Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:27 AM

59 posts, read 53,928 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I spent 5 weeks in Houston about 10 years ago...lived on campus at University of Houston and taught summer school in Magnolia Park. I find your city fascinating. I thought the food was great, people were friendly, and I actually think it's quite a beautiful city. I live in San Francisco and am interested in cities that offer a lower COL, but still offer great and diverse cultural amenities, food options, art scene, etc.

With all that said, can I ask what your favorite part(s) of Houston are? Can be totally subjective...from malls to restaurants to parks to streets to neighborhoods. Just interested in hearing from Houston residents about their city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 01:12 PM

332 posts, read 260,693 times
I'm partial to SW Houston outside the loop but inside the beltway - especially areas like Chinatown, Sharpstown, M. Gandhi district, Little Colombia stretch off Richmond, etc.

Diverse assemblage of "hole in the wall" restaurants serving up some of Houston's most authentic international cuisine. Some of the neighborhoods around that area are actually quite nice (and reasonably priced) if you're living around single, detached houses and not near apartment complexes.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:17 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
To live or to visit? I imagine you mean visit and it’s hard to pick one. I generally like the Midtown-EaDo-Montrose-Museum Dostrict-Downtown area as a whole. Each of those district is different but this is where it’s centered.

Also love Chinatown and Little India for good ethnic food. And due to my heritage, I love the Cinco Ranch area of Katy. Amazing Venezuelan food. Check out The restaurant bakery area of Harvest Market.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:57 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneducator415 View Post
Hello!
I spent 5 weeks in Houston about 10 years ago...lived on campus at University of Houston and taught summer school in Magnolia Park. I find your city fascinating. I thought the food was great, people were friendly, and I actually think it's quite a beautiful city. I live in San Francisco and am interested in cities that offer a lower COL, but still offer great and diverse cultural amenities, food options, art scene, etc.

With all that said, can I ask what your favorite part(s) of Houston are? Can be totally subjective...from malls to restaurants to parks to streets to neighborhoods. Just interested in hearing from Houston residents about their city!
Where do I start?

I think my favorite street in Houston is Main Street near what is now Hotel ZaZa (used to be the Warwick Hotel). Mecom Fountain sits in the center of the roundabout and is a popular landmark in the city. The live oak trees that line Main headed towards the Texas Medical Center are really beautiful.

I love all the parks (Hermann, Discovery Green, Buffalo Bayou Park, Memorial), but I guess my favorite is Memorial Park.

Something I really love about Houston is the drive towards the coast. We are so fortunate to be a coastal city. Nothing beats driving on 45 South and hitting those first views of the Bay and smelling the ocean breezes. Crossing the Galveston Causeway is super enjoyable to me (I also enjoy crossing the Port of Houston bridges). I love going to Galveston just to have lunch at Gaido’s and look out at the Gulf of Mexico.

Speaking of food...there are so many favorite spots. One of my “old” favorite spots is this little “hole in the wall” Puerto Rican restaurant on Fairview called Tex Chick of all things! It has about 5 tables in the restaurant and the kitchen is literally on the other side of the counter. It used to be a “mom and pop” place. I loved going there on Saturdays. Dona Carmen would make homemade flan and when I finished my plate of carne guisada she would ask me if I wanted seconds! She also used to criticize how Mexicans put cumin in Mexican rice. Her arroz y habichuelas were to die for! And the fresh tostones with garlic were just so good! Dona Carmen and her husband Teo sold the place several years ago. It’s still there but not quite the same for me.

I’ll end with something you will be familiar with. One of my enjoyable treks is driving to UH, but on the back roads, not taking the freeway. I like to drive through downtown on Texas Avenue passing by Minute Maid Park, and follow the metro rail line. I turn right on Sampson which eventually turns into Scott Street. It fascinates me to see how this area has changed over the years. Of course once I pass I45 on Scott Street I HAVE to get me some FRENCHY’S chicken! OMG I love their chicken, and gumbo, and a slice of lemon Bundt cake! There is no better fried chicken in the city of Houston than Frenchy’s. You may already know that the original location was sold on Scott street and they are building another location right across from TDECU stadium. Last time I went there they had a temporary location a little bit further down on Scott.

I could go on and on...but I will stop now! You really made me think...

Old 04-20-2020, 12:07 AM

92 posts, read 60,645 times
fave streets - parkwood, north blvd, south blvd, i like bissonnet from west u to museums, i agree mecom fountain round about is great and love the houses there too. driving around rice univ is nice. I like macgregor and the homes in riverside. RO is great too of course (especially the older homes)

The restaurants are amazing too. Tamashi for ramen, hu's next door, crawfish, viet crawfish, popular spots like nancy hustle and theodore rex, rays bbq, frenchys, spanish village, sushi, etc

I like mason park in the east end bc the bayou runs through it, parkwood park is great too.

150 miles of bike trails connecting most of the innerloop through the bayous is pretty cool too.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:11 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,837 times
NW Houston. High growth area with suburban neighborhoods, close proximity to any freeway: 290, 610, 249, Beltway 8 & 45 (depending on where in NW you live). Rural feel as you travel further north on 249 or 290. Of all sides of Houston, NW Houston is among the safest areas of the city.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:24 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
My favorite area is the museum district. The museums are nice but it's also just a great area to walk around. The trees provide a ton of shade even on hot days and I love the Japanese Garden in Hermann Park.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:21 AM

7 posts, read 11,968 times
My favorite spot is...

The canoe launch ramps near downtown.

Seeing the city from the paddle perspective was when I deeply realized this city's inner beauty.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Grizzled View Post
My favorite spot is...

The canoe launch ramps near downtown.

Seeing the city from the paddle perspective was when I deeply realized this city's inner beauty.
Just watch out for those water moccasins, submerged corpses, hungry gators, and viscous river otters!

Glad you’re making the most of the area. I believe the boat launch area was where the dragon boat races launched from during the Lunar New Year celebrations.

My favorite area of Houston changes depending on my mood:

Ethnic eats: Chinatown/Sharpstown/Mahatma Gandhi district
Museums: MFA
Hiking: Memorial Park
Biking: Buffalo Bayou
Gardens: Hermann Park area, including the new McGovern Centennial and the Japanese Garden.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:07 PM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Just watch out for those water moccasins, submerged corpses, hungry gators, and viscous river otters!

Glad you’re making the most of the area. I believe the boat launch area was where the dragon boat races launched from during the Lunar New Year celebrations.

My favorite area of Houston changes depending on my mood:

Ethnic eats: Chinatown/Sharpstown/Mahatma Gandhi district
Museums: MFA
Hiking: Memorial Park
Biking: Buffalo Bayou
Gardens: Hermann Park area, including the new McGovern Centennial and the Japanese Garden.
I really hate those oozing little critters. That's a hilarious misspelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston