Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 AM

10 posts, read 28,380 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to houston in about a year. I am teacher and was wondering what is the best district to teach in. What is the cost of living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 11:40 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2teach View Post
I am thinking about moving to houston in about a year. I am teacher and was wondering what is the best district to teach in. What is the cost of living there?
There are many great school dist., My question is what about the school dist. that are in need of great teachers?, Is it common for people in your profession to look for the "best" school dist. to work in or look to take on challenges and hopefully make a difference in some kids lives?

Here's a link that should help you find what you want.
Search for Texas public schools.

Last edited by usc619; 05-03-2008 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 03:56 PM

13 posts, read 58,070 times
FortBend and the Cypress areas have good schools.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:12 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
There are many great school dist., My question is what about the school dist. that are in need of great teachers?, Is it common for people in your profession to look for the "best" school dist. to work in or look to take on challenges and hopefully make a difference in some kids lives?

Here's a link that should help you find what you want.
Search for Texas public schools.
I love how people who don't teach expect teachers not only to be great at what they do, but to do for the noblest of reasons, & the littlest of pay. A teacher gets a raise and people freak out, because the teacher is supposed to do it for the love of the job. This person writes asking for a good work environment, a request that would be totally normal in any other field, and you get all over them about it. Take a look in the mirror, ask what you've done for the youth of America lately yourself. Lay off the teacher.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:16 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Spring Branch ISD. It's smaller, built out and has very involved parents.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM

410 posts, read 1,682,202 times
love2teach,

I really hope you choose Houston. It's a shame we pay entertainers (sports & film figures) such insane amounts of money but don't take care of the ones that are molding our futures. I can only speak for the Klein School District (Spring/Klein area) ... it's pay is average, living situation- still affordable and as the district is growing....will be needing teachers. Best of success! Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2teach View Post

Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,008 times
I need to add HISD as another best school district because everyone's opinion is different. But I like HISD because of the superintendent's progressive expectations and one of the top leading innovations in the country.

Of course, some teachers are going to complain about the bonus performance pay because some want to stay lazy and prefer the same-same cost-of-living pay raise. More importantly, HISD demographics is changing very rapidly and more yippie parents are more involved with their local schools and further support the local schools. Don't forget that Houston has some of the most expensive neighborhoods within 200 miles that suburbans can't beat.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I love how people who don't teach expect teachers not only to be great at what they do, but to do for the noblest of reasons, & the littlest of pay. A teacher gets a raise and people freak out, because the teacher is supposed to do it for the love of the job. This person writes asking for a good work environment, a request that would be totally normal in any other field, and you get all over them about it. Take a look in the mirror, ask what you've done for the youth of America lately yourself. Lay off the teacher.
I just got around to reading this, lol

I love when people respond to questions that wasn't directed to them and as for my experience in giving back to youths, I'll start with coaching Basketball at San Diego Linclon High school(volunteer)for serval years, LA county inter-city kids (USC Football Ticket program)doner, I spent many many weeks volunteering at several group homes around San Diego Co. for trouble teens just to name a few. My question to you is (since you brought it up) what have you done?

Please tell me where did you get the OP was asking about a good WORKING environment? All I read was "what is the best district to teach in. What is the cost of living there? " Reading comprehension is a lost art these days, which is why we need Good teachers in underachieving school dist.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 AM

11 posts, read 32,532 times
Default Reading comprehension

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I just got around to reading this, lol

I love when people respond to questions that wasn't directed to them and as for my experience in giving back to youths, I'll start with coaching Basketball at San Diego Linclon High school(volunteer)for serval years, LA county inter-city kids (USC Football Ticket program)doner, I spent many many weeks volunteering at several group homes around San Diego Co. for trouble teens just to name a few. My question to you is (since you brought it up) what have you done?

Please tell me where did you get the OP was asking about a good WORKING environment? All I read was "what is the best district to teach in. What is the cost of living there? " Reading comprehension is a lost art these days, which is why we need Good teachers in underachieving school dist.
I also got the impression that your tone was accusatory. I also understood that you were suggesting that she was not selfless enough because she was asking where to go- and not asking for the neediest areas. Teachers (for the most part) are already noble by definition and do not need to list what they do for the community. What they do, they do every day. They certainly do not do it for the pay. Requesting a good or safe place to work..or any information about working should be something that anyone should be able to do without having to apologize for their reasons.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 38,080 times
I totally agree with USC...every school could use a great teacher!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston