Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 05:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,462,437 times

Advertisements

i know my friends always complain Houston property tax is too high,a friend of mine lived in the city for many years,he paid $25 to have his lawn cut,25 years later he is still paying $25 and he has a huge backyard.
His excuse is 'I am not stupid,thats what everyone is paying in my neighborhood'
You wonder why your tax is too high,may be give your handyman a raise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 11:34 PM

8 posts, read 3,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
How about Illinois? 2nd highest property taxes in the US, plus 4.95% state income tax https://taxfoundation.org/state/illinois/
What do you think, did the same group of individuals rig the system in IL that way?

Do you like IL tax system better compared to TX?

No sir. Moved away from IL years ago, never looked back. Now looking toward TX, with both eyes open wide and lights on.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:31 AM

54 posts, read 28,224 times
With our property tax situation here in Texas, why do so many people think TX is some sort of tax haven, just because we have no state income tax? The property taxes surely make up for having no state income tax.

I have looked into retiring in several states that HAVE a state income tax and their way lower property taxes combined with a small state income tax would be WAY cheaper for us that staying here in TX and fighting the county appraisal board every year.

Texas is NOT some sort of tax haven, just because we have no state income tax. Hello!

Old 12-17-2020, 09:33 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Mtbkr View Post
With our property tax situation here in Texas, why do so many people think TX is some sort of tax haven, just because we have no state income tax? The property taxes surely make up for having no state income tax.
Not if you're renting.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:45 AM

But if you are renting and the property owner gets a property tax increase (an happens often in Houston) guess who pays the tax increase? You do!

Like corporations, land lords usually pass along tax increases to the individual.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
But if you are renting and the property owner gets a property tax increase (an happens often in Houston) guess who pays the tax increase? You do!.
Meh.

So far, rents and any increases have been in line with other low COL sunbelt cities and low COL cities up north with an income tax.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:40 PM

...so far.

However it is true that corporations and landlords do not effectively pay taxes, PEOPLE pay taxes.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,462,437 times
Now houses prices do not go up and up,renting an apt is not a bad idea,no lawn to mown,no water bill,sewage bill,even heating and A/C are included in rent,
When appliances break down,call the office .

Old 12-17-2020, 09:38 PM

152 posts, read 169,571 times
I don’t know about every city in ca and texas , but I can compare Houston with Bay Area . A house with good school in Bay Area suburb costs around 2m . You can get similar houses in a good Houston suburb for 500k . So you can easily save 10/15 k on property tax here even with the higher tax rate and more with the homestead exemption. You are also saving on state income tax , and county/city income tax in Texas . Utility , gas and hired help cost less here too . You are also saving on home insurance here because of the cheaper price of the house .

But you also need to realize that in Bay Area a lot of people get jumbo salaries which takes care of all these gaps . So if you are earning same salaries in both the places then you can compare .

Another thing is mortgage rate is little bit lower in ca than Texas and Bay Area houses tend to appreciate more than Houston . But I don’t know if this is going to be the case in future

It all boils down to how much you are earning in both the places . Like some one mentioned in this forum , Texas is not the tax heaven .

Last edited by sm24; 12-17-2020 at 09:54 PM..

Old 12-19-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
...so far.

However it is true that corporations and landlords do not effectively pay taxes, PEOPLE pay taxes.
It's still not that simple.

The real answer is that the market determines rental prices. Property tax increases are merely a small factor, if it's a factor at all assuming other market variables outweigh it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston