Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 08:08 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Churches don’t pay taxes .... and now that they are struggling, they get tax dollars to help them when they are struggling.
That’s gotta be the best business to run.

HOUSTON-AREA CHURCHES RECEIVED MILLIONS IN FEDERAL FORGIVABLE LOANS - Jul. 8th 2020

HOUSTON — Hundreds of Houston-area churches received tens of millions of dollars in forgivable government loans during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to an analysis of federal records.

As churches shuttered their doors and pivoted from in-person to online-only services, weekly offerings often steadily declined.

It’s why so many places of worship, of many different faiths and denominations, have asked the government for help. KHOU 11 Investigates analyzed CARES Act Payment Protection Program (PPP) data released by the Small Business Administration. We found 233 Houston-area churches received forgivable federal loans of $150,000 or more. The collective total is at least $67 million, but exact figures are unclear since the data only provides a range of the loan, not the actual amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 03:13 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Churches don’t pay taxes .... and now that they are struggling, they get tax dollars to help them when they are struggling.
That’s gotta be the best business to run.

HOUSTON-AREA CHURCHES RECEIVED MILLIONS IN FEDERAL FORGIVABLE LOANS - Jul. 8th 2020

HOUSTON — Hundreds of Houston-area churches received tens of millions of dollars in forgivable government loans during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to an analysis of federal records.

As churches shuttered their doors and pivoted from in-person to online-only services, weekly offerings often steadily declined.

It’s why so many places of worship, of many different faiths and denominations, have asked the government for help. KHOU 11 Investigates analyzed CARES Act Payment Protection Program (PPP) data released by the Small Business Administration. We found 233 Houston-area churches received forgivable federal loans of $150,000 or more. The collective total is at least $67 million, but exact figures are unclear since the data only provides a range of the loan, not the actual amount.
Churches have always benefited by not paying local taxes either. Think about how much property they occupy throughout the region, yet do NOT contribute for street repairs, water connection utility improvements, police, fire, public health, etc.
it was very mean and hypocritical of the Govt to make Planned Parenthood (another non-profit) pay back its PPP loan in direct contrast to how it treated the churches.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:19 AM

Interesting ... I guess this type of welfare for people that don’t pay taxes doesn’t bother anybody.

But don’t you dare to ask for anything for people that pay taxes and are struggling.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:46 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Churches have always benefited by not paying local taxes either. Think about how much property they occupy throughout the region, yet do NOT contribute for street repairs, water connection utility improvements, police, fire, public health, etc.
it was very mean and hypocritical of the Govt to make Planned Parenthood (another non-profit) pay back its PPP loan in direct contrast to how it treated the churches.
No, it was not "mean", it was the law. The PPP loan law clearly stated that the organization applying for the loan cannot have more than 500 employees. Planned Parenthood far exceeds that number, and the affiliates of PP were fraudulently trying to get 'free' money from the government they were not entitled to by saying they were independent. The problem there is, all their past actions, litigation, etc., was paid for by the main organization. You cannot have it both ways.

That money is meant for the small businesses. Look around your neighborhood. How many small restaurants, gyms, nail salons, daycare and other businesses shut their doors permanently because of the shutdown? Some tried to get money, but it all ran out. That 80 million PP received could have saved many mom and pop places who's owners poured their life savings into just to have it fail in the end. That is where that money is intended to go, not to big corporations.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:55 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
If a church doesn't pay taxes then it isn't a business and shouldn't qualify for a small business loan. Churches being tax free entities is one of the biggest and longest running scams in this country.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:57 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
My politics are very progressive and I do not like what the government has done with Planned Parenthood, which is an essential organization in the United States, where we offer so little in the way of assistance to the struggling. But many churches offer assistance as well and while I don't agree with some church's stances on abortion, I do appreciate many of the things that churches do that no other kind of organization does. I also think churches should have remained closed throughout the pandemic, which I know is a huge, heavy burden for those practice their religion faithfully. All this being said, I would be a total hypocrite not to support the loan payments. What else would the churches do? They need to stay closed, and they provide essential services but they are taking in so little money. I get that they do not pay taxes, but they still have expenses--most of which involve giving back to the community. I'd like to see more support for the churches, the colleges and universities, the public schools, all of those entities that give our society structure and meaning. Without these institutions, we don't really have a society, which is what I fear some people want.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:16 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
No, it was not "mean", it was the law. The PPP loan law clearly stated that the organization applying for the loan cannot have more than 500 employees. Planned Parenthood far exceeds that number, and the affiliates of PP were fraudulently trying to get 'free' money from the government they were not entitled to by saying they were independent. The problem there is, all their past actions, litigation, etc., was paid for by the main organization. You cannot have it both ways.

That money is meant for the small businesses. Look around your neighborhood. How many small restaurants, gyms, nail salons, daycare and other businesses shut their doors permanently because of the shutdown? Some tried to get money, but it all ran out. That 80 million PP received could have saved many mom and pop places who's owners poured their life savings into just to have it fail in the end. That is where that money is intended to go, not to big corporations.
There were several instances where large companies with 500 or more employees (incl the catholic churchh) received these forgivable loans by having the franchisees or individual locations apply. Why does it look like Planned Parenthood was singled out by Republican senators who were out to make some political points?

My politics are very progressive and I do not like what the government has done with Planned Parenthood, which is an essential organization in the United States, where we offer so little in the way of assistance to the struggling. But many churches offer assistance as well and while I don't agree with some church's stances on abortion, I do appreciate many of the things that churches do that no other kind of organization does. I also think churches should have remained closed throughout the pandemic, which I know is a huge, heavy burden for those practice their religion faithfully. All this being said, I would be a total hypocrite not to support the loan payments. What else would the churches do? They need to stay closed, and they provide essential services but they are taking in so little money. I get that they do not pay taxes, but they still have expenses--most of which involve giving back to the community. I'd like to see more support for the churches, the colleges and universities, the public schools, all of those entities that give our society structure and meaning. Without these institutions, we don't really have a society, which is what I fear some people want.

"Very progressive" doesn't really seem to mesh with most of the churches in this region of the country. Some churches do perform the good things that you refer to. Some of the programs are actually funded through our tax money, not through the churches themselves. A good example are the refugee programs that assimilate the refugees into american culture. The clear majority of other organizations would not need expensive land or acres and acres of land to accomplish the worthwhile goals that you reference. Why does Second Baptist church near Katy need acreage the size of several football fields? How much property tax money would that land produce if it could be used for commercial or residential properties instead?

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 07-27-2020 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-27-2020, 09:43 AM

17 posts, read 13,711 times
Wait... so let me get this straight.

1. Churches are exempt from federal tax.
2. Churches do not pay property taxes.
3. Yet, Churches received billions of dollars in PPP forgivable loans?

Wow. How is this possible?

Another interesting story about "free money" the government is giving out: a friend of mine (a multi-millionaire) received stimulus checks because he doesn't work. He makes tons of passive income (interest and dividends), but his income was below the threshold. On the other hand, I (not a millionaire) work for a living and was phased out because my gross income was above the threshold.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:53 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

How much of that money went to Trump connected cronies and Trump businesses? Kanye West? Really? Is that why he was running for president? A bribe from Trump to try and take the black vote away from Biden? Kanye got around 2 million.

Marketplace has an interesting article: Who got PPP loans? Trump administration releases data.

There's a reason why Trump fired the I.G. watchdog appointed to oversee the funds before they were dispersed. How many I.G.'s has he been conveniently displeased with? Was it 5 in 6 weeks?

Old 07-27-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
My politics are very progressive and I do not like what the government has done with Planned Parenthood, which is an essential organization in the United States, where we offer so little in the way of assistance to the struggling. But many churches offer assistance as well and while I don't agree with some church's stances on abortion, I do appreciate many of the things that churches do that no other kind of organization does.
I also appreciate what they do for the poor,
But you need to understand that churches, especifically, the ones with millionaire pastors
not paying taxes, defund public services and then show up with crumbs of bread claiming to be heroes
Just like Maduro in Venezuela
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: