U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2019, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Mo City, TX
1,728 posts, read 3,082,763 times
Reputation: 2066

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpearce88 View Post
I’ll look again in Missouri City. Saw a lot of crime when looking at the crime map
You are moving to Houston area, CRIME does and can happen ANYWHERE. The most dangerous part of your daily life will be the commute to and from work, that's a fact. Just don't move to a crack house or associate with gang members and for the most part it will all be OK.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2019, 11:55 AM
 
Location: C.R. K-Tex
5,822 posts, read 9,884,945 times
Reputation: 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtxg View Post
I wouldn't consider Alief - it's not known for being the best of areas. Have you considered Missouri City (Sienna, Quail Valley, Lake Olympia)? I would think with the Fort Bend Tollroad the commute wouldn't be terrible. You mentioned flooding being an area of concern - I'm nearly certain many parts of Humble/Atascocita flooded during Harvey - and I feel like parts of that area have flooded again since then?
Alief closer to Westheimer is nice. The only problem living in the city and inner beltway is that there is a lack of Park-and-Ride stations and the only buses are the locals--with frequent stops and a long travel time Downtown. I estimate the 82 will take 2 hours to reach West Oaks Mall from Downtown.

Luckily your office is in the Skyscraper District, so you can live anywhere in Houston that has a Park-and-Ride. Katy, Cypress, and SW Houston commuter bus stops along Smith-Louisiana.

Paying for monthly parking in a Downtown garage will chip away your earnings. It's better to leave your car in the suburbs and get dropped off relatively in front of the office building than to keep the car in a sketchy, publicly accessible Downtown garage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2019, 02:35 AM
 
Location: Katy, TX
90 posts, read 36,444 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Alief closer to Westheimer is nice. The only problem living in the city and inner beltway is that there is a lack of Park-and-Ride stations and the only buses are the locals--with frequent stops and a long travel time Downtown. I estimate the 82 will take 2 hours to reach West Oaks Mall from Downtown.

Luckily your office is in the Skyscraper District, so you can live anywhere in Houston that has a Park-and-Ride. Katy, Cypress, and SW Houston commuter bus stops along Smith-Louisiana.

Paying for monthly parking in a Downtown garage will chip away your earnings. It's better to leave your car in the suburbs and get dropped off relatively in front of the office building than to keep the car in a sketchy, publicly accessible Downtown garage.
Just looking up the Park and Ride in Humble. The Townsen line taking the 257 bus. Doesn’t seem that bad. Says 30-45. I can deal with that. Doing almost 2 hours now with public transportation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2019, 03:30 PM
 
Location: C.R. K-Tex
5,822 posts, read 9,884,945 times
Reputation: 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpearce88 View Post
Just looking up the Park and Ride in Humble. The Townsen line taking the 257 bus. Doesn’t seem that bad. Says 30-45. I can deal with that. Doing almost 2 hours now with public transportation.
That is one of the north suburb lines. The north suburb lines are along Milam-Travis. That might be an extra block to walk home in the afternoon if you're on the far side of Lousianna Street (don't forget the time for the elevator).

Coming from the NE, Texans tend to avoid public transportation unless it involves paying for parking (and somewhat avoiding a jammed freeway). Oddly there are some people who live in The Loop who drive downtown to work instead of taking the local bus, despite being a 5-10 minute ride because of the ick factor. Had a fellow classmate pay for parking to a downtown internship even though she lived 5 minutes down the street. (It would have been a 10 minute difference on the local bus.)

Also you might want to check out if the place you are buying/renting flooded during Harvey a couple of years ago. People are always illogically fixated on crime, but not flooding! The West Fork of the San Jacinto has a history of flooding the Kingwood/Atascocita areas. The local media (TV and print) was covering the reopening of the Randalls and H-E-B grocery stores after the flood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2019, 04:35 PM
 
3,577 posts, read 1,600,733 times
Reputation: 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That is one of the north suburb lines. The north suburb lines are along Milam-Travis. That might be an extra block to walk home in the afternoon if you're on the far side of Lousianna Street (don't forget the time for the elevator).

Coming from the NE, Texans tend to avoid public transportation unless it involves paying for parking (and somewhat avoiding a jammed freeway). Oddly there are some people who live in The Loop who drive downtown to work instead of taking the local bus, despite being a 5-10 minute ride because of the ick factor. Had a fellow classmate pay for parking to a downtown internship even though she lived 5 minutes down the street. (It would have been a 10 minute difference on the local bus.)

Also you might want to check out if the place you are buying/renting flooded during Harvey a couple of years ago. People are always illogically fixated on crime, but not flooding! The West Fork of the San Jacinto has a history of flooding the Kingwood/Atascocita areas. The local media (TV and print) was covering the reopening of the Randalls and H-E-B grocery stores after the flood.
Riding the bus inside the Loop isn't a 5-10 minute thing. When my car was minorly flooded by Allison, i had to take the bus to work from Midtown to near the Loop and Bellaire. One bus. Turned a 10 to 15 minute car journey into 40 minutes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2019, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Katy, TX
90 posts, read 36,444 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That is one of the north suburb lines. The north suburb lines are along Milam-Travis. That might be an extra block to walk home in the afternoon if you're on the far side of Lousianna Street (don't forget the time for the elevator).

Coming from the NE, Texans tend to avoid public transportation unless it involves paying for parking (and somewhat avoiding a jammed freeway). Oddly there are some people who live in The Loop who drive downtown to work instead of taking the local bus, despite being a 5-10 minute ride because of the ick factor. Had a fellow classmate pay for parking to a downtown internship even though she lived 5 minutes down the street. (It would have been a 10 minute difference on the local bus.)

Also you might want to check out if the place you are buying/renting flooded during Harvey a couple of years ago. People are always illogically fixated on crime, but not flooding! The West Fork of the San Jacinto has a history of flooding the Kingwood/Atascocita areas. The local media (TV and print) was covering the reopening of the Randalls and H-E-B grocery stores after the flood.
Since I’m not able to live in the loop based on my budget I may just have to deal with the commute since I’m hearing that driving will be bad. Google maps says I would.....

Head southwest on Milam St toward Lamar St (52 ft)
Turn right onto Lamar St (335 ft)
Turn right onto Louisiana St (184 ft)

Didn’t think about the elevator or what side of the building I’m on.

I’ve been looking at the flood map for certain areas in Humble. Most weren’t in a flood plan. All I know was to stay out of the 100 plan area all together. How would I find out if it flooded?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2019, 11:20 PM
 
7,059 posts, read 10,242,953 times
Reputation: 3510
If you stretch your budget to $1800 you can rent in Westbury or Willowbend just outside the loop for that it is easy commute to downtown. When looking on Realtor.com check out 77035 and 77096 zipcodes

Last edited by DJboutit; 12-18-2019 at 12:29 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2020, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Katy, TX
90 posts, read 36,444 times
Reputation: 25
Happy New a Year all!

After doing some more research I think I’m set on Humble/Atascocita
or Missouri City. I’ve been looking on HAR for places 10-14 mins from park and ride in those areas. Are the schools decent in these areas? How can I tell if they flooded or if they’re prone to flooding?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2020, 12:54 AM
 
7,059 posts, read 10,242,953 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpearce88 View Post
Happy New a Year all!

After doing some more research I think I’m set on Humble/Atascocita
or Missouri City. I’ve been looking on HAR for places 10-14 mins from park and ride in those areas. Are the schools decent in these areas? How can I tell if they flooded or if they’re prone to flooding?
Humble Atascotia is a awful commute to down town Pearland might be better. I see you want you be outside the beltway a little.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2020, 02:09 AM
 
Location: Katy, TX
90 posts, read 36,444 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Humble Atascotia is a awful commute to down town Pearland might be better. I see you want you be outside the beltway a little.
I was talking to someone who said his parents live in Atascocita and usually takes them 45 mins to get to work. Didn’t think that sounded too bad. HAR said it would take about 30 mins and Park and Ride from Townsen about 45 mins. Those times aren’t realistic?

I understand that living in the loop would be a lot better but my budget will have be looking a little further out. I’m ok with that. I takes me about an hour and 30 mins to get to work on public transportation so I’m use to long commutes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top