Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 06:58 PM

309 posts, read 425,019 times

Advertisements

I have started the much dreaded process of searching for my first home.
I work near the IAH airport (at the intersection of Beltway 8 and JFK Boulevard) while my wife works in the Medical Center south campus, which makes a selection of a decent home in a suburb rather hard when considering both of our commutes.

We visited a few homes in the Cypress area over the weekend and actually liked some homes we saw in Towne Lake. However, we are concerned that both of our commutes will be horrendous from there.

Does anyone have any thoughts about other suburbs that we should consider? Maybe Katy or Sugarland perhaps? I guess either way, one of our commute is going to suffer but I'd rather have that be mine and not my wife's. Our budget is around $300k to $400k.

Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,
RJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 08:26 PM

914 posts, read 1,831,815 times
Look in the Heights. You can take the Hardy toll road to IAH, and she will have a relatively easy commute into the medical center.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:32 PM

472 posts, read 335,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
Look in the Heights. You can take the Hardy toll road to IAH, and she will have a relatively easy commute into the medical center.
This sounds reasonable.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
This sounds reasonable.
Unfortunately, most of the homes available in the Heights are townhomes. My wife does not prefer them, hence the look towards the suburbs.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:26 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Have you looked at Lindale Park? Old homes, likely need updating, but a pretty good location for y'alls commutes. Your spouse would have the option of the Red Line, if her work is near a station.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:49 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
That's a tough one to triangulate, commute-wise. If you're looking for a full-fledged suburb, I would maybe recommend Jersey Village, which is a little closer in than Cypress. You could also find a good ranch house in Spring Branch for the top of your budget, and that would most certainly be a good investment too. Oak Forest/Garden Oaks would also be at the top of your budget, but would be a great place to look. Katy and Sugar Land seem like self-punishment given your commute situation--either location would be stressful for you both, although Sugar Land would probably be a bit better for your wife.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 3,358 times
Fall Creek or Jersey Village

Old 07-31-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Have you looked at Lindale Park? Old homes, likely need updating, but a pretty good location for y'alls commutes. Your spouse would have the option of the Red Line, if her work is near a station.
I did look at it at one point. The only homes there that fit our budget are townhome style, which is not what we are looking for unfortunately.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx7 View Post
I am looking at Jersey Village along with Cypress. Hadn't considered Fall Creek so will look there as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:29 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx7 View Post
Yeah Fall Creek is the first thing that came to mind!!

Lindale Park is now BIG BUCKS but awesome location. It is not "suburb-ish" but some great older single family homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston