Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 04:09 PM

90 posts, read 62,701 times

Advertisements

I’ve been trying to relocate to Houston for a couple months now. I’ve done a lot of research and still at it. I’m 30 yr black male married with 3 kids. I recently was searching on google and found a program in Texas that I believe pays up to $30k if I read it correctly. Says it covers downpayment and closing cost. Looking to purchase a 4 bedroom with at least two bathrooms under $180k if possible. My job will be located downtown so looking for something that isn’t a horrible commute. Really like the Katy area but think it maybe a little too far. I know any area could potentially flood but looking for areas where it’s less likely to happen. Anyone have any advice on where I should look and what homebuyer programs you’ve used? I’m not from Houston and looking to move there in the spring. Plan to visit in the next couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 06:45 PM

92 posts, read 60,691 times
HAP - https://www.houstontx.gov/housing/hap.html

CRA loan program - https://cadencebank.com/personal/mor...e-loan-program

Old 06-17-2019, 02:42 AM

32 posts, read 42,621 times
Hi there! Houston floods, so no matter what part you move to, flooding is likely to occur. Next, the commute for everyone in the suburbs is 40 minutes+, especially in rush hour.

There are plenty of homes, in your price range, but try to figure out what you want the most. Is it good schools, church, shopping, restaurants, or only the commute? All of these can play a huge part in where you would live. For example, if you want a 20 minute commute, you will need to live inside the loop, 610 or a highway that leads directly to your job.

Where are you moving from?

Old 06-17-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnd915 View Post
Hi there! Houston floods, so no matter what part you move to, flooding is likely to occur. Next, the commute for everyone in the suburbs is 40 minutes+, especially in rush hour.

There are plenty of homes, in your price range, but try to figure out what you want the most. Is it good schools, church, shopping, restaurants, or only the commute? All of these can play a huge part in where you would live. For example, if you want a 20 minute commute, you will need to live inside the loop, 610 or a highway that leads directly to your job.

Where are you moving from?
I’m moving from Baltimore, MD. Mainly wanted good schools for the kids and low crime. That’s what had me looking at Katy. Believe that’s pretty far from downtown. I understand flood happens just want to find somewhere it’s less likely to flood a house. Believe I read the streets are designed to flood.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeHouston View Post
Yes, that’s the program I was referring to. Trying to find an area I can look in so I can figure out if it pays taxes to the City of Houston (one of the requirements).

I did not know about Cadence Bank and their loan. Do you know if you can use both programs?

Old 06-17-2019, 08:27 AM

92 posts, read 60,691 times
I just reread your post and most likely the Cadence CRA program won't work for the areas you're looking in. The CRA works for LMI (low/median) census tracts - https://geomap.ffiec.gov/FFIECGeocMap/GeocodeMap1.aspx

Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeHouston View Post
I just reread your post and most likely the Cadence CRA program won't work for the areas you're looking in. The CRA works for LMI (low/median) census tracts - https://geomap.ffiec.gov/FFIECGeocMap/GeocodeMap1.aspx
I’ll look at the map. Not set on a specific area yet.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:36 AM

32 posts, read 42,621 times
I think you'll benefit moving into an LGI home or KB home if you don't care for the bells and whistles of a masterplanned community. In Katy, there are some homes that fits that price range for new construction and preowned homes. A friend of mine said they moved into an LGI home for $1000 at closing. That was some time ago, but you can still own a home in Katy at $180,000.

Most programs are low to moderate income for first time buyers, but they all have steep commitments.

Seth grant - high interest rate
Tdhsc grant - must be a cop, emt, nurse, firefighter etc.
Home sweet home grant - can't move out for a certain amount of years.

There are more, but are secluded to a target area, or a not so hot place to be. Your best bet is to get a realtor and go for new construction. Most new builders offer incentives when you use their lender but have the realtor negotiate all the details. Look for realtors that says they will help with closing costs if you really need the assistance.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnd915 View Post
I think you'll benefit moving into an LGI home or KB home if you don't care for the bells and whistles of a masterplanned community. In Katy, there are some homes that fits that price range for new construction and preowned homes. A friend of mine said they moved into an LGI home for $1000 at closing. That was some time ago, but you can still own a home in Katy at $180,000.

Most programs are low to moderate income for first time buyers, but they all have steep commitments.

Seth grant - high interest rate
Tdhsc grant - must be a cop, emt, nurse, firefighter etc.
Home sweet home grant - can't move out for a certain amount of years.

There are more, but are secluded to a target area, or a not so hot place to be. Your best bet is to get a realtor and go for new construction. Most new builders offer incentives when you use their lender but have the realtor negotiate all the details. Look for realtors that says they will help with closing costs if you really need the assistance.
Never thought of new construction. I’ll check it out. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: