U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:39 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,948,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Too bad there is no zoning in Houston.
Is that really the reason though?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 AM

265 posts, read 562,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Is that really the reason though?
No, the reason is that the city doesn't care about home owners or the middle class. Certainly Bill White doesn't.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM

7 posts, read 11,684 times
Will Alief ever come back? Once the area gets trashed out its hard to revitalize. In Alief, Hispanic groups have come in bought 1970 starter type homes and fixed them up as well as built Presido Style Christian Churches like the one on Dairy Ashford and West Bellfort. At least someone is buying those homes and fixing them up which is a good thing for Alief. Working Class Latinos that are putting money back in Alief. They need to demolish those apartments down. Thats what caused ALief to go down as well as Sharpstown. Then on Synott there is a Krishna Center, Buddhist Temple and a Mosque a multicultural diverse area. Also China Town on Bellaire and Boone perhaps the subdivision North of Bellaire and South of Harwin might benefit from all the Asian Development. Stay away from the Westwood Area, Bissonnet and Beechnut areas. Perhaps there is some hope for some pocket areas North Of Bellaire and Boone the other areas that are situated West of Eldridge and Between highway 6. Also Westpark and Richmond Areas north of Alief Clodine are some descent pocket residential areas.

Last edited by audiomatrix2006; 04-20-2010 at 12:00 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 PM

9,053 posts, read 15,941,670 times
It will most likely be over 5 years before it gets better. It's close enough to the Energy Corridor to finally get better, but not until other areas hit a plateau.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 PM

221 posts, read 573,176 times
sharpstown has a way better chance, location wise alief is very inferior, and like someone else stated property values in sharpstown have gone up, it could actually be the next up and coming neighborhood in the future

Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 AM

10 posts, read 22,476 times
Wow in 94-95 Hastings was a really diverse place. 25% of each racial group. Any schools in Houston come close to touching that in 2010?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 AM

789 posts, read 1,431,754 times
I live in Westchase and it's fine. If it gets better I wouldn't mind it. But like so many people complain about apartments and how the city doesn't care about single family homes, it's the exact reverse for me. Yes, I would like it to get better(nothing really wrong with it right now), but I would also still like to be able to afford to stay here, haha. Pushing single apartment dwelling people to move out further just so you can move in closer isn't cool. You moved out there, so you stay out there. Otherwise you can come back and blend in, and maybe build a new place or fix something up. Yes, there are a lot of apartments that are pretty bad, but not all apartments are this way. But I'm a young guy on C-D, my views aren't normally appreciated by the older 70k-120k crowd here, haha.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 AM

15,988 posts, read 32,827,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sime0n View Post
Wow in 94-95 Hastings was a really diverse place. 25% of each racial group. Any schools in Houston come close to touching that in 2010?
Schools out in Sugar Land and Missouri City are very diverse.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:42 PM

711 posts, read 1,742,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
This city would be doing so much better and cut down on sprawl if it would shut down all these slummy apartments so those of us who want to live in closer to town and have good schools for our kids might actually have the chance to do so without spending 800k+ on a home.
How does getting rid of apartments reduce "sprawl"? You may have noticed apartments increase, not reduce, density. It's also unclear how getting rid of apartments in Alief makes housing elsewhere more affordable.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:49 PM

9,600 posts, read 15,584,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Schools out in Sugar Land and Missouri City are very diverse.
My niece goes to Meadows Elementary in FBISD. It's one of the best elementary schools in the Houston area. Looking on schooldigger.com, Meadows is about 20 percent Black, 20 percent Asian, 30 percent white and 30 percent Hispanic. This doesn't include the mixed kids such as my niece who is half white/half black. I think the SW side and the SW burbs will always be the leader in this category as time goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston