Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:44 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,174,032 times

Advertisements

I've only been in them a handful of times over the decades, primarily for specific use (getting from one bldg to another). I'd like to explore them a little more now that I have time. What do y'all recommend? Best place to start, must-see areas, etc?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 08:04 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I've only been in them a handful of times over the decades, primarily for specific use (getting from one bldg to another). I'd like to explore them a little more now that I have time. What do y'all recommend? Best place to start, must-see areas, etc?

Thanks!
It's a good excuse to go into the lobby of Pennzoil Place, which somehow keeps its "futuristic" look 30 years after the fact. Start there.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 AM

6,262 posts, read 7,410,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's a good excuse to go into the lobby of Pennzoil Place, which somehow keeps its "futuristic" look 30 years after the fact. Start there.
30 years ? That building was probably designed closer to 50 years ago...

Old 04-19-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
30 years ? That building was probably designed closer to 50 years ago...
It was completed in 1975. I thought it was more 80s.

Says even more for the design. Pritzker Prize '78

Old 04-19-2019, 08:37 PM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,634,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right. Open weekdays only. And yes, it's a great place if you work downtown, especially in summer because it's air conditioned.
You can grab a quick lunch without wasting time to find parking space or get all sweaty running around in the Summer heat.
Talking about running - lots of people just go for a power walk during lunch time. It's a great break from sitting in an office...
The classic case of the NY Times parochialism. Reporter came down here in the 80s and wrote in an article that downtown Houston was virtually empty. He didn't see anyone at noon on the streets on a July day. If he had bothered to ask anyone, they would have told him that everyone was in the tunnels.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The classic case of the NY Times parochialism. Reporter came down here in the 80s and wrote in an article that downtown Houston was virtually empty. He didn't see anyone at noon on the streets on a July day. If he had bothered to ask anyone, they would have told him that everyone was in the tunnels.
In the 80s they saw a cluster of office towers surrounded by three or four dozen city blocks of surface parking. That photo still gets around from time to time.

This downtown tunnel thing isn't really that unique. Chicago's is referred to as the Pedway and links much of the Loop area underground with the Red and Blue lines which are underground and don't use the elevated "Loop" above the streets. If anything is unique about Houston's tunnels, it's how it has generally sucked out all the street level life. The Pedway doesn't do that here. I spent much of today in and around the Loop and saw more people on the streets than I've ever seen in downtown Houston on the surface. Weather? It was 43 degrees and probably upper 20s wind chill. Not exactly pleasant, though it did warm up and the wind let up a little at times. In July, guess what, it's hot, humid and not exactly pleasant.

When your streets are empty, they're empty. Other cities have tunnels or skywalks without rolling up the sidewalks on the streets. To think this is normal because Houston does that, that's "parochial."

Today's DT Houston is a little less empty on the street mainly because more people actually live downtown now, and there are actually people to be seen on the weekends when the tunnels aren't open.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 PM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,634,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
In the 80s they saw a cluster of office towers surrounded by three or four dozen city blocks of surface parking. That photo still gets around from time to time.

This downtown tunnel thing isn't really that unique. Chicago's is referred to as the Pedway and links much of the Loop area underground with the Red and Blue lines which are underground and don't use the elevated "Loop" above the streets. If anything is unique about Houston's tunnels, it's how it has generally sucked out all the street level life. The Pedway doesn't do that here. I spent much of today in and around the Loop and saw more people on the streets than I've ever seen in downtown Houston on the surface. Weather? It was 43 degrees and probably upper 20s wind chill. Not exactly pleasant, though it did warm up and the wind let up a little at times. In July, guess what, it's hot, humid and not exactly pleasant.

When your streets are empty, they're empty. Other cities have tunnels or skywalks without rolling up the sidewalks on the streets. To think this is normal because Houston does that, that's "parochial."

Today's DT Houston is a little less empty on the street mainly because more people actually live downtown now, and there are actually people to be seen on the weekends when the tunnels aren't open.
Its parochial if you think hanging out on the streets in Houston's July heat and humidity in your business clothes is normal!

And while the Houston tunnels aren't unique, they are unusual and unusually long-about 6 miles.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Its parochial if you think hanging out on the streets in Houston's July heat and humidity in your business clothes is normal!

And while the Houston tunnels aren't unique, they are unusual and unusually long-about 6 miles.
The worst of summer here is pretty much the same as Houston. It just doesn't last for four or five months solid. Instead it'll be some other sort of less than optimal weather.

That said, the Pedway under downtown Chicago is five miles, not counting the subways and the walkway connecting them. It's pretty comparable to what Houston has, but without the relative lack of street-level traffic and retail. Again, that's improving.

In the 80s, the NYT was spot on. If they were supposed to ask and find out that everyone's milling around in a subterranian shopping mall, that doesn't make the observation of empty streets inaccurate, does it?

They saw a bajillion cars parked on 100 acres of asphalt around a bunch of mostly new shiny modern skyscrapers, so it's obvious humans were present somewhere.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,286,602 times
I used the tunnel daily back in the early 1970s. The air-conditioning was loud but awesome and there were small shops and eateries there, but that was pretty much it. The floors, walls and ceiling were carpeted in red to look futuristic and, when it rained, the ceiling leaked.

Still, it was very nice for those days -- but nothing like the photo that elnina posted. Wow, that almost makes me want to fight the downtown traffic to check it out -- almost.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:09 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,758,557 times
Quote:

Chicago's pedway is about 5 miles, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: