Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 01:19 PM

59 posts, read 57,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
People don’t realize that apartments are not the problem
The problem is the lack of zoning laws to promote proper growth

People are afraid of what happened in Greenspoint and FM1960 and I-45
Where you have a lot of low income apartments right next to each
And on FM1960 you have a mess between crappy strip malls and a million street lights
Why does FM1960 get such a bad rap on this forum? I don’t live in that area but have been there several times, it seems decent, not as nice as Westheimer but decent enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 01:56 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cska View Post
Why does FM1960 get such a bad rap on this forum? I don’t live in that area but have been there several times, it seems decent, not as nice as Westheimer but decent enough.
I use to live off 1960/Cypress Station when I first moved to Houston and while its not a war zone, it was a bit sketch then. 1960 between 45 and 249 mostly. Haven’t lived there in over 6 years but I do go to Planet Fitness off 1960 and 45. The area since I left has went even further downhill and that’s not an understatement. More businesses seem to be shutting down and the homeless population is increasing. Now you start to see more homeless go into actual businesses and ask people for money. Had a guy literally in the smoothie king drive thru asking ppl for money at night. And mind you I’ve gotten my apartment broken into when I lived there then and it’s only getting worst. Not the worst part of Houston, but you have to be a little more aware in that area every now and then. Especially at night.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:59 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Every time I advocate for home buyers to consider the areas between BW8 and SH 6 / FM 1960 in this forum, I catch a bunch of flack from posters who feel that those areas are deteriorating badly and are poor investments. It's true that the zoned schools in these areas have low rankings (quite a few in Alief and Spring ISDs got rated F by Children at Risk) and are majority low income, but is that really a reason that someone looking for a more affordable suburban home on a typical suburban lot with suburban schools couldn't make a great life there while paying much less for their home and having a shorter commute?
IDK why people in Houston think old is bad. I have lived in places where they gave homeowners of 100 yo houses a plaque to hang on the house. They also lowered the property taxes.

The best house we ever owned was built in the 50's, the 2nd best, a 1916 Craftsman bungalow.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:43 PM

170 posts, read 193,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
So you consider Garden Oaks, where most of the homes sell for $1.2 million and they have private security to be a bad neighborhood?
"they have private security". Wonder why?

Old 06-27-2019, 03:16 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana K View Post
"they have private security". Wonder why?

Because sketchy is right down the street just like the Heights nice then run down shacks.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:33 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Because sketchy is right down the street just like the Heights nice then run down shacks.
But this is literally everywhere in Houston thanks to no zoning laws.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:55 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post

No, not really. I live in Cypress. There's nice neighborhoods then apartments then neighborhoods, etc. Nothing sketchy around here.

Years ago, my aunt bought a townhome near Pinemount. No thank you. Sketchy and Acres Homes where the children adn grandchildren are making the older generation shake their heads and roll over in graves.

The Loop has the real sketchy. No "short commute" is worth paying 500k to millions to live near $500-600 run down apartments. Westbury/Meyerland/all those flood prone neighborhoods with half a million dollar 50s homes with cheap apartments 10 minutes down the street. That is sketchy proximity. You know it's sketchy when the gentrified "I want to live near work" people don't even want to send their children to the neighborhood schools.

No zoning out of the Loop means a gas station, strip center and church will be built right outside your neighborhoods. No cheap apartments are popping up new. Those are all in older areas.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:23 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
No, not really. I live in Cypress. There's nice neighborhoods then apartments then neighborhoods, etc. Nothing sketchy around here.

Years ago, my aunt bought a townhome near Pinemount. No thank you. Sketchy and Acres Homes where the children adn grandchildren are making the older generation shake their heads and roll over in graves.

The Loop has the real sketchy. No "short commute" is worth paying 500k to millions to live near $500-600 run down apartments. Westbury/Meyerland/all those flood prone neighborhoods with half a million dollar 50s homes with cheap apartments 10 minutes down the street. That is sketchy proximity. You know it's sketchy when the gentrified "I want to live near work" people don't even want to send their children to the neighborhood schools.

No zoning out of the Loop means a gas station, strip center and church will be built right outside your neighborhoods. No cheap apartments are popping up new. Those are all in older areas.
Apparently lots of folks who are willing to pay $500K+ to live in those neighborhoods anyway. Same here in West Houston. You can find similar comments for the high-dollar neighborhoods in Dallas. You're just one of those folks who needs "insulation" and for whom urban and inner suburban neighborhoods just aren't appropriate.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:48 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Ummm, lack of zoning laws has nothing to do with nice houses near "run down shacks". Zoning would stop businesses in residential areas, but it won't stop lack of maintenance to 80 year old wood frame houses. Zoning also doesn't stop people from dying intestate, with so many heirs no one can ever get the title straightened out.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 PM

59 posts, read 57,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I use to live off 1960/Cypress Station when I first moved to Houston and while its not a war zone, it was a bit sketch then. 1960 between 45 and 249 mostly. Haven’t lived there in over 6 years but I do go to Planet Fitness off 1960 and 45. The area since I left has went even further downhill and that’s not an understatement. More businesses seem to be shutting down and the homeless population is increasing. Now you start to see more homeless go into actual businesses and ask people for money. Had a guy literally in the smoothie king drive thru asking ppl for money at night. And mind you I’ve gotten my apartment broken into when I lived there then and it’s only getting worst. Not the worst part of Houston, but you have to be a little more aware in that area every now and then. Especially at night.
When did you first move into Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston