Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 07:28 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
First, I think you need to take it up not just with Turner and Hidalgo, but with medicine and science also, since they were making these regulations in active conversation with the medical and scientific community
BS,
statistics can be manipulated to show anything you want
Just like when they show "stock market crashed" and then you see that their range is from 23,000 to 24,000 making the graph look as if there was a crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 08:18 AM
bu2

24,085 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
When's the next election so we can kick out both Hidalgo and Turner for using fear tactics (threating to fine people $1000) for not wearing something.

I'm a life long democrat, but that kind of BS is completely unacceptable.
I'm voting for anybody that runs against them.
Hidalgo was clearly unfit and elected on a Democratic wave with help from frustration with Harvey. She is now proving it. Wearing a mask outside in the open air in spring/summer in Houston? That will kill more people than the virus!

Old 04-29-2020, 08:22 AM
bu2

24,085 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Yes, density intensifies it but that's not the only factor. The virus quickly spread to the LESS DENSE parts of upstate New York and the Long island suburbs.

The same would have happened among the 7 million people that live in a the Houston metro. Had there been NO precautions, 150,000 would have traveled into downtown every day for work and then back to their suburban communities, another 100,000 to the Medical Center and Uptown with most going back to their suburbs. 43,000 would have traveled to watch the Astros, 20,000 to watch the Rockets, etc. 45,000 would have been on campus at UH and then frequent restaurants, bars, etc....further spreading it into a large more populated county than 27 states.

Yes, we aren't as dense as New York City but we are definitely a high population area...and definitely one that could spread the virus.

But this scenario didn't happen...THANKS TO JUDGE HIDALGO AND MAYOR TURNER'S LEADERSHIP
8 states never shut down. And 7 of them are among the lowest in deaths per million. Hidalgo and Turner are, like a lot of politicians, showing their inner Stalin.

The bandanas people are wearing have limited effect. Its one thing to add that little extra in enclosed spaces like mass transit, but the idea of wearing them in open spaces outside is just stupid.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:44 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
It is statistics like these that make me lean towards a more targeted approach to lockdown. Let's protect our most vulnerable! The rest of us get back to work! and be smart about it!
Page 4 of the official statistic shows that at least people between 20-44 are responsible for 20% of hospital admissions, and 45-54 for 18%. Among those sick enough for the ICU 36% are between 45 and 54. People who are comfortable with these numbers are welcome to do what they want, but if it gets to the point where people who could work from home are starting to get peer pressure from the Russian Roulette players then something should be done.

https://sph.uth.edu/research/centers...0factsheet.pdf

Old 04-29-2020, 03:43 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
Quote:
BS,
statistics can be manipulated to show anything you want
Just like when they show "stock market crashed" and then you see that their range is from 23,000 to 24,000 making the graph look as if there was a crash.
I don't think you've offered any convincing evidence that we shouldn't trust the scientific community, if that's what you're saying. I can't really believe that you think that. I understand that statistics can be manipulated, but you also have to understand that some statistics will hold up better than others. You are equivocating all data ever in your statement. I don't think you mean to do that, but that's the way it comes off.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:28 AM

Ok, here's one .... I saw the same graph for Texas, but I can't find it now

News media constantly talking about "spike in the number of cases" and make no mention that the so-called spike, is an increase in the number of testing. While the number of positives remains the same (around 10% of people tested)

Old 05-04-2020, 12:15 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Hidalgo was clearly unfit and elected on a Democratic wave with help from frustration with Harvey. She is now proving it. Wearing a mask outside in the open air in spring/summer in Houston? That will kill more people than the virus!
Wearing a mask outside doesn’t kill people. Anytime I need to the mow the yard or do any activity involving yard work especially during heavy pollen season I’m always wearing a mask due to my asthma. [Mod cut: rude!!!!]

Last edited by elnina; 05-08-2020 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Please stop being so damn rude! Next time it will be infraction!

Old 05-04-2020, 12:21 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
Quote:
Ok, here's one .... I saw the same graph for Texas, but I can't find it now

News media constantly talking about "spike in the number of cases" and make no mention that the so-called spike, is an increase in the number of testing. While the number of positives remains the same (around 10% of people tested)
This is blatantly untrue. I've heard multiple outlets note that the reason for the spike is the increase in testing. Like, I've literally heard it multiple times on NPR and read it on CNN. Moreover, the "spike" that more people are worried about is the spike in deaths. You are actively spreading lies. And when facts don't favor your own opinion, you just pretend that they aren't real. Does science get it right all the time? No. I think we can see that here as scientists try to deal with how to handle this disease. But is science spreading misinformation? also no.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Interesting how many PhD epidemiologists and virologists we have on here who know how to interpret these charts and statistics and quickly apply them to public policy. That must come from years and years of experience. Surely you are basing your sweeping decisions on hours and hours of dedicated research poring over countless journal papers, interpreting scientific computer models (or even authoring your own), meeting with professional peers, and finding time here and there for your own government funded research projects that benefit the world of medicine and public health.

Either that, or maybe you are just bending a chart or two to fit your agenda...

I will continue to draw my recommendations from doctors and researchers and first line responders. Those are the same people that flank Mayor Turner and Judge Hidalgo when they appear on tv. You know - professionals from the Texas Medical Center and professionals that risk their lives helping the sick. Those are the same people that are recommending masks and a careful, slow, graduated opening up.

I'm also glad there are sensible people on this thread, too.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
This is blatantly untrue.
I see ... now a graph is "untrue"
but all the other graphs with "spikes" are true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston