Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2020, 11:24 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times

Advertisements

Best to vote early because who knows if the weather is bad on Nov. 3rd. The industry is already doing subpar and the phasing out of fracking will hurt down the road, but it will be ok in the next few years at least .

I think nuclear should be on the table now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 10:43 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I’m not suggesting tear it down because that’s impossible. But at some point American will evolve into something different. I mean it’s happening right before our eyes. Prior to the 1990s you had liberal Republicans and Conservative Democrats. These 2 parties have adapted to their base while causing more of a ridge between voters. I’ve never seen partisan animosity this high. It’s gotten that out of control so much so that they’re could be serious consequences after elections are over. Both sides are guilty of this.

Take for instance countries like Germany and Ireland have transitioned there political landscape. The Green Party in the EU is making an impact. But I understand, America imo is more ass backwards. Of course it’s not perfect but it’s more political representation then what we have here in America. Allegedly one of the most diverse countries in the Western world yet no so much when it comes to who’s in office and the three branches of government.

As far as the blue/purple/red bit, what I’m saying is neither party in any state has stepped to the plate to deliver on a promise to better the conditions of its most vulnerable communities. By and large I have not seen the benefit of either party.

Now you say the Democrats policies are far less negative than Republican policies. Are you sure about that?

I can tell you that the welfare reforms and crime bill under the Clinton administration did far worse or just as much negatively than any policy the Republicans pass.

I mean Democrats have gone out there way to distance themselves from creating any policies that are specifically for my community. Barrack for instance made it a point to say he’s not Black Americans president but America’s president. So on one hand while the Affordable Care Act did help Black Americans he also enacted policies that actually triggered a decline in Black wealth in this country. And he had the power to change it but chose not to.

And these are not opinions. I’m not impressed by promises made during election year. I’m all about holding politicians accountable. I’ll admit, Black Americans haven’t held Democrats accountable enough. Majority don’t even vote Republican so of course they’re not going to do anything. They’re going to pander to their base.
Yeah most younger Black people (under age 45 and below) do not trust either the Democrats or the Republicans but are holding the Democrats more accountable because let us be real, Black people throughout the nation have overwhelmingly voted for Democrats since the 1960s but have nothing to show for it. We also aren't delusional to think the Republicans will be any different. Somebody said a third party vote is a waste. But many of us don't see much of a value on voting for these two more than voting for that third party. I've talked to some friends back home saying they will not vote for these two whatsoever but most of my friends will vote Biden.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:53 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah most younger Black people (under age 45 and below) do not trust either the Democrats or the Republicans but are holding the Democrats more accountable because let us be real, Black people throughout the nation have overwhelmingly voted for Democrats since the 1960s but have nothing to show for it. We also aren't delusional to think the Republicans will be any different. Somebody said a third party vote is a waste. But many of us don't see much of a value on voting for these two more than voting for that third party. I've talked to some friends back home saying they will not vote for these two whatsoever but most of my friends will vote Biden.

I was grown in the 60's. I also remember redlining, poll tax and school segregation.

Enjoy the Trump picked judges their decisions.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:01 AM

814 posts, read 676,477 times
XOM cutting 1,900 Houston jobs, over next two years
Zoom market cap is greater than XOM, strange times.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:14 PM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
I dont know that is strange, its just a sign of the times.

Oil is never going to boom again to what it was in 2012. Houston has to recognize this and plan for the future. We cant be like Appalachia and sit around wondering why coal wont be back.

The future is in our hands and we can lead the transition to green energy. No city in the US is better equipped to do it. Or we can pine for 2012 for the next decade and be left in the dust.

The writing is on the wall...

Old 10-29-2020, 12:24 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Oil is never going to boom again to what it was in 2012. Houston has to recognize this and plan for the future. We cant be like Appalachia and sit around wondering why coal wont be back.

The future is in our hands and we can lead the transition to green energy. No city in the US is better equipped to do it. Or we can pine for 2012 for the next decade and be left in the dust.

This is why I’m glad Sylvester Turner and Lina Hidalgo have the keys.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:30 PM

Sylvester Turner’s tech push and collaboration with Rice University is what’s attracted Chevron and Greentown Labs to their major projects here.

The tech push that also attracted Amazon to open their tech hub in the Memorial Area. The General Assembly to open the coding school in Midtown. We’ve already began to see the results and the biggest projects are yet to come.

Also don’t forget, Houston has the ability to surpass SF and Boston in BioSciences. Which we are working to head that way. As long as we are done voting leadership that will hold on to O&G as much as it can, there’s no reason we will need to rely in the future.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:32 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
Ouch and off of Chevron cutting around 800 jobs in Downtown, and Houston lost the most construction jobs out of any city in 2020 (Dallas gained the most).

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

We can only hope! There's been some movement there and in tech in Houston, but not nearly enough yet to offset O&G jobs.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Ouch and off of Chevron cutting around 800 jobs in Downtown, and Houston lost the most construction jobs out of any city in 2020 (Dallas gained the most).

We can only hope! There's been some movement there and in tech in Houston, but not nearly enough yet to offset O&G jobs.
Chevron is also opening renewable energy engineering jobs though. These kind of transitions are going to happen if we are serious on the future.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:04 PM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
The only think that can offset O&G jobs are green energy jobs. Thats it. Tech isnt going to fill the hole because tech has so many other options. The reason why it can only be green energy is that Houston is the energy capital of the world. We have something no other city can offer to green energy in the form of human capital.

But I dont worry about it as much because, as the majors shed O&G jobs, they will eventually be adding green energy jobs. The O&G majors of today are the green energy majors of tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston