Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 12:48 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I never knew that. Wow...and he came up in 3rd Ward, went to Yates HS where he played basketball and football.
I vaguely remember this dude from around the way, he was really cool with one of my cousins back in the day. Craziness.

RIP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 03:08 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Gotta keep mentioning it so it doesn't fall into irrelevancy.

The good stuff I remember is now 20-25 years old, which is hard to believe. The kids don't really know anything about that. Then another wave of wack-ass rappers came out with old tired lyrics Fat Pat already did... over and over again. At least more recently Travis Scott breathed some new life into things, as far as being popular and influencing other widely popular artists that aren't necessarily rap or hip hop. So that's cool.
Travis Scott isn’t the only rapper from Houston that’s big right now. Houston Hip Hop is nearly as big as ever. Megan Thee Stallion, Don Toliver, Lizzo (if you consider her a rapper). Some others too. Beyoncé began rapping in her later stuff so you can consider that too. And you can’t forget about Maxo Kream. And what about guys like Drake and A$ap who aren’t from Houston but rap like they are Drake even has an Astros tat.

It’s safe to say Houston’s is at a height right now.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:04 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Travis Scott isn’t the only rapper from Houston that’s big right now. Houston Hip Hop is nearly as big as ever. Megan Thee Stallion, Don Toliver, Lizzo (if you consider her a rapper). Some others too. Beyoncé began rapping in her later stuff so you can consider that too. And you can’t forget about Maxo Kream. And what about guys like Drake and A$ap who aren’t from Houston but rap like they are Drake even has an Astros tat.

It’s safe to say Houston’s is at a height right now.
Nah can’t count Drake and Asap. Both who still rep their hometowns way more than the city they were influenced by.

Dallas does have a hip hop scene. They just have a hard time finding their niche. At one time they didn’t knowing they wanted to be Houston or Atlanta. But Dallas absolutely has a scene. Austin is probably third in Texas or maybe fourth behind Port Arthur. Bavu Blakes was probably my favorite artist from Austin. But yes, no city in Texas touches Houston in hip hop and it goes beyond SUC and Swishahouse. People forget SPC, K-Otix, HISD, plus more.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:11 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nah can’t count Drake and Asap. Both who still rep their hometowns way more than the city they were influenced by.

Dallas does have a hip hop scene. They just have a hard time finding their niche. At one time they didn’t knowing they wanted to be Houston or Atlanta. But Dallas absolutely has a scene. Austin is probably third in Texas or maybe fourth behind Port Arthur. Bavu Blakes was probably my favorite artist from Austin. But yes, no city in Texas touches Houston in hip hop and it goes beyond SUC and Swishahouse. People forget SPC, K-Otix, HISD, plus more.
The Austin crowd is going to be coming for you That's a major dis, putting them behind Port Arthur. I love it!

Old 05-29-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:

It definitely does count as a big factor. When a city influences people that aren’t even from the city that’s a big thing. I didn’t say Dallas doesn’t have a scene, it’s just basically non existent compared to Houston. Dorrough is one of my favorite Texas rappers period but his mainstream didnt continue much after Ice Cream Paint Job. The niche Dallas tried to create for a while was club music that didn’t catch on.

Do you listen to any of the new rappers? The Travis Scott, Megan thee Stallion, Maxo Kream and them? Don Toliver, and Lizzo.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:06 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:

Dallas went through a dance phaze....Los Angeles bit it and killed it

This is what Dallas looks like now:

https://youtu.be/kWk6SOybxKA

https://youtu.be/XULixrii4CI

https://youtu.be/OZG431fBO3U

https://youtu.be/T39CD-1FSmE
..Lil Ronny and Yella Bezzy Kilt.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It definitely does count as a big factor. When a city influences people that aren’t even from the city that’s a big thing. I didn’t say Dallas doesn’t have a scene, it’s just basically non existent compared to Houston. Dorrough is one of my favorite Texas rappers period but his mainstream didnt continue much after Ice Cream Paint Job. The niche Dallas tried to create for a while was club music that didn’t catch on.

Do you listen to any of the new rappers? The Travis Scott, Megan thee Stallion, Maxo Kream and them? Don Toliver, and Lizzo.
No. It’s not a factor at all. Nobody would call drake or ASAP rocky as Houston artists just because there is some influence there. Drake is Toronto. They themselves wouldn’t rep Houston. Heck Drake has done a New Orleans sound song and even London sound song. Even dabbed in the Caribbean plenty of times. Doesn’t mean he is from there. He has made and shot his videos in Toronto. ASAP is from Harlem and has done the same as Drake but for Harlem. In fact, after his initial start, he hasn’t made a Houston sound song since.

The thing about Dallas is that they always had a scene but it’s been heavily regional. It didn’t even appeal to states surrounding it. They had Kottonmouth, Mr Pookie, etc. but it wasn’t all that popular outside of North Texas. Must give Dallas DOC. He still repped Dallas. What do you think the D stood for?
I put more emphasis on lyrics. Most of these new rappers are meh to me.
Travis Scott- meh
Megan - meh
Maxi - he’s ok, Tobe is better
Lizzo- absolutely not and I hardly consider her hip hop

Old 05-30-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
No. It’s not a factor at all. Nobody would call drake or ASAP rocky as Houston artists just because there is some influence there. Drake is Toronto. They themselves wouldn’t rep Houston. Heck Drake has done a New Orleans sound song and even London sound song. Even dabbed in the Caribbean plenty of times. Doesn’t mean he is from there. He has made and shot his videos in Toronto. ASAP is from Harlem and has done the same as Drake but for Harlem. In fact, after his initial start, he hasn’t made a Houston sound song since.

The thing about Dallas is that they always had a scene but it’s been heavily regional. It didn’t even appeal to states surrounding it. They had Kottonmouth, Mr Pookie, etc. but it wasn’t all that popular outside of North Texas. Must give Dallas DOC. He still repped Dallas. What do you think the D stood for?
I put more emphasis on lyrics. Most of these new rappers are meh to me.
Travis Scott- meh
Megan - meh
Maxi - he’s ok, Tobe is better
Lizzo- absolutely not and I hardly consider her hip hop
We’ll have to disagree there. Im not calling Drake a Houston rapper though. But personally, I would say a city’s sound influencing artists outside of its area boosts its scene. Such as Atlanta’s trap music, LA’s use of house music, etc. Houston is known for chopped & screwed, but even more influential was the SLAB music. The original Houston style of using the TR-808 drum machine (not to be confused with what we modernly associate with 808 bass) revolutionized Hip Hop production. Usually each major scene has a form of lasting effects.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
We’ll have to disagree there. Im not calling Drake a Houston rapper though. But personally, I would say a city’s sound influencing artists outside of its area boosts its scene. Such as Atlanta’s trap music, LA’s use of house music, etc. Houston is known for chopped & screwed, but even more influential was the SLAB music. The original Houston style of using the TR-808 drum machine (not to be confused with what we modernly associate with 808 bass) revolutionized Hip Hop production. Usually each major scene has a form of lasting effects.
Influencing is one thing. This happens throughout the genre. That does not mean they are of that scene and/or that city. Ray Cash has a Houston influence in his songs, but he always repped Cleveland. In fact, Drake and ASAP using Houston scene didn’t boost Houston. Clearly because it’s not like anybody else from the actual city of Houston blew up from that.

LA btw was more funk. House is Chicago.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Influencing is one thing. This happens throughout the genre. That does not mean they are of that scene and/or that city. Ray Cash has a Houston influence in his songs, but he always repped Cleveland. In fact, Drake and ASAP using Houston scene didn’t boost Houston. Clearly because it’s not like anybody else from the actual city of Houston blew up from that.

LA btw was more funk. House is Chicago.
I don’t think they are Houston rappers. That’s not what I said. Original house music is Chicago. But LA pioneered mixing it with Hip Hop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston