Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Houston metro lockdown/shelter in place?
Yes 41 57.75%
No 30 42.25%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 11:53 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shytiger View Post
When the State tells you it's safe to go to Home Depot to buy a sponge but dangerous to go and buy a flower, it's not about your health.
When the State shuts down millions of private businesses but doesn’t lay off a single government employee, it's not about your health.
When the State bans dentists because its unsafe, but deems abortion visits are safe, it's not about your health.
When the State prevents you from buying cucumber seeds because it's dangerous, but allows in person lottery ticket sales, it's not about your health.
When the State tells you it's dangerous to go golf alone, fish alone or be in a motor boat alone, but the Governor can get his stage make up done, and hair done for 5 TV appearances a week, it's not about your health.
When the state puts you IN a jail cell for walking in a park with your child because it’s too dangerous, but let’s criminals OUT of jail cells for their health- It’s not about YOUR health!
When the state tells you it’s too dangerous to get treated by a doctor of chiropractic or physical therapy treatments yet deems a liquor store essential- It’s not about your health!
When the State lets you go to the grocery store or hardware store but is demanding mail-in voting, ITS NOT ABOUT YOUR HEALTH.
WAKE UP PEOPLE — If you think this is all about your health you’re mistaken! Please open your eyes! Stop being lead like blind sheep.
Most of this isn't true. So what's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 07:12 PM

40 posts, read 31,869 times
Some of us see the forest through the trees. That forest is burning down quickly. Only a full functional economy stops the fire.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:26 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Some of us see the forest through the trees. That forest is burning down quickly. Only a full functional economy stops the fire.
It'll take more than opening dine-in at Chili's to make the economy function.
There's no travel. No travel means no demand for oil.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:58 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
Quote:
Immigrant-heavy Houston has a tremendous number of small mom and pop businesses, the usual portals of entry into the American economic and social fabric for first-generation immigrants. All employing heavy numbers of working-class labor while contributing sales tax to local government.

One has to wonder what effect a prolonged shutdown will have on their viability post-COVID lockdown, when also taking into account the collateral effects of the economic downtown in O&G in Houston.

A terrible perfect storm. Terrible for everyone depending on them for their livelihoods and terrible for Houstonians overall.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:50 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It'll take more than opening dine-in at Chili's to make the economy function.
There's no travel. No travel means no demand for oil.
This.

Even if there was no restrictions, people wouldnt be rushing to get on airplanes or drive long distance with the virus going around. You cant raise the price of oil until people actually need it. Oil would still be where it is.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:19 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This.

Even if there was no restrictions, people wouldnt be rushing to get on airplanes or drive long distance with the virus going around. You cant raise the price of oil until people actually need it. Oil would still be where it is.
My last day working at my old job was March 17. It closed three days before it would've been "ordered" to. We'd lose more money being open for nonexistent tourists than we would just mothballing the thing 'til people want to travel again.

This is going to be devastating news to some folks who couldn't understand why, but I can tell you that international tourists don't travel for the sake of the local economies of the places they visit, and they will not make economic kamikazes of themselves patronizing the barbecue joints down there either.

The economy will reopen when the consumers decide. Not politicians. Not protesters, who can try to bully politicians into irresponsible public health policy but can't force people into crowded bars for the purpose of saving a segment of the service industry that's inherently sunk in a global pandemic situation.

Forget customers, would you want to be the one tending bar, with no PPE, handling stuff that people put in their mouths?me, I'll pass.
What's the purpose of a socially distant bar with no sports on TV? I can drink at home for less and get the same effect.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
My last day working at my old job was March 17. It closed three days before it would've been "ordered" to. We'd lose more money being open for nonexistent tourists than we would just mothballing the thing 'til people want to travel again.

This is going to be devastating news to some folks who couldn't understand why, but I can tell you that international tourists don't travel for the sake of the local economies of the places they visit, and they will not make economic kamikazes of themselves patronizing the barbecue joints down there either.

The economy will reopen when the consumers decide. Not politicians. Not protesters, who can try to bully politicians into irresponsible public health policy but can't force people into crowded bars for the purpose of saving a segment of the service industry that's inherently sunk in a global pandemic situation.

Forget customers, would you want to be the one tending bar, with no PPE, handling stuff that people put in their mouths?me, I'll pass.
What's the purpose of a socially distant bar with no sports on TV? I can drink at home for less and get the same effect.
True. And sadly, when businesses are ordered are open, many people will be forced to return to work despite health risks, because they'll lose their unemployment. And with no childcare available. Decisions are being made right now based on short-term political gains rather than long-term, sound strategies.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:22 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
True. And sadly, when businesses are ordered are open, many people will be forced to return to work despite health risks, because they'll lose their unemployment. And with no childcare available. Decisions are being made right now based on short-term political gains rather than long-term, sound strategies.
And what to do instead? Keep sitting at home?

Old 04-24-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
And what to do instead? Keep sitting at home?
Well, I don't know. But it's not clear to me that much has changed since the stay-at-home order started. We've done pretty well here in Houston, probably because we've all been staying at home. So when people start going back to work, I expect people will start getting sick. And dying. So yeah, I'm going to stay at home as long as I can manage. And yes, I feel badly for people who can't make that choice.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:25 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Well, I don't know. But it's not clear to me that much has changed since the stay-at-home order started. We've done pretty well here in Houston, probably because we've all been staying at home. So when people start going back to work, I expect people will start getting sick. And dying. So yeah, I'm going to stay at home as long as I can manage. And yes, I feel badly for people who can't make that choice.
Personally I work from work few days a week and from home rest of the week. Kind of perfect balance. Our parking lot is getting more packed and overall traffic is getting denser. I know it feels scary when all who survived layoffs will show up at work at the same time, but we gotta keep going and delivering results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston