Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 03:37 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,562,879 times

Advertisements

The regulars in here spoke remember last week’s thread. But in my opinion, the highlight of the story is the improvement.

Of course, Lina might be exaggerating here for re-election chances, but there’s no denying her projects prevented much devastation from us TS Beta happened 2 years ago. You’re not going to go from 100-0 in just 2 years. Fortunately, Beta wasn’t stronger than it was. But this particular storm 2 years prior would have caused too much devastation.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...4-8b05376c96fd

The regulars also remember the Lina appreciation thread for her COVID response. Call this Lina Appreciationg thread 2.0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 03:53 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,519,884 times
Well this is definitely an improvement. But hasn't it started before she got elected?
I know someone from Meyerland and he told that huge widening already happened right after the hurricane Harvey.
Last year it was also pretty significant storm, not as huge as Beta though. But the new improvement already helped a lot back then.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:02 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,335 times
Project Brays has been underway since 2000.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well this is definitely an improvement. But hasn't it started before she got elected?
I know someone from Meyerland and he told that huge widening already happened right after the hurricane Harvey.
Last year it was also pretty significant storm, not as huge as Beta. But the new improvement already helped a lot back then.
Yes, but the problem is it took hurricane Harvey for it to be addressed at all. I could see Emmet seeing the improvements as a “job I’d done” deal after Beta

Old 09-27-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Project Brays has been underway since 2000.
https://www.projectbrays.org/our-history/

A significant portion of the project has taken place in 2018-19. Don’t try beat around it. Tell me this. Why was it slowed down so much after the initial portion?

Old 09-27-2020, 08:39 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,519,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
https://www.projectbrays.org/our-history/

A significant portion of the project has taken place in 2018-19. Don’t try beat around it. Tell me this. Why was it slowed down so much after the initial portion?
I guess Harvey triggered it at most part. I'm not sure why Memorial Day + Tax Day floods were not enough. Probably they didn't generate so much attention.
I'm not against Baby Judge, but I think she is taking credit for what she hasn't really accomplished.
She was elected only at the end of 2018. So she started doing things only in 2019.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:44 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,615,292 times
Quote:
I guess Harvey triggered it at most part. I'm not sure why Memorial Day + Tax Day floods were not enough. Probably they didn't generate so much attention.
I'm not against Baby Judge, but I think she is taking credit for what she hasn't really accomplished.
She was elected only at the end of 2018. So she started doing things only in 2019.
How is she taking credit? For the one line "if we hadn't done the work"

Old 09-27-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
What makes you think the bayous are the only problem? You realize one of the biggest problems that caused flooding was the drainage which was horrible. So bad in fact, that it flooded once without any rain taking place. That’s how bad Houston’s drainage was.

Who kept postponing the drainage fixtures? Emmett. When were the plans finally approved and starting? In 2019.

I’m not saying every single project has started during Lina’s term. But a lopsided amount have during her term in contrast to Emmett. You had to wait for Hurricane Harvey for the county to finally do anything. 2 other historic floods weren’t enough. If there are other things about Lina you don’t like, fine. But she’s clearly taking this more seriously.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:24 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Quote:
What makes you think the bayous are the only problem? You realize one of the biggest problems that caused flooding was the drainage which was horrible. So bad in fact, that it flooded once without any rain taking place. That’s how bad Houston’s drainage was.

Who kept postponing the drainage fixtures? Emmett. When were the plans finally approved and starting? In 2019.

I’m not saying every single project has started during Lina’s term. But a lopsided amount have during her term in contrast to Emmett. You had to wait for Hurricane Harvey for the county to finally do anything. 2 other historic floods weren’t enough. If there are other things about Lina you don’t like, fine. But she’s clearly taking this more seriously.
Agreed. Lina definitely deserves credit for pushing this.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:43 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:

Drainage in large part is the city's responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: