that UA's schedules are considerably better, especially for nonstops. It's just that it seems when SWA runs a nonstop between Hobby and another destination, UA will have a little bit lower fare. This is only true for SWA nonstops though (see: Houston-Amarillo).

Old 03-04-2019, 11:00 AM

422 posts, read 542,370 times
People actually feel loyalty to airlines? Seriously? Give me what’s cheapest lol

Old 03-04-2019, 11:02 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
People actually feel loyalty to airlines? Seriously? Give me what’s cheapest lol
You probably dont fly very much if thats your opinion.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:49 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,000 times
When you fly at LEAST once a month, loyalty and perks are everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post

Old 03-04-2019, 12:06 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
I think the crappy service by United and the great service by Continental has just about balanced out now to "good to okay service" overall by UA. When the merger first happened, you could really tell the difference between a CO crew and a UA crew. Heck some CO crews were proud to say they were a CO crew.

I generally fly UA for leisure (I'm on a buddy pass list so pricing is literally the same no matter where I fly domestically) and SWA for business. I have to say that SWA has lost quality over the years while UA has picked up a little.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:34 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Because UA dominates at IAH most people will end up doing most of their flying with them. As such, they will be on their frequent flier program and have miles accrued. So when they do have a choice, they might pay a bit more for United in order to earn the miles. For example, a choice between UA to Europe for $1400 on UA or $1200 on BA may be a no-brainer to the occasional flier who doesn't care about miles earned but a different choice for a frequent flier looking at almost 10k miles earned.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
True, but the "Southwest effect" has been demonstrated over and over. One example I'm presonally familiar with is Houston to Cancun. Ten years ago the fares to fly into Cancun or Cozumel (about 30 miles away) were similar. SWA started flying into CUN around 2011-2012 when they bought AirTran and ever since fares to CUN have been half that to CZM, as low as $200 rt. Now it's true that United is often a few bucks cheaper than SWA on that route but there's no doubt in my mind that if SWA canceled that route, UA would jack fares back up.

Also consider SWA offers two free checked bags and no change fees. That may be a non-factor to some but changes the equation for others.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:19 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,916 times
I used to fly out of IAH regularly on business, and I do recall a few ridiculous examples of United charging whatever they could get away with on routes where they offered the only nonstop flight. For example, last minute round-trip flights to Wichita for nearly $1500 - about double what a flight to Tulsa or Oklahoma City cost (Southwest didn't fly into Wichita at the time, but did fly to Tulsa and OKC - I think now they fly to all three cities).

Nowadays I mostly fly for leisure. On the last few trips that I've made, United has been comparable to Southwest or maybe a bit cheaper, BUT flying out of Austin is much cheaper than flying out of either Houston airport. I'm seriously jealous of the fare deals that show up in Austin. If I'm buying 3 or 4 tickets and am not in a huge hurry, I'll actually drive to AUS (about two hours outside of rush hour) to save a few hundred bucks total.

I wish the low-cost long-haul carriers such as Norwegian and WOW would break into Houston - it's a much larger market than several of the US cities that they fly out of. But most of these low-cost carriers have run into hard times in the past year and are shutting down routes, rather than adding them, so I'm not counting on this happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston