Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:41 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times

Advertisements

If so can you please PM me the contact info.

What the going rate for a 3 car garage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 18,860 times
I just did my own garage this weekend. I bought the epoxy kit at Lowes. it was actually pretty easy and I am not a "handy" person at all. But I went online ans saw how easy it was to do it yourself. Just google it. It was called Quikrete.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
yup DIY stuff. umm dont skip on the primer, or elses it'll crack when it gets cold

Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 AM

252 posts, read 390,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
If so can you please PM me the contact info.

What the going rate for a 3 car garage?
Fairly easy job...Most Important to Prepare the surface--Thoroughly clean(powerwash best), Etch with included mixture, let dry and slap it on...

Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try it myself.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 AM

684 posts, read 2,109,385 times
Yep, us too thanks

Old 05-03-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelalala View Post
I just did my own garage this weekend. I bought the epoxy kit at Lowes. it was actually pretty easy and I am not a "handy" person at all. But I went online ans saw how easy it was to do it yourself. Just google it. It was called Quikrete.
How long does it take to do a 3 car garage?? We were contemplating doing that when we come out this summer for a week.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:35 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,541 times
How well does this stuff work? i heard that in a few years that it will start to crack. Is that true? Does it discolor?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Did my own garage with the Rustoleum garage paint sold at Home Depot 5 years ago and just put another coat on this month. It's a large 2 car garage (more like 2 1/2 car). It took two boxes of paint. They cost about $70/box.

The painting is the easy part. Get a roller with a 6' long roller handle (or screw a broom handle into the roller frame) and get a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with a a hanging frame inside the bucket to roll against. Painting a floor is easier than walls or ceilings because you don't have to worry about drips or mess.

The prep is the difficult part. If your garage is old and there are oil stains you'll need to degrease and etch the concrete to make sure the paint adheres properly.

As for how long it lasts? My original paint job lasted just fine but after 5 years the floor was getting pretty dirty and scratched. Lots of tire skid marks and scratches from my kids skateboarding in the garage and me dragging stuff around. And also overspray from when I painted my kitchen cabinet doors and didn't put enough drop cloths down. I repainted it as part of the process of polishing up the house for selling. Not because the paint was peeling. In fact there wasn't a single place where it was chipping or peeling after 5 years with the rustoleum. It just was looking bad because we were abusing it.

As for what a painting contractor would charge? My guess is well over $1000. the epoxy paint they use is different and better. It's the same stuff that is installed in food service prep areas. I used to work as a commercial painter in college and worked on putting in an epoxy floor in a Yoplait Yogurt factory. Horrid stuff to apply and seriously different paint than what the sell with the garage floor kits at Home Depot.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks Texasdiver for such detailed info! It's very helpful in helping us decide what course to take....The home is new, so that's a plus. Now we need to decide if we want to go the Home Depot route, or pay up to have a contractor do it, but I would only want to go that route if we were assured he was indeed using the higher quality product, not simply the HD stuff.
....Our home in CA that we want to sell in about a year, however, is a different story..that home is 10 years old now, and the garage floor has been used and abused by kids, dogs, and ourselves..sounds like doing that floor will be a little more involved by what you explained. But I think it would still be worth it to do, as part of the spiffying up to sell process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: