Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,894 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Houston area with my family. We are coming from Jersey where we live in close proximity to a large Filipino population.
My parents would be moving with us as well and we're looking for an area with access to Filipino grocery stores, Filipino churches, and a population with a large Pinoy population.
I saw Houston has a Jollibee, Red Ribbon, and a Max's opening up so there has to be a decent amount of Filipinos in the area.
In my research it seems that Pearland has the most Filipinos in the Houston area specifically an area called Shadow Creek. Can anyone tell me what this neighborhood is like? I saw the houses were pretty inexpensive in some areas but I'm wondering if it's safe and if there are indeed a large number of Filipinos. Is it close proximity to Downtown Houston?
I also looked at Missouri City, Sugar Land, Richmond, and Stafford as well and they look nice too but not too familiar with the area on a whole.

Last edited by Diwata; 07-02-2019 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 09:10 PM

33 posts, read 29,374 times
most of the pinoys live south of the city - South Houston, Pearland, Sugar Land, Stafford - Some here in Clear Lake & the west side of League City in Brittney Bay

Old 07-03-2019, 09:05 PM

226 posts, read 310,415 times
My SO is Filipino (born in US, parents immigrated). Yes, it seems that most Filipinos live in sw Houston or southern/SW burbs. In addition to the restaurants you listed, there is a good one in the Energy Corridor (west Houston) called Flip n Patties that used to be a food truck.

[url="http://www.flipnpatties.com"[/URL]

There is a Catholic church is SW Houston, Notre Dame, that had two Filipino priests. The area, though (Alief), is sketchy.

As PP mentioned, Sugar Land and Stafford also have a decent amount of Filipinos.

Where would you be working? The Houston area is as big as Connecticut, so you want to live close to work.

I have read that if you look in Shadow Creek Ranch, the schools in the part zoned to Pearland ISD are much better than those zoned to Fort Bend ISD, if that is important to you.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:48 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwata View Post
I'm considering moving to the Houston area with my family. We are coming from Jersey where we live in close proximity to a large Filipino population.
My parents would be moving with us as well and we're looking for an area with access to Filipino grocery stores, Filipino churches, and a population with a large Pinoy population.
I saw Houston has a Jollibee, Red Ribbon, and a Max's opening up so there has to be a decent amount of Filipinos in the area.
In my research it seems that Pearland has the most Filipinos in the Houston area specifically an area called Shadow Creek. Can anyone tell me what this neighborhood is like? I saw the houses were pretty inexpensive in some areas but I'm wondering if it's safe and if there are indeed a large number of Filipinos. Is it close proximity to Downtown Houston?
I also looked at Missouri City, Sugar Land, Richmond, and Stafford as well and they look nice too but not too familiar with the area on a whole.
The main reason youll find Jollibee and Red Ribbon where you do is that its close to the Texas Medical Center which employees a lot of Filipinos as nurses. However, I dont think too many actually live in the area.

As of 2017, four cities in the greater Houston area had more than 1,000 foreign born Filipino residents:

Houston: 9,892
Pearland: 3,719
Missouri City: 1,339
Sugar Land: 1,105

On a per capita basis, Pearland is the clear winner. If being around a bigger number of other Filipinos is important, Id go there.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:17 AM

344 posts, read 346,093 times
It is weird that so many Filipinos are living in Pearland but there are no Filipino churches there. They are in Sugarland and vicinity.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corridor Chick View Post
My SO is Filipino (born in US, parents immigrated). Yes, it seems that most Filipinos live in sw Houston or southern/SW burbs. In addition to the restaurants you listed, there is a good one in the Energy Corridor (west Houston) called Flip n Patties that used to be a food truck.

[url="http://www.flipnpatties.com"[/URL]

There is a Catholic church is SW Houston, Notre Dame, that had two Filipino priests. The area, though (Alief), is sketchy.

As PP mentioned, Sugar Land and Stafford also have a decent amount of Filipinos.

Where would you be working? The Houston area is as big as Connecticut, so you want to live close to work.

I have read that if you look in Shadow Creek Ranch, the schools in the part zoned to Pearland ISD are much better than those zoned to Fort Bend ISD, if that is important to you.

Good luck to you.
None of the schools in Shadow Creek Ranch are zoned to Pearland ISD although Shadow Creek Ranch is in the city of Pearland. The schools are Alvin ISD and Fort Bend ISD and the Alvin ISD schools are better than the Fort Bend ones.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:44 PM

226 posts, read 310,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
None of the schools in Shadow Creek Ranch are zoned to Pearland ISD although Shadow Creek Ranch is in the city of Pearland. The schools are Alvin ISD and Fort Bend ISD and the Alvin ISD schools are better than the Fort Bend ones.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm not personally familiar with the area, I have only read that the FBISD elementary is one of the ones on Fresno. Didn't realize the other district was Alvin and that its schools are better.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times
We've spoken about this before, but a Filipinotown is emerging near the Texas Medical Center

Old 03-09-2021, 11:06 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
We've spoken about this before, but a Filipinotown is emerging near the Texas Medical Center

Wow that's kind of a dream plaza, all at one location. But these girls are not very cute

Old 03-17-2021, 11:57 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
It is weird that so many Filipinos are living in Pearland but there are no Filipino churches there. They are in Sugarland and vicinity.
A 1999 article from the Chronicle about Asian churches ("Area Asian Catholics to come together in celebration") stated that the Archdiocese so far hasn't made any churches catering to people of Philippine ethnicities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston