Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:05 PM

171 posts, read 246,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley wings View Post
Just curious if it’s what it’s made out to be.
It's not about living in River Oaks itself. It's the fact that if you have the kind of money to drop 8 figures on a house and properly maintain it, life will be good anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 11:33 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What I like about it, is the location
Damn, everything is closer from there
There is nothing anywhere else in the USA like it in the marge metros I have visited and the only ones I have not are maybe 6 out of the 35 largest. An ultrarich district in the city proper with easy access to downtown with virtually no traffic impediment (excepting maybe Kirby). Access to the highest level luxury shopping on the other sides from downtown a stone's throw away. Walled estates, many homes of which are hidden from view. In the south I think the two areas that can somewhat compare (not to a great extent) are Belle Meade/Green Hills in Nashville, and Northwest Atlanta with its close by access to Buckhead and the outstanding shopping/entertainment there.

Chicago's North Shore villages somewhat compare especially Kenilworth and Highland Park but these townships are not an easy drive to the loop.

I had an associate from Seattle here and I gave him the inner loop, Heights, Montrose, Museum District, Upper Kirby, River Oaks, tour. This guy has been all over the U.S. and he said he had never seen anything to compare to River Oaks. Same thing from a friend from NYC staying with me a few weeks.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:43 PM

219 posts, read 226,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
There is nothing anywhere else in the USA like it in the marge metros I have visited and the only ones I have not are maybe 6 out of the 35 largest. An ultrarich district in the city proper with easy access to downtown with virtually no traffic impediment (excepting maybe Kirby). Access to the highest level luxury shopping on the other sides from downtown a stone's throw away. Walled estates, many homes of which are hidden from view. In the south I think the two areas that can somewhat compare (not to a great extent) are Belle Meade/Green Hills in Nashville, and Northwest Atlanta with its close by access to Buckhead and the outstanding shopping/entertainment there.

Chicago's North Shore villages somewhat compare especially Kenilworth and Highland Park but these townships are not an easy drive to the loop.

I had an associate from Seattle here and I gave him the inner loop, Heights, Montrose, Museum District, Upper Kirby, River Oaks, tour. This guy has been all over the U.S. and he said he had never seen anything to compare to River Oaks. Same thing from a friend from NYC staying with me a few weeks.
How about Bel-Air in LA?

Old 04-01-2019, 01:19 PM

64 posts, read 58,504 times
An old girlfriend of mine was from Charlotte and lived in the Myers Park area, it was somewhat similar. I have found talking with random people on trips or here in town from other areas, that many upscale enclaves in other metros actually operate more like West U and form their own cities. So they end up not being apart of the city proper like RO. Probably why its unique in that sense. But at the end of the day, it's nothing overly special to me. A lot more of those families have had their homes passed down to them than folks realize. If it was based on their income alone, they'd be in Sugar Land or Katy. I know two first hand.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:35 PM

391 posts, read 424,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmcclel View Post
An old girlfriend of mine was from Charlotte and lived in the Myers Park area, it was somewhat similar. I have found talking with random people on trips or here in town from other areas, that many upscale enclaves in other metros actually operate more like West U and form their own cities. So they end up not being apart of the city proper like RO. Probably why its unique in that sense. But at the end of the day, it's nothing overly special to me. A lot more of those families have had their homes passed down to them than folks realize. If it was based on their income alone, they'd be in Sugar Land or Katy. I know two first hand.

Even so, I couldn't afford the taxes/hoa/landscaping/country club dues If a rich relative leaves me a River Oaks mansion I'll have to say thanks but no thanks.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:03 PM

344 posts, read 346,093 times
Quote:

How about Old Enfield in Austin? Or Pacific Heights in San Francisco?

Old 04-01-2019, 06:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:

People in Chicago don't have to drive to the Loop. They take the commuter rail which is comfortable and doesn't require finding parking. That includes the wealthy.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:28 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
More major metros in the US have neighborhoods like River Oaks than don't.

Denny Blaine in Seattle is both closer to downtown and more "ultra rich" than River Oaks in Houston. I myself can afford River Oaks in Houston but can't afford Denny Blaine in Seattle. I just wouldn't waste my money to live in River Oaks in Houston which is, after all, still in Houston.

Last edited by fnh; 04-01-2019 at 09:57 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 10:04 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
More major metros in the US have neighborhoods like River Oaks than don't.

Denny Blaine in Seattle is both closer to downtown and more "ultra rich" than River Oaks in Houston. I myself can afford River Oaks in Houston but can't afford Denny Blaine in Seattle. I just wouldn't waste my money to live in River Oaks in Houston which is, after all, still in Houston.
Any street with an average home price of $20m (Lazy Ln) is a big deal anywhere in the US (including Seattle ). Just because you can afford an “entry level” home in RO, doesn’t mean it isn’t a special neighborhood overall.

There are many more millionaires in Houston than Seattle and quite a few live in RO; though, I digress.

Which U.S. Cities Have the Biggest Number of Millionaires | Fortune
Attached Thumbnails
What’s it like to live in River Oaks?-724563fd-7ce3-4826-9542-93a28c5bd6be.png  

Old 04-02-2019, 12:08 AM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
How about Bel-Air in LA?
Bel-Air does not have the quick access to downtown L.A. (sports, performing arts) like River Oaks does with Memorial Dr. to Houston DT. They do have the luxury shopping with the Rodeo Dr. district and highrise office space at Westwood and Century City which together are kinda comparable to the West Loop in Houston which is right adjacent to River Oaks. But Greenway Plaza is almost the same access. And now we have the rise of Upper Kirby right at the doorstep; nothing short of spectacular is RO and environs.
But you know with the coast right there at Bel-Air and the two Getty museums and all the other stuff who can argue with their spectacular situation.

With all of the performing arts and big league sports in downtown Houston this only adds to the spectacular location of River Oaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
People in Chicago don't have to drive to the Loop. They take the commuter rail which is comfortable and doesn't require finding parking. That includes the wealthy.
Really, a night out at the symphony and you deal with the Metra? On that North Shore line with by far the most stops of any on the map if you go look.

The CTA EL goes up to like Wilmette which is quite a drive from Highland park and Glencoe. (BTW have lived in both Chicagoland and L.A.)

Century City, Westwood,:
Attached Thumbnails
What’s it like to live in River Oaks?-centurycity_2.jpg   What’s it like to live in River Oaks?-westwood2.jpg  

Last edited by groovamos; 04-02-2019 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston