Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 4,901 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I am moving from Southern California to Houston.

I would really like and appreciate some opinions as to which area I should choose...

Below are the areas that I am considering. I know that budget and commute and lifestyle would generally be the next questions. I am a upper middle class single male who prefers to live a simple and peaceful life, but doesn't want to feel too isolated. I don't need a lot of square-footage. I want to move to Houston and experience all of its offerings.

Areas that I am considering:

-The Woodlands (for the affordability of the housing, the cleanliness, safety, and lushness of the area)
-The Four Villages (Hunter, Bunker, Piney, Hedwig) (because of their closer proximity to the city amenities, but seemingly still amount of space and suburban feel)
-Sugar Land (as a balance/compromise of suburban living with closer proximity to the city than the Woodlands)

Lesser extent:
-Seabrook (because it would be nice to live near the water)

My fears are that The Woodlands could be too far from everything, the Four Villages could be too urban, or that Sugar Land could be too unpolished to justify just not choosing the Woodlands, or that it's not a great compromise. Seabrook that it's isolated or just lacking in amenities.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 08:37 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,264 times
Based on what you seem to be looking for, I would recommend Sugar Land. You'll get a LOT more for your money there than in the villages but you'll have the same quality of amenities generally speaking. The Woodlands is very pretty but it takes forever to get there from Houston.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:49 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,522,842 times
What is the budget?
If you can afford a house in the villages, you can afford living in most areas.
Villages do not seem too urban to me.
And how about the commute? I guess it's out of question?
Well still Bellaire or West University might be another choice: close to everything and still not too urban.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:15 PM

219 posts, read 226,365 times
What do you mean by Sugar Land “could be too unpolished”?

Is that code for not enough white people?

Old 08-05-2020, 09:39 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
While there’s plenty to do in the Northern suburbs, the Western suburbs of Houston from Sugar Land to Katy have a lot to offer. Water parks, concern balls, professional minor league baseball, town centers, nightlife, food, golf courses, pristine parks, shopping centers, etc. Sugar Land is not unpolished at all unless your definition of unpolished is white.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
What is the budget?
If you can afford a house in the villages, you can afford living in most areas.
Villages do not seem too urban to me.
And how about the commute? I guess it's out of question?
Well still Bellaire or West University might be another choice: close to everything and still not too urban.
The Villages is starting to get urban with the sprawl approaching Brookshire now. Bellaire and West U are definitely urban now with the Medical Center boom!

I would liken Memorial now to Bellaire and West U in the late '90s-early '00s when Houston was smaller. Bellaire is turning into a nouveau riche River Oaks with the McMansions popping up. Anything touching the 610 loop is considered urban now, including Tanglewood.

The inner city neighborhoods are nice, but you have to deal with the cross-town commuter traffic though your neighborhood trying to make it to the Galleria, Greenway, and DT Houston offices or Medical Center hospitals. The second-ring is older suburban, close to the city but not as attractive to buyers as the shiny master-planned communities down the street in the third-ring. Being on the transition between second-ring and third-ring may be more of the OP's liking, but carries risks such as second-ring decline eventually making its way towards the third ring.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:38 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,522,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The Villages is starting to get urban with the sprawl approaching Brookshire now. Bellaire and West U are definitely urban now with the Medical Center boom!

I would liken Memorial now to Bellaire and West U in the late '90s-early '00s when Houston was smaller. Bellaire is turning into a nouveau riche River Oaks with the McMansions popping up. Anything touching the 610 loop is considered urban now, including Tanglewood.
Relative to Brookshire, they are more urban.
But they are not as urban as Brooklyn.
More of a quiet sleepy suburbs close to major freeways.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:45 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
What the h... is “unpolished”?

Old 08-05-2020, 10:49 PM

5 posts, read 4,901 times
Bellaire or West University is too urban/dense for me
Unpolished = less master planned, less zoning, older construction, less Hoas

Kerrtown - it sounded like you endorsed Sugar Land over the others based on my needs?

Old 08-05-2020, 11:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Relative to Brookshire, they are more urban.
But they are not as urban as Brooklyn.
More of a quiet sleepy suburbs close to major freeways.
For Texas, they are urban.

Anything as dense as Brooklyn in Texas would scare Texans away. Oddly enough, the densest part of Texas is between Sharpstown and Meyerland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhoustonadvice View Post
Bellaire or West University is too urban/dense for me
Unpolished = less master planned, less zoning, older construction, less Hoas

Kerrtown - it sounded like you endorsed Sugar Land over the others based on my needs?
I've always admired First Colony being the only master-planned suburb closest to the Galleria (10-15 minutes), Greenway Plaza (15-20 minutes), and Downtown (20-30 minutes) with direct access on the 20-mile stretch of I-69 and having the same stores and amenities found in Houston around the mall. It also showcases the ethnic/racial diversity in Fort Bend County (and the Houston area in general).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston