Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 05:04 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
This right here ^^^

In upstate NY (it was a place that was pointed out by the President earlier this week) there is a suburb that was quarantined by the national guard. Even they are still allowed to leave their quarantined neighborhood and food deliveries are still allowed. Hoarding is selfish and stupid. It's selfish because there are lots of elderly or people with mobility issues that can't just whip into HEB and fill up a shopping cart at a moment's notice. And when they do get there, there is no food other than candy bars and potato chips.
Yep. A lot of idiotic fear going on which makes it more likely that others will have to go without unnecessarily.

I'm not quite sure how this ball got rolling to this extent, but this virus has been around for weeks. There are probably tens of thousands of people exposed at this point. The best thing people can do is practice good hygiene and stay away from sick people - not act like they're not about to leave their houses for months as some seem to be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 06:00 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times
This is what I love about the Dallas Morning News compared to the “gloom and doom” Houston Chronicle. The DMN portrays winning and optimism!

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...erstand-texas/

Even the New York Times has a somewhat positive article re: oil...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/b...gtype=Homepage

Last edited by SanJac; 03-13-2020 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Added article

Old 03-13-2020, 07:17 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Yep. A lot of idiotic fear going on which makes it more likely that others will have to go without unnecessarily.
I refuse to live in fear,
I’ll stock up some, because of all the madness
But if I end up dying ... we’ll, I guess it was time to go

Old 03-13-2020, 08:07 PM

403 posts, read 462,348 times
Default Report: Texas is one of the most prepared states for public health disasters in the U.S.

Quote:
Report: Texas is one of the most prepared states for public health disasters in the U.S.

Wyoming, Arkansas and West Virginia were named as the least prepared states, per QuoteWizard

The Report from QuoteWizard took into account Texas hopital preparedness, public health funding, water security, paid time off, seasonal flu vaccines and patient safety rates.
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...ers-in-the-us/

Old 03-13-2020, 08:42 PM

342 posts, read 803,077 times
I understand the panic because it is the first time for everybody, but hoarding is just ridiculous. I know a few who bought 20 cases of water- lol. I have filter (tank filled purification) water at work, just fill those by gallons. What we experience will be like S.Korea than China. In China during their height, you can still go to supermarket, pharmacy and hospitals. They will limit per visits, but we are totally different from China because they didn't let you have free access to media. So most older people didn't know what hit them until the virus was everywhere. Most of the hardest hit like the country Italy, Madrid, Tehran, Daegu and Wuhan are cold climate country, or cities which makes the virus last long. As always, never let your guards down. I can't wait when numbers go down and it is back to normal within 2 weeks.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:16 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Wont be normal in 2 weeks, 2 months maybe.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:29 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I honestly feel sorry for the people on March 11-13 just now saying "start preparing". People should have been preparing in mid-January when this was getting big in China. I sent text messages to family and friends to start preparing then and some did. Those that didn't at least started to last week.

Some of the things you need:

Vitamin C and D
Dried fruit
Jerky
Rice
Beans
Spam
Candy, preferable chocolate
Water
Chips
Sports drinks
Canned veggies

And honestly if you're overweight or obese, you don't even need that much protein and can survive off of your fat and vitamins for six months at least.

Yes toilet paper isn't the most important thing to get but I understand why people get them. Just like I understand why people get canned goods but that's not the best either. Canned goods make a lot of noise and weigh things down. Hindsight all of the camping I did as a teenager and the survival tips I learned will pay dividends as this thing gets worse.
Thank you SOOO much.

How much of food items I need? I will go buy them tommorow and other stuff.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
When they did a lockdown in other countries people were still allowed to go grocery shopping and order food delivery so people are just being dumb right now.
Thank you for responding chris_ut,

I appreciate it. What does lockdown mean and why would that happen in the USA?

Old 03-13-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
This right here ^^^

In upstate NY (it was a place that was pointed out by the President earlier this week) there is a suburb that was quarantined by the national guard. Even they are still allowed to leave their quarantined neighborhood and food deliveries are still allowed. Hoarding is selfish and stupid. It's selfish because there are lots of elderly or people with mobility issues that can't just whip into HEB and fill up a shopping cart at a moment's notice. And when they do get there, there is no food other than candy bars and potato chips.
Yes, some people are really just silly. Go to the store and purposely buy everything.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:57 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
They forgot to include this

Texas Has the Highest Uninsured Rate in the Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston