Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Houston metro lockdown/shelter in place?
Yes 41 57.75%
No 30 42.25%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 05:36 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Dallas County just issued a Stay-at-home order yet Houston metro area has more cases. At least the last time I checked.
DFW has more cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 06:10 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
DFW has more cases.
Damn Dallas county really jumped cause I do remember seeing more cases in Harris county initially than in Dallas county.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:25 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
Our case count hasn’t jumped a lot, and we’re coming up on a week since most of the spring breakers got back in to town. The only issue I can really see is that people are starting to get bored, and since our case count hasn’t exploded (obviously because people actually have been staying home), they’ll start to take it less seriously.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:30 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
Quote:
If climate plays no role in ease of spread (which I seriously doubt), several things need to be clarified:

1) Why are cold and dry climate places being hit much harder with number of new cases? Even places with high density and much closer ties to China have had very low spread relative to places like Europe or South Korea. This is inevitably when someone says “but new cases are being reported in hot and humid countries”. Of course they are, but at an absolute fraction of a percentage as Europe. No one was hypothesizing that the virus would cease to exist in hot humid places, just that the rate of spread would be far lower.

2) What does it imply about those places where spread has been much slower? We have talked frequently with our family in Thailand and it is a concern there but not like it is here. They also do testing there at a higher frequency than we do here. They are currently around 600 cases which is not nothing, but it is little compared to the US and Europe. So how are the numbers in places like Thailand and the Philippines so much lower when their ties to China are so much greater as is their population density?
You’re forgetting that much of Europe lives very densely. Public transportation is much more commonly used. They are culturally much more social than we are.

Places where it has been slower like Thailand, perhaps it is easier for them to self-isolate than here or Europe. The sense of doing what’s right for the community is much stronger.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
You’re forgetting that much of Europe lives very densely. Public transportation is much more commonly used. They are culturally much more social than we are.

Places where it has been slower like Thailand, perhaps it is easier for them to self-isolate than here or Europe. The sense of doing what’s right for the community is much stronger.
The cities in Thailand are WAY more dense.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:40 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Quote:
Ive read papers saying there’s a high probability it’ll be cyclical. What the overwhelming consensus seems to be is: “it’s a new virus so we don’t know”.

Anthony Fauci was just on TV saying it’s very possible that it’ll be cyclical.

And sorry but I don’t turn a blind eye to data.
To say that it might be cyclical is not the same thing as to say that climate is a factor. I don't see anyone saying that climate will play a significant factor in slowing the spread of the disease. I looked--I wanted to find someone who would say that.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
To say that it might be cyclical is not the same thing as to say that climate is a factor. I don't see anyone saying that climate will play a significant factor in slowing the spread of the disease. I looked--I wanted to find someone who would say that.
Yeah, it is the same thing. What do you think makes it cyclical?

Old 03-22-2020, 07:31 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Our numbers haven't risen because they aren't testing anyone for it.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:50 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Quote:
Yeah, it is the same thing. What do you think makes it cyclical?
Right, the seasons are cyclical too, but the thing with this virus is that it didn't start with the usual cycle. It started later, which means it will likely go later. At least that's what I've read. I don't know for sure and while I'm usually a little annoyed when I'm proven wrong, this is one I'd literally cry with joy to be wrong about.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:10 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,025,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Our numbers haven't risen because they aren't testing anyone for it.
This is what I think too... lack of testing availability in the Houston area has been a huge disappointment.

Having said that, would a “lockdown” be much different than how we are currently operating? Most people are already working remotely if they have that capability.

What is an essential job? Broadly, health care work is considered essential, as are government jobs that provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public, such as first responders. People who work in construction, public transportation, utilities (water, sewer, gas, electric, sanitation, internet, telecommunications, etc.) are also considered essential, as well as food service providers, such as grocery stores and restaurants that prepare food only for delivery or carry-out.

People who work in construction are considered essential? I guess that means my neighbor’s home remodel will continue during this crisis? I don’t consider that essential at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston