Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:48 PM

191 posts, read 91,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
My goodness.

Not comparing to Houston in this regard but Dallas gets 36+ inches of rain per year on average.

The no tress thing is just completely bogus. Dallas has one of the largest urban forests in the country. Our lot in North Dallas has 7 pecan trees, 4 oak trees an elm and two pine trees. My next door neighbor has several (maybe 8) palm trees and some pines.

https://trinityrivercorridor.com/rec...ty-Forest.aspx
Newer DFW northern suburbs resemble a more rolling version of the newer Houston's suburbs where they converted farmland to neighborhoods and don't have significant tree cover. Shouldn't be a surprise that Houston's subtropical climate makes it a bit more lush.

Pretty sure the Great Trinity Forest doesn't reach Frisco or Mckinney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 04:05 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,805 times
I relocated from Atlanta to Dallas and the first thing I noticed ‘fresh off the plane’ (on my way to the hotel for temporary housing) was the flatness and lack of trees in Dallas. I grew up in the Midwest and lived in Indianapolis. Most of Dallas reminds me of the drive on I-74 between Cincinnati and Indianapolis that is flat with no trees. Conversely, Houston has many more trees, albeit, not as wooded as Atlanta or the Pacific North West. You really have to go on a tree search in Dallas, lol.

One other point I’ll make is the amenities in the suburbs of Dallas is what makes it seem more spread out than Houston, even though Houston’s metro area is larger. You have to drive across town to different venues. As already commented by other posters in this thread, the entertainment districts are more centrally located in Houston, like most other cities. For this reason, I don’t regret my decision to leave Dallas for Houston.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:51 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminB12 View Post
Newer DFW northern suburbs resemble a more rolling version of the newer Houston's suburbs where they converted farmland to neighborhoods and don't have significant tree cover. Shouldn't be a surprise that Houston's subtropical climate makes it a bit more lush.

Pretty sure the Great Trinity Forest doesn't reach Frisco or Mckinney.
The person I was responding to wrote about Dallas specifically not Frisco or McKinney.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:55 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
I relocated from Atlanta to Dallas and the first thing I noticed ‘fresh off the plane’ (on my way to the hotel for temporary housing) was the flatness and lack of trees in Dallas. I grew up in the Midwest and lived in Indianapolis. Most of Dallas reminds me of the drive on I-74 between Cincinnati and Indianapolis that is flat with no trees. Conversely, Houston has many more trees, albeit, not as wooded as Atlanta or the Pacific North West. You really have to go on a tree search in Dallas, lol.

One other point I’ll make is the amenities in the suburbs of Dallas is what makes it seem more spread out than Houston, even though Houston’s metro area is larger. You have to drive across town to different venues. As already commented by other posters in this thread, the entertainment districts are more centrally located in Houston, like most other cities. For this reason, I don’t regret my decision to leave Dallas for Houston.
Regarding trees are you talking about Dallas per se or some of the 'burbs? Because claiming Dallas doesn't have many trees or one needs to go on some kind of tree search to find many - like thousands is just silly.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:24 PM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:

Youre first paragraph is pretty ridiculous and Im pretty sure is just flame bait.

I agree with your second paragraph, but thats a huge reason the burbs are better in Dallas but the core is better in Houston.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:51 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Youre first paragraph is pretty ridiculous and Im pretty sure is just flame bait.

I agree with your second paragraph, but thats a huge reason the burbs are better in Dallas but the core is better in Houston.
Not ridiculous at all. Compared to Atlanta, the area around DFW does look flat and treeless. You're on the edge of the Great Plains. Hardly a hill between Canada and I-635!

And except for the lack of cornfields, it does resemble I-74 a good bit. I've lived in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta as well as Ohio and Indiana.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:08 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
Quote:

Houston metro isn't larger than DFW

Old 07-09-2020, 08:14 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The person I was responding to wrote about Dallas specifically not Frisco or McKinney.
Geez. Just get over it. Ok, Dallas has trees. I am originally from the northeastern US. There are more trees there than Dallas. Happy now or was than an exaggeration?

Old 07-09-2020, 08:45 PM
kwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Not ridiculous at all. Compared to Atlanta, the area around DFW does look flat and treeless. You're on the edge of the Great Plains. Hardly a hill between Canada and I-635!

And except for the lack of cornfields, it does resemble I-74 a good bit. I've lived in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta as well as Ohio and Indiana.
Bingo - we finally agree on something, lol. Again, I had just left Atlanta and landed in Dallas 2+ hours later. No trees (or lack there of) was my first impression. Was not intentionally flaming.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:51 PM
kwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Houston metro isn't larger than DFW
You have a habit of always wanting to be right. In this case, Google is your friend. The Houston MSA is ~ 9.4k sq miles and DFW is 9.2k sq miles.

“ The Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, commonly referred to as DFW or North Texas, encompasses 13 counties and is home to just over 7 million people. The DFW area encompasses more than 9,200 square miles of total area...”

“The Houston MSA covers 9,444 square miles, an area larger than five states, including New Hampshire, New Jersey and Connecticut.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston