Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 06:16 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times

Advertisements

I had no idea this was so close to becoming a reality!

5 Reasons the Houston-Dallas High-Speed Rail Project Makes Sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 06:26 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
I'm amazed of how many negative stories I hear about it.

I'm sure is going to be the typical "We are all against it"
And once is running and people are enjoying it, they'll say: "See, we told you it makes sense"

Old 10-16-2019, 08:47 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

And once is running and people are enjoying it, they'll say: "See, we told you it makes sense"
You could be right, but personally I think its a terrible idea. Unlike an airport which can serve multiple destinations, it will serve only Houston and the Brazos Valley station. In addition to not saving that much time as opposed to just driving - the cost is outrageous. It would be infinitely cheaper and far less disruptive to everyone to just add a few buses that leave every 30 minutes....you can even make some first class buses and save a ton of money.

The cost projection of a seat on the train is the same as flying, yet the ride takes 2.5-3 hours rather than 40 minutes on a plane....only saving about an hour as opposed to driving. Take the time of clearing security, and the fact that the train dumps you at a station that may be nowhere near your destination and it actually takes longer than driving.

If Im going to shell out 4x the cost of a road trip, it better save me alot of time and this definitively doesn't do it. But, to each their own. I'm not opposed to it....I am opposed to the use of any state or Federal funds (and it is relying upon Federal grants) but I am not opposed to the train.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
I think it could be feasible, but obtaining the land could get dicey.

I would probably still drive, but that's just me.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
This could allow me to work physically in Dallas but live in NW Houston. For the stuff I do, a lot of the jobs have flexible schedules so it's possible to find a place that doesn't require a physical presence every work day. I read manuals and articles and books every single day, even weekends, so that 90 mins on the train could be spend on a laptop or buried in a book.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
This could allow me to work physically in Dallas but live in NW Houston. For the stuff I do, a lot of the jobs have flexible schedules so it's possible to find a place that doesn't require a physical presence every work day. I read manuals and articles and books every single day, even weekends, so that 90 mins on the train could be spend on a laptop or buried in a book.
Its not a 90 minute train ride - its a 3 hour 2.5-3 hour ride. Plus you will still need to park and clear security just like you do at an airport - so the total commute time from your house to any given location in Dallas except the station is more likely to be about 4.5-5 hours, not 90 minutes.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:36 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Its not a 90 minute train ride - its a 3 hour 2.5-3 hour ride. Plus you will still need to park and clear security just like you do at an airport - so the total commute time from your house to any given location in Dallas except the station is more likely to be about 4.5-5 hours, not 90 minutes.
Huh? I haven't seen anything stating a 2.5-3 hour ride. What I've seen says 1.5 hours, which would make sense given its speed. And nothing about going through security. While I would expect the train's developers to put out as appealing of information as possible, I would also expect the opponents to put out exaggerated or flat-out inaccurate info - if that's where you're getting this from. I've taken HSR in Europe and there's no security to go through.

As long as the cost is comparable, I don't think the train will have any trouble attracting passengers who would have otherwise flown to North Texas (assuming that's their final destination). There might be a few folks who normally drive that it will attract, but probably not many. I do think it might significantly cut into Vonlane since it saves so much time. Convenience-wise, it's comparable to the airports, though the Houston site is probably more convenient for corporate-type travelers (compared to our airports) than the Dallas station would be.

Nevertheless, I just don't see this thing ultimately happening. Apart from the property acquisition issues, the capital cost is just ridiculous, and I don't think a successful operation will make up for it if fares are comparable to flying. Basically, my gut feel is that it's financially infeasible. And I would NOT support the use of public funds to prop it up.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:20 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post

Where in NW Houston? In Spring Branch near the location of where the stop in Houston will supposedly be? Or do you mean Cypress? Cause if the latter, that's a pretty far drive still from where you'd be left off in the train. In fact, you'd have to pass right by your house everyday on the train coming in or leaving and then get in a car and drive for 45 min - 1 hour+ to/from your house cause there won't be a stop near there.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:40 AM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Huh? I haven't seen anything stating a 2.5-3 hour ride. What I've seen says 1.5 hours, which would make sense given its speed. And nothing about going through security. While I would expect the train's developers to put out as appealing of information as possible, I would also expect the opponents to put out exaggerated or flat-out inaccurate info - if that's where you're getting this from. I've taken HSR in Europe and there's no security to go through.

As long as the cost is comparable, I don't think the train will have any trouble attracting passengers who would have otherwise flown to North Texas (assuming that's their final destination). There might be a few folks who normally drive that it will attract, but probably not many. I do think it might significantly cut into Vonlane since it saves so much time. Convenience-wise, it's comparable to the airports, though the Houston site is probably more convenient for corporate-type travelers (compared to our airports) than the Dallas station would be.

Nevertheless, I just don't see this thing ultimately happening. Apart from the property acquisition issues, the capital cost is just ridiculous, and I don't think a successful operation will make up for it if fares are comparable to flying. Basically, my gut feel is that it's financially infeasible. And I would NOT support the use of public funds to prop it up.
Yes. If you've ever ridden trains in Europe, the security process is vastly easier than the process in airports.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:41 AM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Its the rural counties' politicians. They get tax $$s, but don't get any stops, so they don't want it running through their property. They are very vocal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston