Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:19 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Poor people can dress nicely and modestly. You shouldn't assume that they can't.
Oh come on. As if I'm the one making assumptions. 🙄
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 08:00 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
What about the overweight SAHM in Katy showing up wearing yoga pants?

Old 04-25-2019, 11:39 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Poor people can dress nicely and modestly. You shouldn't assume that they can't.
Theres lower middle class/working class and then theres the desperately poor...

Old 04-26-2019, 07:04 AM

171 posts, read 246,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMill00 View Post
What I do care about is that adults start setting positive examples at home for their children's sake.
The example the parent sets is, I do what I have to do to get you to school, no matter what.

The example the school sets is, you cannot come in here unless you have a certain look.

The child is not suffering due to the parent's attire, but the school's example could be putting limits on what the child thinks they can do.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 PM

123 posts, read 100,447 times
Classic example of power-hungry high school administrators attempting to make silly rules to justify their existence. Like houston-nomad said, I'd be okay with rules at all schools prohibiting clothing that indecent exposes someone, but hair rollers, satin caps and pajamas don't do that. Not sure why they are trying to make laws that make it difficult for parents to be involved in going to their child's school / picking them up...last time I checked, a bigger factor in children's success is the level at which their parents are involved in their lives at school, not if their parents picked them up in business casual attire.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
I mean sometimes I just throw a hat and a hoodie on when taking my kid to school because I take a shower and get dressed for work after so I think the school is for sure in the wrong here.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:52 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidewolf1989 View Post
Classic example of power-hungry high school administrators attempting to make silly rules to justify their existence. Like houston-nomad said, I'd be okay with rules at all schools prohibiting clothing that indecent exposes someone, but hair rollers, satin caps and pajamas don't do that. Not sure why they are trying to make laws that make it difficult for parents to be involved in going to their child's school / picking them up...last time I checked, a bigger factor in children's success is the level at which their parents are involved in their lives at school, not if their parents picked them up in business casual attire.
^
|

Wears baggy pants with underwear showing when taking the kids to school.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:53 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,149 times
Good on this principal trying to clean up her community. She is educated, professional, and as a black woman who has probably seen a few things, she can call out this ratchet behavior as such. What’s going on in this school?

"A parent came and she had a see-thru top on and you could clearly see her breasts and nipples and she wanted to walk through the school. The next parent came, she had a thong on and low rising jeans she wanted to walk through the school. So when the third parent came, it needed to be addressed," Brown said.

"We have impressionable young men and we have men here. They see things, they're looking. You don't know what's going through their mind. They have raging hormones and so I want to ensure that everyone knows there's a proper way to dress," she said.

'Come dressed appropriately': Madison HS principal defends dress code for parents in interview
https://www.click2houston.com/news/-...s-in-interview

Wow, a great deal of common sense in academia. This woman should be promoted.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:28 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
The examples she cited are indecent exposure anyway, and can be covered w existing law. Not all jammies are indecent exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Good on this principal trying to clean up her community. She is educated, professional, and as a black woman who has probably seen a few things, she can call out this ratchet behavior as such. What’s going on in this school?

"A parent came and she had a see-thru top on and you could clearly see her breasts and nipples and she wanted to walk through the school. The next parent came, she had a thong on and low rising jeans she wanted to walk through the school. So when the third parent came, it needed to be addressed," Brown said.

"We have impressionable young men and we have men here. They see things, they're looking. You don't know what's going through their mind. They have raging hormones and so I want to ensure that everyone knows there's a proper way to dress," she said.

'Come dressed appropriately': Madison HS principal defends dress code for parents in interview
https://www.click2houston.com/news/-...s-in-interview

Wow, a great deal of common sense in academia. This woman should be promoted.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:38 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The examples she cited are indecent exposure anyway, and can be covered w existing law. Not all jammies are indecent exposure.
It doesn't have to be indecent exposure for it to be inappropriate. She's setting the rules for her campus. If stricter rules are in place, then it is easier to enforce. Personally, I would have added more 'Don't's to the list and have been more encompassing. I doubt she's going to concern herself with the folks wearing pj's and a head covering in their cars, but the moment that person steps out of the car, she wants them to be respectful to those around her. Could we call what some people wear a 'visual assault'?

I kind of wonder what people do wear in their cars.??? I hear nightgowns. Some nightgowns are pretty frumpy and you wouldn't see anything. What happens if you have a fender bender and you have to step out of the car? I still have an image in my head from about 20 years ago when I went to the store and someone was wearing one of the nightgowns meant for nursing babies. It was yellow and see through. She had on a black bra and underwear. 'Sexy' wasn't my first thought. I had to look just to confirm I wasn't seeing more. The store isn't school, but there is a right and wrong place for certain types of attire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston