Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 10:41 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
It’s sad. Cities like Seattle and Portland are building new light rail lines and it’s working well. Without good public transit used by middle-class people for commuting, a city isn’t a city, just a string of suburbs. The concept of a city is that people share spaces and encounter one another. A city is the most environmentally responsible arrangement for people to live in. Light rail is a key ingredient in most cities in the world. It moves lots of people very efficiently. It’s 100% electric. It’s safer than buses or cars. And it’s a pleasant experience. It lets people sit back and read and not stress about traffic. It’s sad to see Houston failing to run with light rail. Houston will be worse without more light rail, in my opinion.
And to add to your point it makes certain areas more walk able and vibrant. It's a shame how behind Houston is when it comes to a public transit system. The 4th largest city in the nation yet you would never believe it because of certain ways the city is developed. Maybe the Gas and Oil industry has that much of a strangle on Houston politicians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 11:52 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Who told you mass transit is a "pleasant experience?" Trust me it is not always pleasant. Try being cramped like a sardine in a hot subway car (with a suit on), and that is after walking thousands of steps just to get underground.

People on C-D romanticize about rail but I wonder how many people would actually use it on a daily basis if Houston had it. Sure, it's fun to take the subway in Washington D.C. or New York as a tourist, but as a way of life? Houstonians don't want that lifestyle. The Oil & Gas industry has nothing to do with it.

I take the rail to avoid parking congestion at sporting events...other than that there is no reason for me to take metro. I definitely wouldn't take rail to an airport... that trip would take forever!

Old 07-09-2019, 11:55 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
And to add to your point it makes certain areas more walk able and vibrant. It's a shame how behind Houston is when it comes to a public transit system. The 4th largest city in the nation yet you would never believe it because of certain ways the city is developed. Maybe the Gas and Oil industry has that much of a strangle on Houston politicians?
Other than Seattle (who is spending massive amounts) and Houston, everybody else in the country is losing mass transit ridership. Other cities are starting to copy Houston's approach to bus service.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:08 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
We should do BRT in the Washington Avenue corridor instead. Yes, construction is painful for businesses, but it is the right solution.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Who told you mass transit is a "pleasant experience?" Trust me it is not always pleasant. Try being cramped like a sardine in a hot subway car (with a suit on), and that is after walking thousands of steps just to get underground.

People on C-D romanticize about rail but I wonder how many people would actually use it on a daily basis if Houston had it. Sure, it's fun to take the subway in Washington D.C. or New York as a tourist, but as a way of life? Houstonians don't want that lifestyle. The Oil & Gas industry has nothing to do with it.

I take the rail to avoid parking congestion at sporting events...other than that there is no reason for me to take metro. I definitely wouldn't take rail to an airport... that trip would take forever!
For me I don’t live in the loop and I would much prefer to park my car and take light rail to places of interest instead of let’s say hit up Montrose and spend 5 to 10 minutes looking for parking than once I’m done doing what I’m doing in Montrose, get right back in the car, waste more gas and hit up a restaurant in the Heights. Hey what if you want to shop at Montrose, eat at Heights and socialize at Eado on the same night? Still have to hop in the car and maybe back on the freeway to get to those certain destinations. Driving especially in Houston can be stressful at times and it’s only getting worst because more people are moving here.

Nobodies romanticizing we’re just stating why not have other options for public transportation? Your delusional if you think there’s not a handful of Houstonians or transplants who would love to have that option to use a light rail system. Houston won’t have a NYC lifestyle just expand the light rail like most progressive cities in developing countries.

And when I lived in Atlanta I would take the Marta to the airport from Dunwoody or Chamblee every time I’d go out of town. Saved me headache, gas and paying for parking. You have to be a serious homer to oppose alternative options for transportation in the city.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:45 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
I guess I am a "serious homer," but that has nothing to do with my opinion. In fact, earlier in another thread I supported having light rail on Washington Avenue. I've been to many other world class cities across the globe with public transportation.
That informs my opinion. Where we disagree is on the impact to the city of Houston if we don't have it. I don't think it is the end of the world...

Old 07-09-2019, 01:55 PM

472 posts, read 336,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Washington Avenue is hardly undeveloped
East of Heights Boulevard is where the rail was planned. West of Heights Boulevard, we see semi-consistent development. East of it, we see lots of abandoned and underused lots. We see a Salvation Army store, some industrial bakery warehouses, a used car lot, lots of apartment complexes, and lots of surface parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Light rail is most-justified when it can conceivably displace a large number of vehicle trips in a region that suffers frequent and severe traffic congestion and offers limited parking. None of these criteria are met on the Washington corridor.
But they’re exactly met in the Houston area as a whole - which is the bigger picture here. Accordingly to one source I saw recently, Houston suffers the #1 worst traffic congestion in the country - in terms of hours and dollars lost. People are forced to live farther and farther out from downtown to find affordable housing. Texas is among the tops in death rate from automobile accidents. The air quality in Houston is among the worst of cities in the U.S.

These are all serious problems for Houston. And this kind of light rail project on Washington Avenue would help fight all those problems. It would spur development for thousands more people to live in affordable apartments near downtown. It would allow those residents to take transit and even walk or bike to work and to amenities. Every person on a light rail train is one less parking spot needed. Every person on a train is one less risk of an automobile accident. Every person on a train is one less tailpipe spewing smog.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:08 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
Montrose, heights and Eado in the same night...? Taking transit as well... must be a long night. But I suppose if the rail were to expand to Washington it is plenty doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
For me I don’t live in the loop and I would much prefer to park my car and take light rail to places of interest instead of let’s say hit up Montrose and spend 5 to 10 minutes looking for parking than once I’m done doing what I’m doing in Montrose, get right back in the car, waste more gas and hit up a restaurant in the Heights. Hey what if you want to shop at Montrose, eat at Heights and socialize at Eado on the same night? Still have to hop in the car and maybe back on the freeway to get to those certain destinations. Driving especially in Houston can be stressful at times and it’s only getting worst because more people are moving here.

Last edited by hendersj31; 07-09-2019 at 02:21 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 02:17 PM

472 posts, read 336,397 times
Quote:
Who told you mass transit is a "pleasant experience?" Trust me it is not always pleasant. Try being cramped like a sardine in a hot subway car (with a suit on), and that is after walking thousands of steps just to get underground. People on C-D romanticize about rail but I wonder how many people would actually use it on a daily basis if Houston had it. Sure, it's fun to take the subway in Washington D.C. or New York as a tourist, but as a way of life? Houstonians don't want that lifestyle. The Oil & Gas industry has nothing to do with it. I take the rail to avoid parking congestion at sporting events...other than that there is no reason for me to take metro. I definitely wouldn't take rail to an airport... that trip would take forever!
When it’s done decently, mass transit is a wonderful experience. While commuters are filled with red-faced road rage, screaming and pounding their dashboards, they could be sitting back and relaxing and reading the news or watching the scenery or working on their laptop. On mass transit, you can stand up and stretch. You can even sometimes doze off for a bit.

When done right, mass transit is cheaper. No paying for parking. No paying for gasoline. No paying for tolls. No paying for car repairs. Sometimes no need to have a second car - and its associated car payment, car insurance, registration, inspections, and maintenance costs.

And mass transit can be faster. In rush hour, covering 40 miles on I-45 or I-10 takes double the time it does in a commuter bus on the HOV lane (which is a form of mass transit).

Mass transit is so desperately needed because the roads in the Houston area are a mess right now. Houston has one of the longest, most time-consuming, and most deadly commutes in the country. Houston has one of the worst air qualities in the country. Houston’s highways cost us countless billions of dollars. And Houston is an ecological mess.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I guess I am a "serious homer," but that has nothing to do with my opinion. In fact, earlier in another thread I supported having light rail on Washington Avenue. I've been to many other world class cities across the globe with public transportation.
That informs my opinion. Where we disagree is on the impact to the city of Houston if we don't have it. I don't think it is the end of the world...
I for one never said not having light rail is the end of the world, just having the option of light rail would only improve the entire region if done correctly. It's a missed opportunity not to push for more effective transit. When i'm in the loop I'd much prefer that than driving at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Montrose, heights and Eado in the same night...? Taking transit as well... must be a long night. But I suppose if the rail were to expand to Washington it is plenty doable.
I was just using that as an example. I've probably done that in a span of 5 hours a couple of times before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
When it’s done decently, mass transit is a wonderful experience. While commuters are filled with red-faced road rage, screaming and pounding their dashboards, they could be sitting back and relaxing and reading the news or watching the scenery or working on their laptop. On mass transit, you can stand up and stretch. You can even sometimes doze off for a bit.

When done right, mass transit is cheaper. No paying for parking. No paying for gasoline. No paying for tolls. No paying for car repairs. Sometimes no need to have a second car - and its associated car payment, car insurance, registration, inspections, and maintenance costs.

And mass transit can be faster. In rush hour, covering 40 miles on I-45 or I-10 takes double the time it does in a commuter bus on the HOV lane (which is a form of mass transit).

Mass transit is so desperately needed because the roads in the Houston area are a mess right now. Houston has one of the longest, most time-consuming, and most deadly commutes in the country. Houston has one of the worst air qualities in the country. Houston’s highways cost us countless billions of dollars. And Houston is an ecological mess.
BINGO! And I do believe Houston is the most dangerous city to drive in according to

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...t-12865072.php

I don't think the answer to this problem is wider interstates. Light Rail expansion probably won't lessen congestion but it can be a better alternative for the city period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston