Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Ha-ha... "...stay in their place?" 'Sounds like something a racist would say. No one can have opinions unless they agree with yours, is that it? Typical. For what it's worth, I am brown, and Latino, just like my cuz Lina.
Yes, I was suggesting that many people have a racist view of her. Not necessarily that you do. Not sure why you took that personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 10:15 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Ha-ha... "...stay in their place?" 'Sounds like something a racist would say. No one can have opinions unless they agree with yours, is that it? Typical. For what it's worth, I am brown, and Latino, just like my cuz Lina.
You totally misread his post. It was 100% clear what he meant.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:25 AM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Yeah, I agree and I’m brown but the other kind (Arab).

I consider myself liberal and I vote for Democrats but I’m not a fan of this new mindset that if you don’t agree with all that’s “woke” you’re a fascist, racist, or Nazi.

I like Lina. A lot of people don’t and that mostly isn’t because she’s a woman or brown. It’s because they’re views are not the same.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:44 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yeah, I agree and I’m brown but the other kind (Arab).

I consider myself liberal and I vote for Democrats but I’m not a fan of this new mindset that if you don’t agree with all that’s “woke” you’re a fascist, racist, or Nazi.

I like Lina. A lot of people don’t and that mostly isn’t because she’s a woman or brown. It’s because they’re views are not the same.
I never said that everyone who didn't agree with her is a racist. Settle down. Some people (see how I made that word really obvious here?) definitely had a racist reaction to her, because they don't like to see women of color in a position of authority. If you think that's not true, you're delusional.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:54 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

I can say that as a Republican who has never voted for a Democrat for any nationally held office (and for state offices only a handful of times), I like Lina. So even though my views differ from hers on many, if not most, policy issues, I like her personally. As someone else pointed out, she is smart, a quick learner and, from several things I've read, has worked to bring a lot of transparency to her office and its role. I'm not going to hate on her as an individual and criticize everything she suggests solely because she's from a different party.

There's no question in my mind that if Judge Emmett was still there and saying all the things she's been saying, far more people would be listening to him, so I think there is some amount of hating the player not the game at play here.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:46 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Did not get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Yes, I was suggesting that many people have a racist view of her. Not necessarily that you do. Not sure why you took that personally.
'Sorry there... I did not get what you meant, obviously. I did not know who you were targeting, to be honest, but since I was the only one with a not-positive post, I thought you were referring to me.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
I can say that she comes across in national coverage as extremely intelligent and competent. Also, Art Avecedo and Samuel Pena also seem on top of their game. I haven’t seen much national coverage on Turner, so he’s either MIA or not doing anything of note wrt covid. Fortunately, Hidalgo has a widely-ranging set of tasks and tools at her disposal that expand beyond city government.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:56 PM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
It must really stick in some people's craw to see a young brown woman in a position of authority. And now, even worse, she's doing a great job. Don't people know how to stay in their place?
It's amazing how many people dislike her and call her a communist or Marxist. I didn't vote for her because Emmett had done a decent job, and she seemed too young and inexperienced. I am not unhappy at all with her performance so far.

Quote:
Woosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I can say that she comes across in national coverage as extremely intelligent and competent. Also, Art Avecedo and Samuel Pena also seem on top of their game. I haven’t seen much national coverage on Turner, so he’s either MIA or not doing anything of note wrt covid. Fortunately, Hidalgo has a widely-ranging set of tasks and tools at her disposal that expand beyond city government.
Acevedo has looked good because he wants something. Overall, he's a crappy police chief, and one of Turner's worst decisions.

Turner is not one for the spotlight.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:30 PM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
It’s pretty ridiculous to say because you haven’t seen Turner on the news in Philadelphia that he’s basically MIA. He’s been doing a good job locally. I couldn’t tell you who Phillys mayor is and I don’t think that has anything to do with how good or bad they are.

And yeah, Acevedo is a politician. He’s trying to climb. Given HPDs not so great record under him, he’s easy to see through.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:47 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Where’s those posters who had so much to say when she made mask mandatory and was handing out fines for those who didn’t? Where that energy at? Might have to pull out some receipts for ****s and giggles. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: