U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 AM

24 posts, read 118,930 times

Advertisements

Look at Eisenhower High off of Antoine - 59& eligible for free lunch (3% white, 51% african-american, 41% hispanic)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 AM

958 posts, read 2,371,136 times
Graduated back in 1999, the school was well on its way down since then.

Alief will take a long time to come back.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 AM

15,610 posts, read 22,169,610 times
When I moved to the Alief area in 1980, the quality of the schools was a big draw. Over the years, I've seen so many changes (none of them good) and most of my neighbors have moved away because of those changes. I doubt the Alief area will ever "come back."

I've thought about moving many times too, but I like my small (1,200 sq ft) house and know I couldnt find one this size in a "desirable" area. I remodeled, knowing I'll never get out of it what $$$ I've put into it over the past couple of years. But the one upside is that both next-door neighbors have been here as long as I have. We watch out for each other. How many people anywhere in Houston can say they've had the same neighbors for almost 30 years?

Old 05-01-2008, 12:36 PM

2,611 posts, read 8,265,450 times
It seems like there are a lot of areas in Houston that based their draw on newer housing and good schools. Unfortunately if that is the majority of the attraction, the area tends to have the shelf life of a Krispy Kreme. Housing styles change and the "newness" wears off quick. As the homes become more affordable and the inevitable decline of the area apartments brings in more lower income people, right or wrong original residents leave, restaurants and shops that catered to the original higher income demographic then follow them down the road, and you are left with a blighted area.

I am going to disagree though that Alief would stand a better chance than Sharpstown. I am not a big fan of Sharpstown, but in contrast if I had to pick one out of the two with a better chance of gentrification I would say Sharpstown, and that is pretty sad b/c I think Sharpstown's chances are pretty slim. At least with Sharpstown it does have a decent geographic proximity. It's right on the freeway, very close to the Galleria & Greenway, not that far from downtown, where as Alief is a real trek to me. In addition some of the ranch and modest mid-century moderns in Sharpstown are actually quite nice, so it does have that element. The image and the apartments are the death knell for it though. About the only thing that would work for Sharpstown is if the city actually started really enforcing building codes & nuisance ordinances on the apartments and shut them down the way they shut down that one in Garden Oaks, then it could possibly stand a chance.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,745,727 times
To be honest, coming in in 2007 I can't tell if Alief was anything during its peak. almost every >15yo neighborhood are starter homes. I'm guessing its a starter home haven before and still is today. still rock bottom as ever and the only way is up. but i think we're all in agreement it will take a long time and some huge magical investment to get Alief into great suburbia status. not that thats what this town is suited for or that it was up to par with suburbia standards at some point
"coming back" - is this still what we are talking about or will it be property investors gold mine later?

50% black in schools, does not mean 50% black in ones neighborhood. especially in areas with backlot apartment complexes, especially in a 'chinatown'. sure realtor stats are important but 'too much info' for some. high crime rate in apt complexes? umm don't live in one maybe? its not like people in Royal Oaks/Shadowlake care whats going on the southside. The northside is really looking good IMO

Does anyone think there are more gays drawing people to Montrose than vietnamese drawing people to Alief? i would think it would be almost irresistable for any vietnamese thats why theyre the majority in better communities to live in here. have you folks seen our police? 5footers in big cars! lol. My small gated community sold out of houses within 6months (well theres 1 more, but its the fugly model), many are transplants. So I think small scale housing developers can see there some good demand here for new 170K-210k SF gated communities. I dont think gentrification is what needs to happen in Alief. It needs to offer an upgrade from the starter home bracket. An issue about that is that the better located lots are sitting on bellaire blvd which is probably zoned for business. building of new 'asian' strip malls is non-stop and now up to the Metro (blvd?) pretty soon more will be turned into new residential areas. its going to be patchy of course since Alief is really quite small. older houses arent really built to last so i doubt theyre really an option to consider.
South of beechnut will still be a mess I bet since chinatown is focused on Bellaire blvd

Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM

8,030 posts, read 8,290,060 times
We've been looking for something on the southwest or west side (because of our jobs) closer to Houston than where we are now in Fort Bend County, with good schools, but so far no luck. Bellaire or Meyertown might be good but our budget is only around 300k, which won't get us anything I know of in those areas. Used to live in Westchase (Briargrove Park) years back but those schools aren't so good. This city would be doing so much better and cut down on sprawl if it would shut down all these slummy apartments so those of us who want to live in closer to town and have good schools for our kids might actually have the chance to do so without spending 800k+ on a home.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:32 AM

2,271 posts, read 4,799,426 times
Not as long as a couple of people I know on this forum live there.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM

415 posts, read 436,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
With the way the EC is booming and Westchase is building, I think there could be some flow over. It certainly has a better shot than Sharpstown, which is both unsafe and has horrible schools.

Royal Oaks being out that way doesn't hurt it's future either.
Actually Sharpstown single-family neighborhood property values have been on the rise. It's the apartment complex section of Sharpstown that's bad, but the neighborhoods are safe and kept up.

Alief is not all that bad either. There are some areas that are, but I can see it slowly changing. If you start on Eldridge and drive south of Westheimer, the first thing you see is a "upscale" SuperTarger (looks really nice). They have plans for a lot more, too.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:57 PM

4,867 posts, read 9,110,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
We've been looking for something on the southwest or west side (because of our jobs) closer to Houston than where we are now in Fort Bend County, with good schools, but so far no luck. Bellaire or Meyertown might be good but our budget is only around 300k, which won't get us anything I know of in those areas. Used to live in Westchase (Briargrove Park) years back but those schools aren't so good. This city would be doing so much better and cut down on sprawl if it would shut down all these slummy apartments so those of us who want to live in closer to town and have good schools for our kids might actually have the chance to do so without spending 800k+ on a home.
The Alief ISD, not the City of Houston, operates public schools in Alief.

The city, though, can shut down apartments.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 PM

4,900 posts, read 12,703,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
This city would be doing so much better and cut down on sprawl if it would shut down all these slummy apartments so those of us who want to live in closer to town and have good schools for our kids might actually have the chance to do so without spending 800k+ on a home.

Too bad there is no zoning in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston