Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 12:34 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
I commend the posters who think Hidalgo is competent for being able to post simple declarative sentences. I wouldn't have expected that.

She's done zero to improve Harris County.

She's let the half-finished Astrodome renovation sit vacant because she, as she told the Chronicle, isn't interested in the Astrodome. Meanwhile, our tax dollars continue to pay for security and maintenance; otherwise, it would turn into the world's largest meth pad. When someone competent is elected to office, the cost to complete refurbishment will be much more than if she had finished the work started in 2018.

What has she been interested in?

Bail reform so criminals don't have to post any cash bail. Ask the police unions what they think of Hidalgo.

Flood control by using a scoring system that doesn't require an area to have flooded previously to be a priority. Anyone with a brain would be prioritizing areas around the Barker and Addicks reservoirs based on past problems and the liability issues for the county but not Hidalgo. If you're in a Democrat district, you're high regardless of flooding issues.

Certainly not efficient use of tax dollars. Her effort to raise taxes by 8 percent failed but that didn't stop her from allocating $500,000 to a defense fund for illegal immigrants.

As for COVID-19, what are talking about? She had no problem with 60,000 people ignoring social distancing and her mask order because that was a politically correct event. The county could have at least handed out masks but that would have taken some forethought which is not Hidalgo's strong suit.

Anyone who thinks a Latino can't be as incompetent as a white politician need only look to Hidalgo to see the err of that thinking.
What does her being Latino have anything to do with competence? Oooooh because your racist that’s why.

As far as flooding,the astrodome,protest and the police union.

She inherited the flooding problem. Blame decades of politicians allowing developers to build concrete over wetlands and the city for building underdeveloped roads, ditches and a major metropolitan area with a half ass infrastructure that creates the environment for constant flooding. That’s decades of ****ty Houston politics. Not Hildagos fault.

She inherited the Astrodome as well. Don’t blame her blame your city for being one of the few major cities in America to still allow a vacant eyesore to sit still instead of demolishing it for more useful space. The dome closed in 2008 and Houston still doesn’t know what to do with it. That’s Democrats and Republicans but overall it’s just Houston’s incompetence as ALWAYS.

So now she’s to blame for the protest? Protest happen in multiple cities yet they haven’t had the spikes we’ve seen here in Houston. You also didn’t see Lina out there leading the charge. When the virus started spreading in the area she told the public what to do and even enforced some rules and regulations and a particular demographic in the city cried about it. You made your bed now sleep.

The police Union is a joke especially the president. Straight clowns lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 02:49 PM

15,406 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
I commend the posters who think Hidalgo is competent for being able to post simple declarative sentences. I wouldn't have expected that.

She's let the half-finished Astrodome renovation sit vacant because she, as she told the Chronicle, isn't interested in the Astrodome. Meanwhile, our tax dollars continue to pay for security and maintenance; otherwise, it would turn into the world's largest meth pad. When someone competent is elected to office, the cost to complete refurbishment will be much more than if she had finished the work started in 2018.

Bail reform so criminals don't have to post any cash bail. Ask the police unions what they think of Hidalgo.

Flood control by using a scoring system that doesn't require an area to have flooded previously to be a priority. Anyone with a brain would be prioritizing areas around the Barker and Addicks reservoirs based on past problems and the liability issues for the county but not Hidalgo. If you're in a Democrat district, you're high regardless of flooding issues.

Certainly not efficient use of tax dollars. Her effort to raise taxes by 8 percent failed but that didn't stop her from allocating $500,000 to a defense fund for illegal immigrants.

As for COVID-19, what are talking about? She had no problem with 60,000 people ignoring social distancing and her mask order because that was a politically correct event. The county could have at least handed out masks but that would have taken some forethought which is not Hidalgo's strong suit.

Anyone who thinks a Latino can't be as incompetent as a white politician need only look to Hidalgo to see the err of that thinking.
We get it, you hate Hidalgo, probably because she's Hispanic and smarter than you.

I don't care about the Astrodome either. Tear it down, or let it rot, either works for me.

Bail reform wasn't her idea, she just helped end the lawsuit that her predecessors had allowed to drag on for years, costing us a ton of money, and the end result was always going to be...bail reform as the previous system was completely and utterly unconstitutional.

I don't care at all what the police unions think. They are employees and need to do what they are told, preferably without being stupid and costing taxpayers more money.

Illegal immigrants are entitled to a defense when charged with a crime that's prosecuted in County and State courts.

Just how do you think the protests could have been stopped, given they were peaceful?

The Barker/Addicks reservoirs are Federal projects, and there's little the County can do other than try to influence the timeline and scope. I don't really give a crap about the people who live in the West and North sides of Addicks, or the people to the West of the Barker dam. They should have looked at the elevation of their house and compared it to the elevation of the spillways of the dams when they bought. Besides, most of the issues were caused by bad laws at the State level that don't force developers to disclose that sort of thing. Hidalgo prioritizing the poorer areas of the County is a good thing, since there's never been any money spent to help them.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:20 PM

39 posts, read 16,667 times
Quote:

Stop listening to Michael Berry. It'll do ya a favor.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:10 AM

23,961 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some one122 View Post
Stop listening to Michael Berry. It'll do ya a favor.
And get off Bettencourt's FB page. Those people hate her because she's female and brown.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:59 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
If you keep track of people's performance based on race .... you got some work to do on yourself

Old 07-17-2020, 01:21 PM

550 posts, read 368,413 times
Note - the only reason any of her supporters give is that she's Latino. That isn't enough to make her competent.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:16 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Quote:
Note - the only reason any of her supporters give is that she's Latino. That isn't enough to make her competent.
Your racism will not blind my ability to speak the truth. Here is my unedited post from when this thread started. Please point out where I mention, or even hint at, her ethnicity. Or gender. Or anything other than her job performance.

I am an older, white, retired person. I'm also open-minded, and willing to judge people on their actions & results, and not pre-judge them based on stereotypes. Try it, you might like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I liked Judge Emmett (still do), and voted for him. Judge Hidalgo seemed like an under-experienced, way out of her league accidental victor. My only hope was her greenness wouldn't cause harm to Harris County.

She has proven me wrong. She's sharp, a fast learner, not afraid to take an unpopular stance when it's the right thing to do. She's been thrown into the frying pan, and for the most part, has proven herself.

Look back to May, when we started venturing back out into civilization, and Judge Hidalgo ordered everyone to wear masks. Gov. Abbott quickly stomped on that order. The Judge begged to be allowed to require masks, warning what was coming. The Governor gave in to his science-denying conservative supporters, and said no. Fast-forward six weeks, and it's out of control. Hundreds of thousands of new cases, and what does Abbott do? Require masks. If only he had the strength of conviction that our Judge has.

I don't always agree with her political views, and often don't like the way she spends our money. But she is honest, hard-working, and willing to fight for what is right. She has my vote next time.

Time will tell.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:16 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
I like to call her “the Latino Sarah Palin”
That should help you understand why we support her

Old 07-18-2020, 08:48 AM

15,406 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I like to call her “the Latino Sarah Palin”
That should help you understand why we support her
There's no comparison between the two. Hidalgo is smarter than Palin, and doesn't act like a moron.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:35 AM

9,857 posts, read 6,570,632 times
I’m all for preserving the Astrodome. At first sight, I was upset the renovation plans got a set back. But at the same time, she didn’t scrap it for no reason. If she did, then I for sure would be pissed. Lina has spent a lot more on flood control than Emmet, where money is needed to be spent. Of course, if flood control wasn’t an urgent problem needed to be taken care of, id criticize scrapping a project. But frankly, flood control was indeed an urgent problem that is being addressed much more than previously.

The Astrodome won’t lose its history, there’s no erasing it. Whether we renovate it today or years down the line, it won’t lose the history that is being preserved. Once it’s time to spend money on renovating it (which is a priority, just not as big of a priority as flood control), then it will still maintain its history and status. Nothing will be lost until then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: