U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:07 PM

530 posts, read 1,999,187 times

Advertisements

Has crime gone up significantly since the refugees moved in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 01:23 AM

1,320 posts, read 6,155,523 times
Uhhh...yeah. You could say that.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 AM

2,909 posts, read 13,608,503 times
Thats part of the reason why Houston is so cheap. Too bad I wont feel safe living in Houston

Old 12-28-2006, 05:48 AM

61 posts, read 339,815 times
yes, crime as gone up since Hurricanes Katrina hit N.O. But, crime was already heading upwards before then. Check F.B.I and other statistics.

Too, it is not as chaotic here as portrayed in the media or by some specific interest groups. True there are problems. But, check history (worldwide for that matter); I can not find where > 200,000 ppl permanently moved in less than 180 hours. If so , you are bound to have some problems, changes, or some adverse social effects.

Even when Atlanta fell after the Civil War (and no mass migration), it was destitute for a while.

Plus, I am faithful that there is a brighter side to all of this. Things are getting better as Houston begins to absorb new arrivals into its economy. In some regards, Houston as even benefitted from this: some jobs have permanently relocated here, more N.O style restaurants & music. So it is not all negative.

REMEMBER STATISTICS DON'T LIE, ITS THE INTERPRETOR OR THE INTERPRETATION THAT LIE

Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 AM

18 posts, read 127,942 times
And, they are NOT REFUGEES....they are American Citizens who have been displaced. It's important to get the language right because it does reflect how we relate to these citizens. Thanks Houstonman for delivering fact statements as oppose to opinion and sarcasm. Some folk are hell bent on perpetuating negativity and fear!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:52 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,106,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Thats part of the reason why Houston is so cheap. Too bad I wont feel safe living in Houston
Nope, rents actually went up some, as there were fewer apartments available after that.

No reason to feel unsafe in Houston, unless you live in or frequent a bad area of town. You've been listening to too much hype.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,106,326 times
Yes, but only in specific areas. And primarily in apartment complexes. I read an article that pointed out about 3 specific zip codes (that were already not great areas to begin with). Most other areas are okay. A lot of it is tapering off now, as they are being caught and arrested or moving away.

But of course not all of the N.O. people are bad, many are good people who came here to relocate their businesses because it is just not feasible in N.O. anymore. Also, several N.O. companies have permanently relocated to Houston for the same reason.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:23 AM

107 posts, read 550,209 times
Quote:
The presense of Katrina evacuees and real estate prices have nothing to do with each other. Real estate here has always been cheap compared to other cities of Houston's size. It's not like housing prices took a nosedive in Sept. of 2005.

I understand that everyone's comfort zone is different, as far as crime is concerned. But there hasn't been a widespread upswing in crime all over the city. Like JJP said, it's definitely restricted to specific areas that weren't too great to begin with. It's going to be the same in any big city. Either you're comfortable living in a big city environment, or you're not.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:42 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,882,754 times
Following Hurricane Katrina, "refugee" was sometimes used to describe people displaced by the storm. There was an outcry that the term shouldn't be used to describe Americans, and the term "evacuee" was substituted in its place.

I have been guilty of using the term "refugee" and will stop that as they truly are "evacuees" from a terrible situation.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:14 PM

2,617 posts, read 8,383,993 times
Quote:
No, Houston has ALWAYS been a cheap date on real estate. Prices have increased since Katrina, not gone down. Don't let the media hype spook you. The free-rent program ends in February, so many will be moving on. Those inclined to criminal activity have found Harris County to be much less easy to operate in than Orleans Parish, and they have already left or been arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>