Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Houston metro lockdown/shelter in place?
Yes 41 57.75%
No 30 42.25%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 01:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,141,425 times

Advertisements

The Philippines' death rate of 8.4 percent was higher than Italy at 7.9 percent and the United States at 1.6 percent when there quarantine began in mid March. The Philippines also have very harsh punishment for violating curfew.

Once again, look at the chart. Cases are growing fast.
https://covid19info.live/philippines/

Does warm humid weather does appear to slow the spread? Maybe a bit, but not enough to contain the virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 05:53 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,317,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
The Philippines' death rate of 8.4 percent was higher than Italy at 7.9 percent and the United States at 1.6 percent when there quarantine began in mid March. The Philippines also have very harsh punishment for violating curfew.

Once again, look at the chart. Cases are growing fast.
https://covid19info.live/philippines/

Does warm humid weather does appear to slow the spread? Maybe a bit, but not enough to contain the virus.
Relatively, no they aren’t growing fast considering the virus has been there since before Italy or the US. The virus wasn’t waiting for the right moment to expand it just never got the foothold it got elsewhere. Comparing the Philippines with Italy, Spain, or the US is a dangerous false equivalence.

Death rate is irrelevant to this conversation because we’re talking about spread which is different from how many people die from it.

There is a difference between the following two statements, but the media and people as a whole act as though there the same:

“Heat and humidity significantly slow the spread of the virus”

“Heat and humidity kill the virus”

The first statement is objectively true based on studies done by MIT, scientists in China, the WHO, the Coronavirus task force, and the university of Maryland among others. That’s why all the experts are now talking about the seasonality of the virus. It’s the weather that makes it season.

The 2nd statement has no truth to it at all. There’s a difference between slowing spread and killing the virus. Heat and humidity do not kill the virus, they slow the spread. Our brain dead President and his dittoheads are the only ones that ever claimed this.

I am NOT arguing against the measures we have in place. We need them to force the virus to a halt as quickly as possible. But what good does denying data about spread and heat do? You can still be for the restrictions we have and also acknowledge the obvious role heat and humidity play. I am.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:12 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,009,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Relatively, no they aren’t growing fast considering the virus has been there since before Italy or the US.
Some isolated coronavirus cases appeared in the US when it was mainly a thing in China, but it took awhile for the real wave to come.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:45 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,317,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Some isolated coronavirus cases appeared in the US when it was mainly a thing in China, but it took awhile for the real wave to come.
It did take about three weeks from the time of first reported case to daily exponential growth in the US. However, its been about two months in the Philippines and they aren't seeing anywhere near that growth rate despite the much higher population density.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:29 AM

4,874 posts, read 10,009,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I was not in favor of a shelter in place edict. For my family there is no change because we were already self-isolating. My job also enables me to WFH. If it keeps people with no common sense from gathering in large crowds then I guess it’s a good thing.
Sadly not everyone is as self-disciplined as you and your family :-(

If we had massive testing a la South Korea it would be a lot easier.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:32 AM

1,664 posts, read 964,822 times
Quote:
Sadly not everyone is as self-disciplined as you and your family :-(

If we had massive testing a la South Korea it would be a lot easier.
I haven't spent a lot of time trying to understand the causes of the issue, but the key take-away for me from this crisis is the utter lack of preparation for mass testing of Coronavirus. Especially, when as you point out, other countries such as South Korea were able to test large numbers of people. This is the one failure I put on government leadership.

I'm not into the "blame game" because frankly this event is unprecedented. Even though we saw what was happening in China I don't think anyone really believed it was going to spread to the United States the way it did. People can blame Trump all day (which I think is political), but I can tell you that Corporate America was NOT prepared for what has happened - even global companies. Companies really did not start unifying against the Coronavirus until around mid-March, when it began to spread in the U.S. There was a local response when it was in China, and then in Italy...but when it hit the U.S. then the response became a global response.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:13 AM

471 posts, read 846,153 times
Quote:
They were testing only people who had been in China. It looks like community spread was already on-going but they were dismissed as general respiratory viruses. This happened in Europe as well. Apparently there was a high incidence of Viral pneumonia going back to December.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:14 AM

471 posts, read 846,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I haven't spent a lot of time trying to understand the causes of the issue, but the key take-away for me from this crisis is the utter lack of preparation for mass testing of Coronavirus. Especially, when as you point out, other countries such as South Korea were able to test large numbers of people. This is the one failure I put on government leadership.

I'm not into the "blame game" because frankly this event is unprecedented. Even though we saw what was happening in China I don't think anyone really believed it was going to spread to the United States the way it did. People can blame Trump all day (which I think is political), but I can tell you that Corporate America was NOT prepared for what has happened - even global companies. Companies really did not start unifying against the Coronavirus until around mid-March, when it began to spread in the U.S. There was a local response when it was in China, and then in Italy...but when it hit the U.S. then the response became a global response.
I used to lead ERM (enterprise risk management) for a publicly traded company and unfortunately a pandemic risk was far from being considered a top 10 risk.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:24 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Texas, and in particular both Houston and Austin, are looking like a million bucks now for stopping the rodeo and SXSW. Remember how that seemed like overreacting.
Had they gone on, we'd be looking at an entirely different boardstate right now. Not just in the cities but in all the little country towns where all the people go back to from those events.

Don't ********** up. Don't go out if you don't have to. Don't interact with people you don't have to.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:31 AM

40 posts, read 31,422 times
When the State tells you it's safe to go to Home Depot to buy a sponge but dangerous to go and buy a flower, it's not about your health.
When the State shuts down millions of private businesses but doesn’t lay off a single government employee, it's not about your health.
When the State bans dentists because its unsafe, but deems abortion visits are safe, it's not about your health.
When the State prevents you from buying cucumber seeds because it's dangerous, but allows in person lottery ticket sales, it's not about your health.
When the State tells you it's dangerous to go golf alone, fish alone or be in a motor boat alone, but the Governor can get his stage make up done, and hair done for 5 TV appearances a week, it's not about your health.
When the state puts you IN a jail cell for walking in a park with your child because it’s too dangerous, but let’s criminals OUT of jail cells for their health- It’s not about YOUR health!
When the state tells you it’s too dangerous to get treated by a doctor of chiropractic or physical therapy treatments yet deems a liquor store essential- It’s not about your health!
When the State lets you go to the grocery store or hardware store but is demanding mail-in voting, ITS NOT ABOUT YOUR HEALTH.
WAKE UP PEOPLE — If you think this is all about your health you’re mistaken! Please open your eyes! Stop being lead like blind sheep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston