Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 11:25 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
You've hit on the really big problem. Lease rates in "hot" neighborhoods like Montrose are really high. A restaurant has to generate lots of high-dollar tickets to pay their monthly rent check. However, there's room for only so many high-dollar restaurants in central Houston (let alone the more outlying areas), even in a city this size.

Restaurateurs have been quoted stating that they feel like there's very few affordable options anymore in the parts of town where they have confidence their envisioned customers could find them. For the most part, they're still too nervous about locating in more pioneering areas like East End, 3rd Ward, Near Northside, etc., though some have made it work (the new Indigo that's gotten so much buzz, for example). Frankly, I think so much comes down to whether they think affluent Anglo women will be willing to venture to a cheaper location.

Also, remember that newly built space will always have a relatively higher lease rate. Plus, too many restaurateurs think they need a fancy build-out that puts them in the hole early. This is Houston - we don't need LA/Vegas/Miami-style hangout spots (despite what some in this forum seem to think).
Yep. The quote about the anglo woman is legit as I used to read the Allison Cook articles and if she ventured into an area she was not used to being in she would spend half the article about the area of town. I used to joke if they felt comfortable eating in the hood your always going to be successful. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 02:01 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Yep. The quote about the anglo woman is legit as I used to read the Allison Cook articles and if she ventured into an area she was not used to being in she would spend half the article about the area of town. I used to joke if they felt comfortable eating in the hood your always going to be successful. lol
I noticed the same things about her articles lol. If she's outside the "arrow" she always let's you know it!

Old 06-06-2019, 08:49 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Will anyone start naming some of these places that have closed?

Old 06-06-2019, 09:06 AM

219 posts, read 226,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Brooklyn Athletic Club, Victor, Pax Americana, Cane Rosso, Woodbar, Canopy, Aqui, Indika, Pass & Provisions...

Old 06-06-2019, 09:16 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I know that the casual New Orleans style cuisine restaurant (Kadna's) which was caddy corner from El Tiempo closed down recently. The food was decent, but I think that their operating hours weren't good (they closed too early) and there are a lot of close by restaurants. A lot of the restaurants to me are just flat out gross or ripoffs. I tried La Cuchara- too overpriced, not tasty and too little food. The converted church ( 1/5) is way overpriced and skimpy on their portions as well. I'm sure that its sister restaurant Georgia Jones is pricey as well. Even a casual breakfast place like Empire Café is hardly a bargain. I prefer Whataburger over Hamburger Joint any day of the week. The old converted movie theater/LGBT bookstore is pretty gross as well. There are few choices to eat that offer casual, inexpensive dining.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:16 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
Brooklyn Athletic Club, Victor, Pax Americana, Cane Rosso, Woodbar, Canopy, Aqui, Indika, Pass & Provisions...
Provisions closed? 😢

That was my favorite!

Old 06-06-2019, 10:18 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I noticed the same things about her articles lol. If she's outside the "arrow" she always let's you know it!
It's funny because she lives somewhere in or near the Pecan Park neighborhood, definitely outside the Arrow.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:20 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
Brooklyn Athletic Club, Cane Rosso, and I think Pax Americana now have new owners and will be rebranded. The chef at Indika sold her restaurant to focus on Pondicherry a couple of years ago - it was never the same after. The owner at Woodbar and Canopy closed to focus on their Heights restaurant. Aqui was doomed from the beginning due to the head chef and domestic abuse history.

Victor was just a bar.

Last edited by Mr. Krinkle; 06-06-2019 at 08:38 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 06:40 PM

93 posts, read 67,971 times
I hope THE HARP does NOT close down!!

Old 06-07-2019, 09:00 PM

92 posts, read 60,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser1990 View Post
I hope THE HARP does NOT close down!!
not sure if you're joking or not?
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...y-12438471.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston