Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 12:26 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
What part(s) of Houston are least familiar to you? For example, you grew up on one side of town and rarely venture into another side, or you live in the suburbs and never traveled into Houston city limits, etc.

For me, most of you already know I claim the Northside/NW side of Houston (blacks from NW Houston, particularly the Antoine/Acres Homes area label the area as Northside) because that's where I came up from childhood. I'm familiar with the entire Northside/NW side, but I know about NE Houston, mostly from Rosewood to Scenic Woods. I never go to the East side because there's no reason for me to go over there. I'm starting to become more familiar with W. Houston. I know just as much about the Southside as I do the Northside, and not just the black hoods.
I'd actually count your area of Acres Homes as one of the areas that I never really went into much. I went through there as part of my off-highway Hurricane Rita evacuation run (I lived in Alvin then) but haven't been much closer than passing through on 45 since then.

Even some of the E/NE side I saw from time to time because I'd get sent to high school sports of some sort at Forest Brook/North Forest, North Shore etc. One of those trips actually made me go get a cellphone for the first time, some 20 years ago now, because this was before wi-fi hotspots and SMS texting and I would stop somewhere with a pay phone to call into the newsroom and give them enough information so they can put the teaser to the sports section on the front page. This isn't a problem if I'm sent to Cy-Fair or something instead, but this time being young and dumb I decide to get out at a gas station on Mesa Road, somewhere around Tidwell probably. Of course the pay phone needs change, and this was not going to avoid the attention of this rather aggressive crackhead who's jonesing hard for his next rock and doesn't have the money for it. Nobody got hurt, the paper got out, and I had an early lesson in street wisdom that helped out when I started doing the photo stuff like I'd post on here.

The walking street photo touring came later, when I lived in Houston city, and tended to be where the infrastructure was more conducive to walking. That had mainly to do with why it generally stayed inside the loop. But sometimes I'd take a crosstown bus just to go see a part of the city I'm not familiar with, even if I didn't have an intent on getting out there.

Really, there's not much of the city I haven't at least been through or around once or twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 05:48 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,545,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'd actually count your area of Acres Homes as one of the areas that I never really went into much. I went through there as part of my off-highway Hurricane Rita evacuation run (I lived in Alvin then) but haven't been much closer than passing through on 45 since then.

Even some of the E/NE side I saw from time to time because I'd get sent to high school sports of some sort at Forest Brook/North Forest, North Shore etc. One of those trips actually made me go get a cellphone for the first time, some 20 years ago now, because this was before wi-fi hotspots and SMS texting and I would stop somewhere with a pay phone to call into the newsroom and give them enough information so they can put the teaser to the sports section on the front page. This isn't a problem if I'm sent to Cy-Fair or something instead, but this time being young and dumb I decide to get out at a gas station on Mesa Road, somewhere around Tidwell probably. Of course the pay phone needs change, and this was not going to avoid the attention of this rather aggressive crackhead who's jonesing hard for his next rock and doesn't have the money for it. Nobody got hurt, the paper got out, and I had an early lesson in street wisdom that helped out when I started doing the photo stuff like I'd post on here.

The walking street photo touring came later, when I lived in Houston city, and tended to be where the infrastructure was more conducive to walking. That had mainly to do with why it generally stayed inside the loop. But sometimes I'd take a crosstown bus just to go see a part of the city I'm not familiar with, even if I didn't have an intent on getting out there.

Really, there's not much of the city I haven't at least been through or around once or twice.
The Tidwell corridor has stretches of really hood to middle class. The hood stretch of Tidwell begins at the intersection with Homestead and goes west to Acres Homes. Going east on Tidwell, it gets nicer as it gets suburban.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:41 PM

339 posts, read 798,021 times
What part(s) of Houston are least familiar to you? For example, you grew up on one side of town and rarely venture into another side, or you live in the suburbs and never traveled into Houston city limits, etc.

Spring. I was here when we had the Goodyear Blimp and the best/worst of FM 1960. I never go Eastex side and I-10 East past I-10.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:44 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,005,007 times
For me it's Spring Branch, i drive past it 24/7 but never actually been there, like ever., don't go into the Memorial area to often. Played Club soccer all of middle school, and a substantial part of HS as well as Elementary and if a place had a soccer team/stadium I frequented the area a lot if not, not really. Even most of East Houston i've been to outside of maybe Atascocita/Friendswood and League City.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:00 AM

9,732 posts, read 6,355,618 times
Anything on the East side I never really mess with. Southwest 4 Life!

The Eastside/Southeast is just boring dull, and heavily a manufacturing area that I don't care about. Only times I ever go that way headed to NASA, Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston and Buc-Ees.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:27 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
TIL some people think of Galveston and East Houston as the same place

Old 02-14-2020, 01:24 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,545,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Anything on the East side I never really mess with. Southwest 4 Life!

The Eastside/Southeast is just boring dull, and heavily a manufacturing area that I don't care about. Only times I ever go that way headed to NASA, Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston and Buc-Ees.
Eastside, yes; SE Houston is where a lot of hood-oriented events take place, from car shows to MLK Day and other events in between.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:29 AM

812 posts, read 665,259 times
I was too young to know the details of the change around South Park, Palm Center. We moved to Willow Meadows / Willow Bend St area west of the power lines and North/South railroad track where lots of new construction continued for four or five more years.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:32 AM

812 posts, read 665,259 times
In the 90's I spent quite a bit of at-work time in an area that was super depressed. Bad as places in Baltimore/Philly.

Off Navigation, south of the ship channel. Wonder what it is like today now that the light rail serves it?
Time for some google street view.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:31 PM

77 posts, read 37,775 times
I grew up on the southwest side. I’m very familiar with all of the southwest, west, and going central from there. I never go to the north or the east parts of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston