Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 02:44 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,358 times

Advertisements

I protested my assessment this past year and it looks like I was able to hold it to the previous year’s amount per Appraisal District website. I don’t have a formal letter yet. What can I expect in the next few weeks? A refund check? Refund credit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 05:54 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
I protested my assessment this past year and it looks like I was able to hold it to the previous year’s amount per Appraisal District website. I don’t have a formal letter yet. What can I expect in the next few weeks? A refund check? Refund credit?
The final appraised amount is what determines how much you pay in December of this year(well, you have until the end of January to pay). You aren't owed anything.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:04 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times
If you escrow your taxes, it's possible that your mortgage company will reassess what you owe each month based on the new tax valuation, and you'll owe less each month for the rest of the year?

Old 07-26-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The final appraised amount is what determines how much you pay in December of this year(well, you have until the end of January to pay). You aren't owed anything.
Awww! I paid the full amount this past January and thought that I was due a refund. . If that’s the case, I’m thinking that my house will be even less come Jan 2021 due to economic conditions. I could be wrong though.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:17 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,237,559 times
Quote:
Awww! I paid the full amount this past January and thought that I was due a refund. . If that’s the case, I’m thinking that my house will be even less come Jan 2021 due to economic conditions. I could be wrong though.
Typically, a protest is for the current year's appraisal, which is due at the end of this year. So it wouldn't be paid yet. The taxes you paid in January would have been on an appraisal that you contested last spring (2019).

Also typically, HCAD doesn't lower appraisals for what they consider temporary situations. Such as Covid. So if that's the "economic conditions" you refer to, it is unlikely you will see a decrease.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:56 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,740,597 times
Don't hold your breath on HCAD lowering your property taxes anytime soon. If you think they should be you will need to protest and go before the board.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:00 PM

455 posts, read 525,921 times
Quote:
I’m thinking that my house will be even less come Jan 2021 due to economic conditions. I could be wrong though.
Economic conditions be damned ... That doesn't seem to be affecting the real estate market, so i wouldn't necessarily hold your breath on appraisals going down.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
Economic conditions be damned ... That doesn't seem to be affecting the real estate market, so i wouldn't necessarily hold your breath on appraisals going down.
I'll bet that it's mostly due to pent-up demand and the low interest rates. I noticed a few that were in pending status in my neighborhood. I know that they are still building a lot of high-rise condos a few blocks away. Realtor publications like this one are ALWAYS their best cheerleaders.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:39 AM

455 posts, read 525,921 times
Quote:
I'll bet that it's mostly due to pent-up demand and the low interest rates. I noticed a few that were in pending status in my neighborhood. I know that they are still building a lot of high-rise condos a few blocks away. Realtor publications like this one are ALWAYS their best cheerleaders.
Yes, i read as much elsewhere. But you can be sure HCAD will use this and any other reason to not lower the assessment!

Old 07-28-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
Yes, i read as much elsewhere. But you can be sure HCAD will use this and any other reason to not lower the assessment!
My dentist just told me that one of his realtor customers said that the sales in West U were higher YTD than last year's!! I'm not sure why that is. Pent-up demand. Covid making people face mortality to "buy up"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston