Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 11:56 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times

Advertisements

Ive never lived in Atlanta but I have spent ample time there. It is however one of my favorite cities and I have spent more than my fair share of time there.

The two stand out from one another in this way: Houston is more diverse and has a better food scene and Atlanta is prettier, has more to do outdoors, and has better public transit.

Crime and traffic are a wash. Neither city is going to win awards for safety or ease of commuting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 04:45 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Funny you say that because me and my wife actually lived in Chamblee and we didn't encounter crime at all in the area. Matter fact Chamblee felt fairly safe. Me personally I say crime is just as "spread" out in Houston as it is in Atlanta.

I've had my apartment broken into in Northwest Houston(Northwest Houston is large so it's a thin line between good areas and bad ones). When I first moved to Houston and stayed with my sister in Humble some one stole her car right out the drive way. My Wife's car got broken into at my sister's apartments in Westchase years ago. We were only there for a good 2 hours and someone broke into the car. Bottom line Houston's crime is not confined as you think. It's easy to avoid crime in both metros but crime can pop up all over each metro.
My point is that its not easy in Atlanta. We're in the Emory area which is one of the nicer parts of town. Knew someone victim of armed robbery on our street at 8pm on a weeknight. My wife knew someone murdered in Decatur. Similar things happen in Buckhead, let alone trendy areas like Midtown, Kirkwood and Inman Park. I lived in Fondren Southwest in Houston, which was rapidly becoming one of the worst parts of town and didn't have the same problems. I just stayed out of the area apartments at night where bad things did happen.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:03 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
The Houston highway and access road system is terribly ugly, and hard to avoid due to the size of the Metro area. Humidity is brutal, though mild winters. Boring terrain.
The feeder road system is uniquely Texan and creates another pathway to detour around an accident on the freeway, instead of sitting in a standstill. It also connects smaller streets to the highway instead of making dead ends. Businesses along the highway are easy to access from anywhere in the metro, unlike having to exit and find the store while driving down a long strip. Just another anti-Texan diatribe from an American ex-resident.

The boring terrain actually lets me enjoy the multiple skylines. The flat land also allows me to put up an antenna to watch TV, and listen to HD FM radio while driving around town in my car without distortion. You might end up in a dead spot in Atlanta with the signals from Stone Mountain blocked because of the topography surrounding your house, and forever beholden to the cable company's exorbitant rates for "video".

7,000,000 (and growing) can't be wrong!

Old 02-20-2020, 07:33 PM

814 posts, read 676,289 times
I grew up in Houston. Worked in Atlanta 2000 to 2014. Eager to get back to TX, checked it out and came to San Antonio. Superior to all other cities.

Lots of medical here too.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:01 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
My point is that its not easy in Atlanta. We're in the Emory area which is one of the nicer parts of town. Knew someone victim of armed robbery on our street at 8pm on a weeknight. My wife knew someone murdered in Decatur. Similar things happen in Buckhead, let alone trendy areas like Midtown, Kirkwood and Inman Park. I lived in Fondren Southwest in Houston, which was rapidly becoming one of the worst parts of town and didn't have the same problems. I just stayed out of the area apartments at night where bad things did happen.
The same exact things can be said about Houston metro area too. I don't see how one can even begin to act like crime is that concentrated in Houston when it's not. Hell i'm in The Woodlands and while your less likely to become a victim of crime here than in other parts of Houston you still can end up a victim. I know because I've witness a couple of incidents in the apartment complex I reside in here in TW. And this is not some inexpensive complex either where you expect these kind of things to happen. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it's not happening to other people. Just turn on the news and see how spread out crime is in Houston.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:02 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
I grew up in Houston. Worked in Atlanta 2000 to 2014. Eager to get back to TX, checked it out and came to San Antonio. Superior to all other cities.

Lots of medical here too.
Yeah, most people outside of San Antonio have never heard of the South Texas Medical Center.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...Medical_Center

It's second in Texas to the TMC here in Houston.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:11 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
Can’t dispute Houston diversity and food.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:26 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The same exact things can be said about Houston metro area too. I don't see how one can even begin to act like crime is that concentrated in Houston when it's not. Hell i'm in The Woodlands and while your less likely to become a victim of crime here than in other parts of Houston you still can end up a victim. I know because I've witness a couple of incidents in the apartment complex I reside in here in TW. And this is not some inexpensive complex either where you expect these kind of things to happen. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it's not happening to other people. Just turn on the news and see how spread out crime is in Houston.
Yeah I scratch my head at those who claim that crime is confined to just certain areas of Houston. It's everywhere, including the suburbs, especially property crime. And really violent crime too, though areas with high gang activity will obviously more of a concentration of that. But your basic mugging or purse snatching happens everywhere, and car break-ins are epidemic in all communities.

Furthermore, I'm sure Houston is no different from other U.S. metro areas in this regard, including Atlanta.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:23 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times
Quote:
I've had my apartment broken into in Northwest Houston(Northwest Houston is large so it's a thin line between good areas and bad ones). When I first moved to Houston and stayed with my sister in Humble someone stole her car right out the driveway. My Wife's car got broken into at my sister's apartments in Westchase years ago. We were only there for a good 2 hours and someone broke into the car. Bottom line Houston's crime is not confined as you think. It's easy to avoid crime in both metros but crime can pop up all over each metro.
Damn, that sucks. NW Houston gets bad as you get closer to the Antoine/Acres Homes area. 290 intersects some rough areas of NW Houston, i.e. Hollister, Tidwell, 43rd, Antoine, etc. The further you get from 290, NW Houston gets suburban going into Jersey Village.

As crazy as this may sound, I like that Houston's bad areas are spread out because people can't say that one side is rougher than another. E, W, N, NE, NW, S, SE & SW all have good and bad areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston