Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 01:29 PM

15,385 posts, read 7,444,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Fair point about the Innovation District. It may turn out to be a success. To me it doesn't really build on Houston's strengths, though. When we have a ton of underutilized office space in Westchase and the Energy Corridor near affordable housing with good schools (and still convenient to the inner loop), why build more? I get that some people and companies prefer urban settings, but they would probably pick Austin over Houston anyways.

And on a personal note, I was sorry to see that Sears go. When I was a Rice U student without a car, before Uber was around, it sure was convenient to have a department store a couple stops away on the rail line.
The innovation district is located where it is because Rice University already owned the land, which was acquired 70+ years ago. When Sears wanted out of their lease, it worked out well for the new district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 03:51 PM

9,831 posts, read 6,554,716 times
I think we have yet to see the worst of the country’s recession. Regardless of who wins. The stimulus Bill issued months ago was nwcwssary but it came at a time with little to no real activity and companies used it just to survive with barely nough actual revenue to stay alive. Mass layoffs are becoming a thing again. We have to wait it a bit and see what’s going on and how we respond.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:53 PM

5,608 posts, read 4,927,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I think we have yet to see the worst of the country’s recession. Regardless of who wins. The stimulus Bill issued months ago was nwcwssary but it came at a time with little to no real activity and companies used it just to survive with barely nough actual revenue to stay alive. Mass layoffs are becoming a thing again. We have to wait it a bit and see what’s going on and how we respond.
We should remember that much of the white collar O&G layoffs are still to come, and because those jobs are so high-paying, the multiplier impacts on local economies are large. Granted, Houston and the nation managed to get through 2015-16 because the rest of the economy was healthy, but it's still something to keep in mind.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:37 PM

191 posts, read 91,236 times
I believe there's still another supercycle left in the O&G sector as the next few years we'll see a continuation of lack of investment until a lot players drop out (companies and countries) and supply/demand stabilize. I'm still bullish on natural gas globally as the infrastructure is there but demand will take a few years.

COVID can be a double edged sword for Houston as I think regardless of president bio-sciences will enjoy a flood of federal money due to COVID. TAMU, Rice, UT, and the TMC are investing in building out programs and office space the will be nicely timed with the current crisis. No reason why we can't use COVID in a positive manner.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminB12 View Post
I believe there's still another supercycle left in the O&G sector as the next few years we'll see a continuation of lack of investment until a lot players drop out (companies and countries) and supply/demand stabilize. I'm still bullish on natural gas globally as the infrastructure is there but demand will take a few years.

COVID can be a double edged sword for Houston as I think regardless of president bio-sciences will enjoy a flood of federal money due to COVID. TAMU, Rice, UT, and the TMC are investing in building out programs and office space the will be nicely timed with the current crisis. No reason why we can't use COVID in a positive manner.
UH is being left in the dust in biosciences. Perhaps they’re establishing their mwd school since the others are always chosen Ahead in collaboratives

Old 11-01-2020, 08:21 PM

191 posts, read 91,236 times
Quote:
UH is being left in the dust in biosciences. Perhaps they’re establishing their mwd school since the others are always chosen Ahead in collaboratives

That's fine.... UH needs to focus on being a better overall university, which isn't to dismiss the improvements it has made over the decade.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminB12 View Post
That's fine.... UH needs to focus on being a better overall university, which isn't to dismiss the improvements it has made over the decade.
Agreed. Maybe one day they’ll catch up after the med program gets going.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:34 PM

Shell is shutting down Louisiana refinery and focusing on low carbon future. Good news for us, bad for Louisiana. Which goes to show you, the hardest hit by the transition to renewable energy will be industrial towns.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...shut-down.html

Old 11-06-2020, 05:07 PM

15,385 posts, read 7,444,116 times
Quote:
Shell is shutting down Louisiana refinery and focusing on low carbon future. Good news for us, bad for Louisiana. Which goes to show you, the hardest hit by the transition to renewable energy will be industrial towns.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...shut-down.html
They are shutting down one of 3 facilities. They will still have a refinery and another chemicals operation near Baton Rouge.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:18 PM
JL

8,520 posts, read 14,524,659 times
I really wished Tesla would’ve picked Houston as their other site. I would gladly leave the O&G industry to work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston