Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 11:45 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I dont know if youre addressing me or not. I never claimed that COVID is like the flu so youre presenting a point that I wasnt arguing.

Yes, there are some deaths that havent been accounted for. However, that number is a tiny, minuscule, FRACTION of cases and infections that are not accounted for.
One of the principles of math is that the higher the total number, the higher even a "miniscule" percentage of that number will be. At least I think that's the way it works. I don't really care if it winds up being .7% or if it's 6%--it's still a huge number when compared to the usual death rate, which means, wait for it.... there are a LOT more deaths because of the virus. My point is that you are equivocating numbers to make it seem like the deaths are tolerable, or not that big a number. But your argument is based on smoke and mirrors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 05:04 AM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I don't know how someone in the medical science can look at the numbers and say this with a straight face. The 'death rate' for Covid is around 6% in the US which makes it more than a hundred times worse than the flu. We're on track to exceed 100k deaths by the end of the month and who know how many before the first wave ends.
6% of what?
Population? People tested? Or people that were found to have the virus?

Old 05-19-2020, 07:01 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times
??

Putting the social distancing and isolation aside, I don’t see how COVID 19 would otherwise impact the flu death statistics: they are generated from mathematical modeling. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

Also the CDC includes any death which flu contributes to as a flu death even if the final cause of death was something else. The Chinese government paper Global Times talks about that here https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1177725.shtml

One can get flu and COVID at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
wish I had a 'fact-based' detector

the death by CV19 numbers are such that normal flu and pneumonia deaths are down 50%

Old 05-19-2020, 08:47 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
6% of what?
Population? People tested? Or people that were found to have the virus?
I think it would be Case Fatality Rate or CFR. = # of Deaths from Covid-19/# of Confirmed Cases.

The Infection Fatality Rate or IFR = # of Deaths from covid -19/# of Total Infections (Confirmed or not).

The CFR would have a higher rate becasue the denominator is smaller. We wont know the IFR for some time, until broad antibody testing is available. My doctor recommended against antibody test because they are still trying to determine the reliability.

# of Total Infections > # of Confirmed Cases.

Or so how I understand the math.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:18 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,164,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
I think it would be Case Fatality Rate or CFR. = # of Deaths from Covid-19/# of Confirmed Cases.

The Infection Fatality Rate or IFR = # of Deaths from covid -19/# of Total Infections (Confirmed or not).

The CFR would have a higher rate becasue the denominator is smaller. We wont know the IFR for some time, until broad antibody testing is available. My doctor recommended against antibody test because they are still trying to determine the reliability.

# of Total Infections > # of Confirmed Cases.

Or so how I understand the math.
Yes. Just divide the total number of deaths attributed to Covid by the 'number of cases'. At this point neither number is that reliable, but the true 'death rate' is probably a little under 1% according to most experts. According to the CDC who thinks the true fatality rate is 0.6% the fatality rate for flu in most year is 0.1%. These numbers are all estimates since it's impossible to keep track of how many people got the flu and how many died from it.

Regardless of these statistics we're on track to blow past 100k deaths in the US this week and the way the trend lines are going this thing isn't really slowing down. The latest model predicts 140k deaths from the first wave along, but I see no evidence we're in a wave - it's more like a plateau.

I can understand wanting to open things up for those less concerned about their health for the benefit of the economy, even at the high cost, but I don't get why some people insist that wearing a mask infringes on their freedom in a fundamental way. Exactly what activity does a mask prevent you from engaging?

Old 05-19-2020, 10:25 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,519,884 times
Well China is shutting down again due to the second wave of the virus. How many waves are going to be?
I don't think shelter in place in Houston was not a right decision. At that time it was a reasonable strategy. Especially with this new virus. However I tend to believe that Sweden, even though criticized heavily, has more efficient approach overall. They didn't shut down during the first wave, they already went through this and are now better prepared to deal with the second wave. And overall math after all the waves combined most likely is going to be pretty much the same across the globe, however Sweden is dealing with this without shutting down their economy.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well China is shutting down again due to the second wave of the virus. How many waves are going to be?
I don't think shelter in place in Houston was not a right decision. At that time it was a reasonable strategy. Especially with this new virus. However I tend to believe that Sweden, even though criticized heavily, has more efficient approach overall. They didn't shut down during the first wave, they already went through this and are now better prepared to deal with the second wave. And overall math after all the waves combined most likely is going to be pretty much the same across the globe, however Sweden is dealing with this without shutting down their economy.
I think a comparison between Sweden's approach and those of Taiwan and South Korea would be good. What steps did they do?

Also I wonder if the character of some Americans to disregard sudden social distancing rules contributed to a need for a (relatively) stricter lockdown?

Old 05-19-2020, 12:25 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,049,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I think a comparison between Sweden's approach and those of Taiwan and South Korea would be good. What steps did they do?

Also I wonder if the character of some Americans to disregard sudden social distancing rules contributed to a need for a (relatively) stricter lockdown?
Sweden relied on the overall good health of its citizens, its strong healthcare system, and the willingness of its citizens to agree to social distancing rules and health checks when needed (Yes, they did... most worked from home). We have none of those things here.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:03 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,519,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Sweden relied on the overall good health of its citizens, its strong healthcare system, and the willingness of its citizens to agree to social distancing rules and health checks when needed (Yes, they did... most worked from home). We have none of those things here.
Healthcare system I guess is definitely better there. But I don't think that the US has reason not to rely on its own healthcare system.
Overall we had a lot more restrictions not only in Houston but in the US in general. They didn't shut down businesses including restaurants, they didn't shut down parks, they didn't shut down daycares and schools for the young children.
I worked mostly from work during April only because we are an essential business, and even though I had to apply for exemption. I hear that lots of large IT companies employees in California will continue working from home until the end of 2020.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ntary-strategy

And on the other hand, much heavier restrictions in Russia are not helping much. If massive second wave happens here in Houston I don't think lockdown would really help. It will just delay 3rd wave. And it's going to be an endless circle.

Last edited by Ghost Town; 05-19-2020 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 06:51 PM

Delaying is the point: buying time until a vaccine is created. (the other possibility is the disease dying out like SARS did)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
If massive second wave happens here in Houston I don't think lockdown would really help. It will just delay 3rd wave. And it's going to be an endless circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston