Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:47 PM

955 posts, read 1,032,999 times

Advertisements

The latest "rumor" is that the B1G Ten conference has actually started looking into and discussing the University of Houston as a possible expansion member.

remember the B1G Ten is the most aggressive in locking up large markets and the invitation to Maryland (DC + Baltimore) and Rutgers (NY/NJ) came out of nowhere. Drastically different that the Big 12's dog and pony show.

Here's the chatter:

https://twitter.com/flugempire/statu...102511105?s=21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 04:05 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
I would bet UH needs to improve their academics to Big 10 standards before they seriously consider them. I don't think they are even a member of AAU yet. Nebraska, I read, was nearly kicked out because of that.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:17 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would bet UH needs to improve their academics to Big 10 standards before they seriously consider them. I don't think they are even a member of AAU yet. Nebraska, I read, was nearly kicked out because of that.
As I post right now from just off the Northwestern campus in Evanston, this is exactly what I was thinking.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
As I post right now from just off the Northwestern campus in Evanston, this is exactly what I was thinking.

You know, maybe the people who actually track these things see that they are doing just that and its enough to justify an add to the B1G Ten.

And that is before the Med School comes online or UH reaches its 100th Birthday!

Not even a 100 years old, no PUf advantage, and yet they have may departments that are tops in the state and region.

Here's one:

https://www.chron.com/life/health/ar...am-9822235.php

The one thing they need to improve is their 4 year graduation rate (this shoots you up the ranks) and they've addressed that ...they offer a bonus whop graduate within 4 years so keep watching the rankings...they will continue to rise.

But believe me, securing AAU status is definitely on our list and we will get there..I have no doubt.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:12 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,024,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post

A few things to note:

1) I believe that PUF funds can only be used to build facilities, not fund operating expenses. Also, the PUF funds go to the two university SYSTEMS, not just the two flagship campuses. That's over two dozen campuses and agencies educating about half of the college students in the state.

2) Not sure what you mean by underachieving - both flagship campuses and systems fulfill their stated missions quite well. If you mean they should be higher in rankings like US News, you can blame the idiotic 10% rule (even as amended in recent years). If that rule did not exist, the average SAT scores at both campuses would be significantly higher, and that feeds into the rankings formulas.

Neither UH nor Tech are hurting for facilities, so I think people have an exaggerated idea of what benefit you would get from PUF funds.

All true. There seems to be an ill-informed contingent that evidently believes that UT-Austin and A&M are the sole beneficiaries of the PUF to the exclusion of all others, and that, with a mere wave of the constitutional magic wand, the University of Houston would automatically become the third sharing institution. These folks apparently see a vast financial pie sliced a mere three ways, and that UH will (and should) reap a grand financial windfall by taking its rightful place alongside the two flagship universities.

Nothing could be further from the truth, obviously, since the UT and A&M systems comprise 25 separate campuses in the aggregate, all of which participate in the PUF. None of these universities currently participating in the PUF would be jettisoned from their current status simply because of the addition of UH. Therefore, UH would be No. 26, unless the Texas Tech system is thrown into the mix first. Then UH becomes No. 30, because there are four Texas Tech system schools.

There is also the question, of course, of UH's current participation in the Texas Higher Education Fund, which is all but certain to end once UH becomes a PUF institution. Once that question is resolved, UH supporters and administrators may be left wondering why they traded a large slice of one money pie for a tiny slice of another.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:47 PM

For Labor Day weekend, The OU vs UH game was moved into the prime time ABC slot on Sunday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston