Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 06:34 PM

123 posts, read 146,191 times

Advertisements

I am finally planning a move to the Houston area this summer, but I'm having second thoughts after all of the random floodings recently. There are reports of areas and homes that didn't even flood during Hurricane Harvey that was flooded in the recent rainstorms. Are any of you affected by the flooding and do you get nervous when strong rainstorms are forecast? I now view Houston as The Flood City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 06:42 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
My neighborhood flooded in Harvey. Luckily my house was spared, although most of my neighbor’s Homes did flood during Harvey. Our LID now has increased pump capacity which should help.

Our neighborhood is completely dry right now- no flooding.

All of that said, yes, storms scare me. I used to love storms- when the family would all be home- the sound of rain was so relaxing to me. Now I am always scared. I hate it.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:49 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times
Flash flooding has always been a "feature" of Houston. It is now touching areas it generally never has and more frequently. People have competing theories as to why. Probably better for you not to move here.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:56 PM

344 posts, read 346,093 times
Unless your Houston home is on stilts, it will flood at some point. Maybe this year, maybe in 100 years.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:06 PM

When looking at homes on Zillow and Har it is hard to imagine some of those nice homes and neighborhoods flooding. Houston is such a nice city. The flooding problem really sucks and unfortunate.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:07 PM

61,643 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Flash flooding has always been a "feature" of Houston. It is now touching areas it generally never has and more frequently. People have competing theories as to why. Probably better for you not to move here.
Yes. This.
The rains, floodings, hurricanes are not just random, unexpected things. That's the normal part of the Houston climate and somehow also related to infrastructure.
If you are so worried about that, OP, yeah... Houston might not be the place you want to live in.
No ocean views here either

Old 05-08-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes. This.
The rains, floodings, hurricanes are not just random, unexpected things. That's the normal part of the Houston climate and somehow also related to infrastructure.
If you are so worried about that, OP, yeah... Houston might not be the place you want to live in.
No ocean views here either
I know Galveston is not the best ocean to view, but I was looking forward to at least driving down to view the ocean there from time to time.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:07 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Are you planning a long term or short term move? Come visit and look around at areas that have not experienced any flooding yet. You may still like it here.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 PM

61,643 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I know Galveston is not the best ocean to view, but I was looking forward to at least driving down to view the ocean there from time to time.
That's a gulf view Beaches are... so so...
Are you getting a transfer from work? You probably need to know where you will work to look for a place to live. Otherwise, you will spend lots of time living on the highways.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Houston is not the only city that has experienced flooding in recent days and weeks.

Flooding turns deadly in Texas after water submerged Dallas Love Field Airport garage
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...arage/70008088

Man found dead in Lady Bird Lake after being swept away in flood waters
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ers/1989546620

I have lived in Houston my whole life and have experienced many flooding events, I personally have never experienced a flooding loss or a hurricane loss either. Its only in recent years that what is a fairly run of the mill flooding event makes national news. I guess its a sign that Houston has arrived and people in other parts of the country are interested in what is happening here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston