Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 02:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 1,212,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Here's me, calling you out for explicit racism. Stop it. You don't blame all white people for white crime. You don't blame all cops for bad cops. Stop blaming all Black people for the acts of criminals who are Black.
The point I'm making is that people (especially the cops) stereotype. These aren't exactly the most well educated, intellectual people out there.

The majority of violent crime is committed by young black males... this is a fact. Although Hispanics are overtaking in that category-- which might be why they too are getting choked out and beaten to death???

The majority of hate crimes are committed by whites... another fact. Therefore if you're white looking for a white neighborhood you must be looking for a Klan neighborhood. Go around the hood and many people will tell you all the problems there are due to white people. Stereotypes again.

BTW how often do you see Asians get beaten down or killed? That group maintains a quiet image-- but gets away with a LOT of organized crime, much of it violent and swept under the rugs. Maybe learn something from that method?

So maybe quit being a living, breathing stereotype and maybe you won't find trouble? Just a thought.
Everyone agrees that happened was 100% horrific, and that entire policing systems need to change. But if communities still lack self-awareness, there will never be progress. And I don't see any progress being made in the next few years. BTW the city-data founder seems to think violent crime will get worse due to this, because it has happened before. (BTW history has shown us who commits these violent crimes.) Go check out his Twitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 02:51 PM

9,732 posts, read 6,355,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
When blacks stop committing the majority of murders and robberies in this country, and stop committing a highly disproportionate amount of assaults (with deadly weapons), then the racism might disappear.
People can point out stereotypical white crimes like serial killing, tax evasion, etc and that would be unfair to the entire white population. The ones causing the racism are the ones associating one with another.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:05 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,317,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
People can point out stereotypical white crimes like serial killing, tax evasion, etc and that would be unfair to the entire white population. The ones causing the racism are the ones associating one with another.
I think it boils down to the time and place for discussion.

Mr. Floyd did nothing to warrant what happened to him. Literally nothing.

Detachable Arm is technically correct about the crime aspect. 61% of homicides are committed by black individuals and mostly among each other, but bringing it up at the current time serves as a distraction to what needs to be the focus. Its also extremely irrelevant. Mr. Floyd was not doing anything that would indicate he was trying to cause harm to anyone else and he still died at the hands of a bad cop.

I truly believe most cops are trying to do good, however every profession has people who are not qualified to be there. Just as there are incompetent plumbers, gardeners, accountants, etc. there are incompetent police. The police unions make it impossible to identify them and be rid of them. If I had to pinpoint one group responsible for this, its them. We need a way to more efficiently deal with bad cops.

Being a cop is very difficult Im sure. Youre dealing with a$$holes all day long. But you should know that going in and if you cant handle it, you shouldnt be a cop.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:55 AM

“This isn’t Austin, Texas, where they’re diverse as long as they’re east side of 35. This is Houston, Texas. And for the people in Austin who want to tear this **** up, you’re in the wrong ****ing city.” - Police Chief Art Acevedo

Boy is he right. Everything about that statement = 100% truth.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:10 PM

5,839 posts, read 6,109,487 times
Those guys at the March riding around on horses is one of the most Houston things ever.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:29 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,003,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I think it boils down to the time and place for discussion.

Mr. Floyd did nothing to warrant what happened to him. Literally nothing.

Detachable Arm is technically correct about the crime aspect. 61% of homicides are committed by black individuals and mostly among each other, but bringing it up at the current time serves as a distraction to what needs to be the focus. Its also extremely irrelevant. Mr. Floyd was not doing anything that would indicate he was trying to cause harm to anyone else and he still died at the hands of a bad cop.

I truly believe most cops are trying to do good, however every profession has people who are not qualified to be there. Just as there are incompetent plumbers, gardeners, accountants, etc. there are incompetent police. The police unions make it impossible to identify them and be rid of them. If I had to pinpoint one group responsible for this, its them. We need a way to more efficiently deal with bad cops.

Being a cop is very difficult Im sure. Youre dealing with a$$holes all day long. But you should know that going in and if you cant handle it, you shouldnt be a cop.
I dont understand why people arent polite to Cops. I think most confrontations could be avoided if you are courteous. If a cop stops you, he s goign to let you go if you havent done anything wrong. So no worries if you havent done anything wrong.

I went to pay a parking ticket in court and the judges are trying to be as friendly and polite to the people. Yet I dont see reciprocity. Some people turn up in shorts or without shoes even to the court!

The freeeeeedom is taken for granted by some people.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:30 PM

26,147 posts, read 21,368,471 times
The March/protest yesterday downtown was great. Later on the evening there were moments of it getting sideways but 3-5pm what a showing of diversity and I for one found my self appreciating what I was seeing being down there

At a minimum there should be a nationwide data base for law enforcement officers by where all complaints and disciplinary actions have to be reported and maintained so that an officer can’t screw up in one town, get fired or be allowed to resign and then just get hired in another town/city. The police unions carry a ton of power and are able to keep information from going public and that also is part of the issue.

Floyd did not die because of any of the violent crime stats people would like to try and distract with. He died over a possible petty crime by which an officer for 8 plus minutes put his knee into Floyd’s neck while he was handcuffed with multiple other officer on the scene

Old 06-03-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The March/protest yesterday downtown was great. Later on the evening there were moments of it getting sideways but 3-5pm what a showing of diversity and I for one found my self appreciating what I was seeing being down there

At a minimum there should be a nationwide data base for law enforcement officers by where all complaints and disciplinary actions have to be reported and maintained so that an officer can’t screw up in one town, get fired or be allowed to resign and then just get hired in another town/city. The police unions carry a ton of power and are able to keep information from going public and that also is part of the issue.

Floyd did not die because of any of the violent crime stats people would like to try and distract with. He died over a possible petty crime by which an officer for 8 plus minutes put his knee into Floyd’s neck while he was handcuffed with multiple other officer on the scene
This. Most cops are good but a few are bad. We need a system in place that allows the bad ones to be dealt with efficiently.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:38 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,188,330 times
Default Many people...

The crowd was estimated to be about 60K. That is a lot of people! I kind of got a little worried though... I saw about 20 police cars cruise by my house, all one after the other, then I saw why... the crowds started going south on Taft street. Later they went back north and there was a large crowd at West Gray and Taft. I live only one block from Taft, and saw all the people. As was mentioned, no looting, no vandalism, but I must admit, it is an unsettling feeling when you are out watering your lawn one minute, then seeing hundreds of people, and 20 police patrol cars, all within a matter of minutes.

The funeral will be in Houston, I am guessing high profile guests will be in town, and so Houston will have a big show, let's hope Houston shows the rest of the country the difference between a protest, and riots.

I'm not going to say vandalism is funny, but to me, this is funny... https://twitter.com/i/status/1267940095132344324

Old 06-03-2020, 02:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 4,012,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I dont understand why people arent polite to Cops. I think most confrontations could be avoided if you are courteous. If a cop stops you, he s goign to let you go if you havent done anything wrong. So no worries if you havent done anything wrong.

I went to pay a parking ticket in court and the judges are trying to be as friendly and polite to the people. Yet I dont see reciprocity. Some people turn up in shorts or without shoes even to the court!

The freeeeeedom is taken for granted by some people.
Unless you are George Floyd, in which case the cop will kneel on your neck until you are dead.

Where have you been for the past week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston