Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:58 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,441,103 times

Advertisements

I would like to point out that there is a difference between the stuff you purchase at Home Depot, that while fit-for-purpose, is often a very different product than what many professional companies use.

Our neighbors had one put down in their garage by professionals and it was extremely thick, and very different than the do it yourself stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,017,940 times
I don't think I would waste my money on the store bought stuff. I've helped do two of my friends garage floors with it & the results were disappointing. Not as glossy as we would have liked...actually no gloss at all & those flakes look cheap.

Not recommended

Hire someone to do it professionally.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,797,628 times
I am a DIY kind of guy... Would it be possible to secure some of the professional epoxy and do it myself?
$3 to $4 S/F is a bit much when I can do stuff in my own and a 3 car garage can cost a good penny.

What do you guys think? Maybe we can get a group of few people and make this a common project?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,017,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I am a DIY kind of guy... Would it be possible to secure some of the professional epoxy and do it myself?
$3 to $4 S/F is a bit much when I can do stuff in my own and a 3 car garage can cost a good penny.

What do you guys think? Maybe we can get a group of few people and make this a common project?
Its possible.

My friend has a $1,500 commercial diamond grinder made just for prepping floors for epoxying. No need for acid etching & power washing oil stains it comes right off with a rotating high RPM diamond disc.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Does your friend works with epoxy as well, commercial grade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its possible.

My friend has a $1,500 commercial diamond grinder made just for prepping floors for epoxying. No need for acid etching & power washing oil stains it comes right off with a rotating high RPM diamond disc.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM

How much per SF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedVintage View Post
I used Adecco Sealants in Houston. They even put my logo in it. Excellent work! Epoxy - Adecco Sealants

Old 03-03-2011, 04:40 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,034,512 times
My father has this in his garage with the stuff you get at the hardware store. It's good for the first few years. But then it starts to chip away because it's not very thick. And no way would I spend 5 bucks a sqft for the stuff to have a pro install it. It's a garage for pete sake. It's ok if the floor isn't sparklin like your bathroom floor.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 AM

When you have a $100K + car in your garage I am sure you can afford some epoxy right
But that is not the reason I want to do it and I do have such sport car... I would just like my garage to look nice and clean and is OK to put some money into it. Call me a car / garage nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
My father has this in his garage with the stuff you get at the hardware store. It's good for the first few years. But then it starts to chip away because it's not very thick. And no way would I spend 5 bucks a sqft for the stuff to have a pro install it. It's a garage for pete sake. It's ok if the floor isn't sparklin like your bathroom floor.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Store bought crap and it only lasted 2 years.
That's why you pay a contractor to get you the good stuff. They do the prep work right to make sure the epoxy has something to grip to.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,695 times
Default Professional Overall Service

Xpedite Coatings offers epoxy, polyurethane, and polyaspartic flooring with plain or with color chips.
Need look nowhere else. Visit Xpedite Coatings | Garage and Commercial Concrete Floor Coatings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: