Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times

Advertisements

Operating a vehicle is not a constitutionally guaranteed right. It is a licensed activity which comes with safety precautions. I swear, people complain about the dumbest stuff. Boo Hoo the evil government doesnt want me to die in a crash and makes me spend 2 seconds to buckle a belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 11:18 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Operating a vehicle is not a constitutionally guaranteed right. It is a licensed activity which comes with safety precautions. I swear, people complain about the dumbest stuff. Boo Hoo the evil government doesnt want me to die in a crash and makes me spend 2 seconds to buckle a belt.
Gov't is NEVER your friend unless you are VERY RICH or VERY POOR. I do see your point though.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:18 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I view this law as intrusive and another Nanny state law imposed by the govt. It's my right to wear a safety belt or not to wear a safety belt. This is NOT a "Stupid" tax, just an excuse for greedy Govt to steal more of my hard-earned income.
Just like it's your right to drive in the first place, license or no license?

You don't have the right to drive, its a privilege that the gov has every right to take away if you don't follow the rules. Wear the seat belt, or don't and keep getting tickets, your decision.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:21 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I was driving west on Westheimer towards Beltway from Galleria area. The motorcycle cop was writing No Seat Belt tickets left and right- me included. I guess that the outrageous property taxes aren't enough?
Please be careful.
Got caught? I am sorry... isn't that a law?
https://www.txdot.gov/driver/kids-te...ety-belts.html
https://www.dps.texas.gov/director_s...n/seatbelt.htm

Why would you drive without a seat belt on?

Old 05-23-2019, 04:03 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
They aren't out for blood, they're just trying to prevent having to clean yours up off of the road. The HFD is busy enough, they don't have time to wash you off of Westheimer.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:27 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what business it is of the government how well you fare in a crash. If you want to go without your seatbelt and you get killed, that's your problem (I wear mine, BTW). The government is supposed to protect us from OTHERS, not from OURSELVES.
I say this as a fairly conservative guy.

1). The various .govs have legitimate roles to play regarding public health issues. As it's a proveable that seatbelts save lives and greatly reduce injury quantity and severity.....well there you go.
2). Related to 1). as a great number of those injured in auto accidents do not have the ability to pay their medical bills all this becomes a social cost issue as well.
3). Adults dumb enough to forgo seatbelts are more likely to not buckle their kids.......again there you go.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 PM

344 posts, read 346,093 times
I guess if all the seat-belt dodgers died in wrecks it would get them off the roads. It's the ones who are paralyzed and suck up all our tax and insurance dollars on wheelchairs and whatnot that are the trouble-makers. Seems like a 6-inch spike on the dashboard pointed at the driver and passenger would help clarify everyone's position.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:25 PM

174 posts, read 156,908 times
I know it's hard to convince people seat belt is actually used to protect other people on the road, just like your headlight is actually for other people to see you.

So here is a simple test: remove your seat and try to drive. Under certain condition without seat belt while driving, it's the same situation: you can't control your car and may kill somebody ELSE.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:44 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Memorial Day holiday is a deadly one on highways so I’m guessing rather are ramping it up ahead of that to bring extra awareness.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:09 PM

702 posts, read 1,235,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what business it is of the government how well you fare in a crash. If you want to go without your seatbelt and you get killed, that's your problem (I wear mine, BTW). The government is supposed to protect us from OTHERS, not from OURSELVES.
What if someone hits you? That's not your fault and seat belt will protect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: