Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 12:48 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times

Advertisements

I would probably be going for something not too old but aged just enough to not be too expensive for what you get, simply because it's new. It looks like Post Midtown Lofts still start in the upper 800s. Not terrible. If you don't need a lot of space, and want as much walking environment as you can get there, that's probably along the lines of something I'd be shooting for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 12:51 PM

426 posts, read 1,731,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I would probably be going for something not too old but aged just enough to not be too expensive for what you get, simply because it's new. It looks like Post Midtown Lofts still start in the upper 800s. Not terrible. If you don't need a lot of space, and want as much walking environment as you can get there, that's probably along the lines of something I'd be shooting for.
It would feel nice to pay that much for rent! I pay 1,300 for my 1BR in Denver and its old, garden-level, and has no in-unit washer/drier... and is an unusual steal. Thanks for the specific recommendation.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
It would feel nice to pay that much for rent! I pay 1,300 for my 1BR in Denver and its old, garden-level, and has no in-unit washer/drier... and is an unusual steal. Thanks for the specific recommendation.
Right-o. I have no experience there, though my roomie here in Chicago did live in the Rice Lofts downtown (likely out of your range) back when Post ran it, and said it did not improve for the better when they sold it. For one, the outfit that bought it jacked up the rent for no good reason, even as newer residential stuff was going up all over downtown at the time.

The Pierce Elevated will becoming down and it will only be good for that area and everything along Gray and Webster etc.

You have enough over there that, if working downtown and you can make do shopping at Randalls Midtown, Spec's and maybe Phoenicia since you can just use the 82 bus to get there, you can even make it without owning a car. You can probably ride that bus to work too. It also goes to the Galleria and wherever else on Westheimer. Not fast, but it gets there. The ride into downtown is relatively short and sweet, and that might get you to work. There's probably another line on one of the other streets that will do that, if the 82 doesn't. Bagby, Smith etc. streets run right into the main business district, just underneath the hulking concrete plank that soon won't be.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:46 PM

5,581 posts, read 4,838,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Right-o. I have no experience there, though my roomie here in Chicago did live in the Rice Lofts downtown (likely out of your range) back when Post ran it, and said it did not improve for the better when they sold it. For one, the outfit that bought it jacked up the rent for no good reason, even as newer residential stuff was going up all over downtown at the time.

The Pierce Elevated will becoming down and it will only be good for that area and everything along Gray and Webster etc.

You have enough over there that, if working downtown and you can make do shopping at Randalls Midtown, Spec's and maybe Phoenicia since you can just use the 82 bus to get there, you can even make it without owning a car. You can probably ride that bus to work too. It also goes to the Galleria and wherever else on Westheimer. Not fast, but it gets there. The ride into downtown is relatively short and sweet, and that might get you to work. There's probably another line on one of the other streets that will do that, if the 82 doesn't. Bagby, Smith etc. streets run right into the main business district, just underneath the hulking concrete plank that soon won't be.
Don't forget the new Whole Foods at Louisiana and Elgin. Of course, not everyone's a Whole Foods shopper, but it will at least be there. Disco Kroger in Montrose is also doable on the 82.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:49 PM

5,581 posts, read 4,838,545 times
I know you like walking, but I would strongly suggest investing in a bike as well. Houston is improving its biking network (admittedly, it has a ways to go), it's completely flat for the most part, and biking is frankly more bearable on the hotter days than walking - you'll still sweat, but you generate your own breeze. A number of the office buildings downtown now offer bike parking.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:50 PM

5,839 posts, read 6,109,487 times
Quote:
I live in the Lower Highlands, right in the middle of everything there (by Linger, Little Man). It’s so walkable and gorgeous in many ways. Though summer can be miserable in Denver, too. But I really love the neighborhood. And my apartment is good but not anything more than just that. Smallish, a little gloomy.

I understand that in every city you gain and lose some things and I’m sure I’ll find ways to see the positive sides of Houston that Denver can’t offer.
Yeah, you're right in the middle of all the good stuff there (Linger and Root Down were our favorite restaurants)....TBH, you're probably not going to be able to find a neighborhood in Houston that can match Highlands overall, but you're correct about there being many positives to living in Houston that will make up for, and in some ways, exceed, living in Denver. For starters, since you asked about grocery stores, you won't have to shop at a crappy King Soopers anymore.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 02-08-2020 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-08-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Don't forget the new Whole Foods at Louisiana and Elgin. Of course, not everyone's a Whole Foods shopper, but it will at least be there. Disco Kroger in Montrose is also doable on the 82.
Didn't know that was there. But yeah, that's definitely in play too. They also do the Amazon delivery thing, which works for heavy dry goods. I still wanna pick out my meat and produce, though.

If I wanna go to Kroger, I'd probably just take the 32 Renwick/San Felipe bus running down that stretch of Gray/West Gray that'll get to the River Oaks Kroger over Disco Kroger*

(*for the OP and any other non-Houstonians, that name refers to the Montrose Boulevard/Hawthorne Kroger location south of Westheimer, opened in the 70s, hasn't changed too much)

Old 02-08-2020, 03:27 PM

426 posts, read 1,731,877 times
I guess I should also say I like the laid back/yuppie vibe more than bars/frat. I am googling a little and saw one person say that Midtown is more party-douche central, but obviously I can't put that much into that. I do like peace, quiet, and trees, and see my "good enough" neighborhood in Houston offering a bit of all that. However, it seems like the strongest aspects of midtown are the location to downtown, option for public transit, and walkability. Note, however, that I will have a car and don't actually mind using it as long as I'm not stuck on freeways.

Thanks all!

Old 02-08-2020, 03:31 PM

15,088 posts, read 7,138,928 times
Quote:
Cool! Seems like a ton of people here are recommending mid-town. Is it possible to walk to decent grocery stores in that neighborhood? I will really look into that area when I go there in 10 days. It might actually be the area in staying in.

And downtown Denver probably has more panhandlers. They are everywhere.
There is a decent grocery store on the North end of Midtown, a Randalls between Louisiana and Milam and Hadley and Webster. There is also a Whole Foods at Elgin and Smith. Both are reasonably walkable from anywhere in Midtown. There are also pharmacies, restaurants, and a variety of night life places.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I guess I should also say I like the laid back/yuppie vibe more than bars/frat. I am googling a little and saw one person say that Midtown is more party-douche central, but obviously I can't put that much into that. I do like peace, quiet, and trees, and see my "good enough" neighborhood in Houston offering a bit of all that. However, it seems like the strongest aspects of midtown are the location to downtown, option for public transit, and walkability. Note, however, that I will have a car and don't actually mind using it as long as I'm not stuck on freeways.

Thanks all!
There's that element, but you don't really have to associate with those people if you don't want to. There are places that cater to them, and those that don't, and you'll figure out one from the other pretty quickly. It's just like what I'm doing here going down Milwaukee Avenue through Logan or Wicker Park, there's stuff that's not my scene and stuff that is, and you take what you like and leave the rest.

There aren't many places that offer that kind of urbanity in Houston, not even elsewhere that close to downtown, not "EaDo" or anything on that side. Even some Montrose-area streets have crumbling and/or disappearing sidewalks in more places than they should be.

IMG_9831 by James Fremont, on Flickr

Watch your step by James Fremont, on Flickr

Or, more commonly, there are oak tree roots pushing them off the ground.

Montrose neighborhood streets (like the one in the second shot) lined with oak trees look nice and they're shaded, but there's also a lot of this stuff going on. Staying more east of the Elgin/Westheimer line, the pedestrian infrastructure from block to block tends to hew closer to major-city standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: