Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 07:17 PM

2,833 posts, read 2,137,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Unless you need it for work, there really is no need to get tested unless you have symptoms or have exposure.
I tried to get tested at an urgent care place last weekend when I had symptoms. They didn't practice the social distancing measures they said they're implementing like not allowing walkins and limiting the number of people in the waiting area. There were also a number of very sick looking people, including a nine year old who seemed to be almost unconscious and needed to be carried. When I saw that I turned around and walked right back out. I was able to find a curbside site with from my regular doctor today.
The nasal swab was extremely unpleasant, so that's another reason not to get tested unless you really need the result for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 08:18 PM

90 posts, read 98,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The issue is that you are in a suburban area of St Louis which is not (yet, at least) a hotspot and you are extrapolating your experience to what Houston is experiencing. My data shows there are less than 1500 positive cases in the county you live in.

I put more faith in data coming from TMC (see Post 298) and from people who are on public record sharing their own experiences v those of an anonymous internet poster from another state. Unless one is a conspiracy theorist, I see no reason to doubt the words of this local official:

“Normally that patient would just go to an ICU bed, but because there are no beds available, they continue to board in the emergency room,” said Harris Health System president and CEO Esmaeil Porsa, who oversees the city’s two public safety-net hospitals. “It is not an optimal level of care. This is not something we would choose to do. The only reason this is happening is because we are being forced to do it.”
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07...ergency-rooms/

I believe the above article, with quotes from health care professionals, more likely reflects the truth than what you might imagine it to be. I don’t see why these people would intentionally lie.
I‘m based out of the suburbs, but I transport to all facilities in the metro area. We have three MASSIVE level one trauma centers, two level one pediatric trauma centers, three level two centers, two level three centers, and at least ten other community hospitals. We are massive for health care up here. And we have over 1600 positive cases to date, btw. The state and the county give different numbers. Around 1600 is the most accurate guess at this point.

Houston is a much nicer, cleaner area than St. Louis; yet our numbers aren’t very high, and Harris County has a huge amount of cases. I’m not sure why. The most cases here are in the north side ghetto, which I can guarantee is worse about social distancing than anywhere in Houston.

Another reason I’m moving to Houston when this is all over; St. Louis scares me more than driving through the ghettos in Mexico. Not kidding, it’s that bad.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:19 AM
bu2

23,971 posts, read 14,760,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEMT-B View Post
I‘m based out of the suburbs, but I transport to all facilities in the metro area. We have three MASSIVE level one trauma centers, two level one pediatric trauma centers, three level two centers, two level three centers, and at least ten other community hospitals. We are massive for health care up here. And we have over 1600 positive cases to date, btw. The state and the county give different numbers. Around 1600 is the most accurate guess at this point.

Houston is a much nicer, cleaner area than St. Louis; yet our numbers aren’t very high, and Harris County has a huge amount of cases. I’m not sure why. The most cases here are in the north side ghetto, which I can guarantee is worse about social distancing than anywhere in Houston.

Another reason I’m moving to Houston when this is all over; St. Louis scares me more than driving through the ghettos in Mexico. Not kidding, it’s that bad.
Houston does have a clean, nice, new feel compared to most other major metros. You've got a couple of negative nellies making comments.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:19 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,433,502 times
So, in some cases it looks like you can get the virus more then once. This would be very very bad news if the majority of the population would react in a similar way. Im spreading the sources around, this time the left leaning vox. LOL

I do think the CCP still is not being forthcoming about the origins of this virus, they will do anything to hang on to power.

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/12/213216...-herd-immunity

Old 07-14-2020, 09:30 AM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times
Guys - this thread is about Coronavirus in Houston not about relocation. Please go back on topic.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:53 PM

812 posts, read 671,165 times
Back on topic, with a little adjustment to numbers Florida is pulling ahead of Houston. For a while anyway, until the honest numbers of positive cases are used in the tally.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:35 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEMT-B View Post

You quoted me but did not answer my question: Why are you making observations on your experience in St Louis appear as if they relate to Houston in your earlier posts? You implied the problem was not as severe as it is.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:25 AM

2,833 posts, read 2,137,932 times
According to TMC it looks like new hospitalization numbers in the Houston area have stabilized at a 300-400 per day range. That's better than an upward trend but the numbers have fluctuated within that range and has not started to trend downward. The hospital bed occupancy is trending upward very slowly and is unlikely to reach the crisis level we saw in New York. I think that's encouraging development.
However the current level of hospitalization is not sustainable as hospitals can't get back to elective surgeries and I don't see companies and schools reopen until the numbers start to come down. Not sure how likely that can take place if the rest of the state is blowing up in covid numbers.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:04 PM

5,846 posts, read 6,149,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
According to TMC it looks like new hospitalization numbers in the Houston area have stabilized at a 300-400 per day range. That's better than an upward trend but the numbers have fluctuated within that range and has not started to trend downward. The hospital bed occupancy is trending upward very slowly and is unlikely to reach the crisis level we saw in New York. I think that's encouraging development.
However the current level of hospitalization is not sustainable as hospitals can't get back to elective surgeries and I don't see companies and schools reopen until the numbers start to come down. Not sure how likely that can take place if the rest of the state is blowing up in covid numbers.
Just a quick note about the TMC graphs, I noticed a few days ago that they added a couple more graphs at the beginning of the set that outlines process and procedures. I, for one, found that information helpful. For instance, the footnotes in the Data Collection Process graph answered a question I've had for a while about what percentage of Houston area hospitals are included in this TMC data (answer is about 70%-80%).

Old 07-15-2020, 03:07 PM
bu2

23,971 posts, read 14,760,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Well that is the typical parabola pattern, sharp rise, gradually turning down and then a sharp downturn.
Maybe people are making good choices again so it isn't rising anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston