Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2020, 12:05 PM

86 posts, read 116,726 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I searched and couldnt find any thread on this. I torn down my house and rebuild, the improvement portion of the appraisal came back higher than the cost to build. I already submitted my cost to build but that was rejected by the isettle process.

Has anyone encountered this situation? What have you done and result?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 03:49 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,780 times
So you tore down an old house and built a new one? Now, the appraisal district is saying the improvement value is more than what it cost you to build?

I don't see an issue here.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:06 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,714 times
Did you factor in land value? Cost to build and value of property are not the same. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:23 PM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStein View Post
Hi,

I searched and couldnt find any thread on this. I torn down my house and rebuild, the improvement portion of the appraisal came back higher than the cost to build. I already submitted my cost to build but that was rejected by the isettle process.

Thanks in advance!
What's your point? The appraisal is based on what the property would sell for, not what it cost to build.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:36 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
They did this to me. Just take your records of what it cost to build into your appeal and they will lower it down to your actual cost.

Its a game they are playing now - they want to get the exact amount that you paid correct - so in order to do that (since there is no sales value on HAR they can get) they appraise you for a huge number that they pulled right of their behind and then you come back screaming "thats ridiculous, it only cost $XXXX to build it" and they say - oh - well - ya, since you provided me with the receipts we will lower it to that value.

You leave thinking you won, when they have actually conned you into providing them with the exact cost to build - and you part ways until next year where they use ridiculous comps to jack your value up again.

Keep in mind, the cost to build is just the cost of the "improvements" you do still have to add in the cost of the land.

Wash, rinse, repeat next year.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:52 PM

86 posts, read 116,726 times
Yes, that's what I am comparing, just the cost to build vs improvements, not land value. Thanks marksmu.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
They did this to me. Just take your records of what it cost to build into your appeal and they will lower it down to your actual cost.

Its a game they are playing now - they want to get the exact amount that you paid correct - so in order to do that (since there is no sales value on HAR they can get) they appraise you for a huge number that they pulled right of their behind and then you come back screaming "thats ridiculous, it only cost $XXXX to build it" and they say - oh - well - ya, since you provided me with the receipts we will lower it to that value.

You leave thinking you won, when they have actually conned you into providing them with the exact cost to build - and you part ways until next year where they use ridiculous comps to jack your value up again.

Keep in mind, the cost to build is just the cost of the "improvements" you do still have to add in the cost of the land.

Wash, rinse, repeat next year.
I'm calling BS on this. The appraisal is what the property is worth, not what you paid to build the structure plus the land value. The price paid can be used if you bought the property with a house on it, and didn't rebuild, I've done that. However, if the lot is worth $300k, and you spend $500k to build and the property would now sell for $1.2 million, then it should be valued by HCAD at $1.2 million. That would be the house across the street from me.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, that's what I am comparing, just the cost to build vs improvements, not land value. Thanks marksmu.
The cost to build is, and should be, irrelevant. The value is supposed to be how much the property would sell for on January 1.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:48 PM

71 posts, read 51,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I'm calling BS on this. The appraisal is what the property is worth, not what you paid to build the structure plus the land value. The price paid can be used if you bought the property with a house on it, and didn't rebuild, I've done that. However, if the lot is worth $300k, and you spend $500k to build and the property would now sell for $1.2 million, then it should be valued by HCAD at $1.2 million. That would be the house across the street from me.
Exactly, when I buy a new house, I pay for the market value and not what it cost the builder to build it which should be less than the sale prices or the builder will quickly be out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston