Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 12:03 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,310 times

Advertisements

Trump's energy policies would likely be better for Houston than Biden's, but the energy industry's historic success, present struggles, and future outlook aren't really impacted that much by whoever's in the White House. Factors like demand growth from China/India, whether OPEC can enforce production cuts, etc are far more impactful.

Trump can't do anything about the tremendous global oversupply that is keeping a lid on current prices.

Biden can't afford to cripple O&G because he'd then be branded a job killer, and if his actions raised energy prices significantly, he'd also alienate poor and middle-class voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 12:11 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Trump's energy policies would likely be better for Houston than Biden's
If he actually had an energy policy.

He'll tell people in Ohio he's going to bring coal back because it sounds good to people in Ohio. The truth is, coal is only "coming back" if government enacted policy that favored coal over natural gas, which would not be good for Houston's economy. Of course, over here, he's not going to talk about anything like that because it doesn't play here.

He has no actual policy. He's an empty populist.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:13 PM

9,864 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Trump's energy policies would likely be better for Houston than Biden's, but the energy industry's historic success, present struggles, and future outlook aren't really impacted that much by whoever's in the White House. Factors like demand growth from China/India, whether OPEC can enforce production cuts, etc are far more impactful.

Trump can't do anything about the tremendous global oversupply that is keeping a lid on current prices.

Biden can't afford to cripple O&G because he'd then be branded a job killer, and if his actions raised energy prices significantly, he'd also alienate poor and middle-class voters.
Biden’s policies would be more beneficial to Houston’s infrastructure, be likely to approve more federal funding for public transport, d. I must admit it would be nice to see Harris County take on Public Transport with a democratic President, County leader and most importantly, no Culbertson.

PS, I’m not voting for Biden (nor Trump) because I’m not a fan of his, but the Democratic Party has clearly shown more willingness to invest in infrastructure, flood control, and public transport. You’re thinking about the short run too much which consists of weeks to months.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:41 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
HOW DOES THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZE AIR SERVICE TO SMALL COMMUNITIES?
https://www.enotrans.org/eno-resourc...l-communities/

Over the past 15 years, changes in the airline industry have consolidated air service at the largest hub airports while passenger levels at medium hubs have remained consistent.[1] But the smallest of airports usually do not have enough demand to maintain commercial air service. So for nearly 40 years, the federal government has been funding air travel to and from small communities across the United States.

In 1979, when the federal government deregulated the airline industry, Congress established the Essential Air Service Program (EAS) to subsidize flights to the smallest airports. The busiest of those airports, Joplin, Missouri, has on average fewer than 160 passengers per day.[2] Some EAS airports have fewer than a dozen passengers departing per day.
That's unrelated to your post above.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:42 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Yes Reagan pursued policies that brought on the oil glut to hurt the economy of the Soviet Union which lead to the dissolution of the old Soviet Empire. The Texas economy was collateral damage.

Banning fracking would help the price of oil thus help the Texas economy but will destroy the idea of American energy independence at least from the oil and gas perspective, but America never really did appreciate the concept or benefit of American energy independence so "SCREW IT". I look forward to $4 gas again in the next 4 years....and ironically enough that will benefit alternative energy sources and further hasten the ultimate demise of oil as a primary transportation energy source....
That's about the size of it. Great post.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:43 PM

18,128 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
PS, I’m not voting for Biden (nor Trump) because I’m not a fan of his, but the Democratic Party has clearly shown more willingness to invest in infrastructure, flood control, and public transport. You’re thinking about the short run too much which consists of weeks to months.
What else can you expect from the party that is pro toll roads?

Old 10-26-2020, 02:13 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,051,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Biden’s policies would be more beneficial to Houston’s infrastructure, be likely to approve more federal funding for public transport, d. I must admit it would be nice to see Harris County take on Public Transport with a democratic President, County leader and most importantly, no Culbertson.

I will never understand this position. I simply don't understand the choice not to vote. You're getting one or the other of them whether you like it or not. Surely you must have SOME preference? If so, you give that up by not voting.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:41 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I will never understand this position. I simply don't understand the choice not to vote. You're getting one or the other of them whether you like it or not. Surely you must have SOME preference? If so, you give that up by not voting.
Don't be so naive. Besides there are other things to vote for in the booth.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:04 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,051,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Don't be so naive. Besides there are other things to vote for in the booth.
How is my question naive? I am genuinely interested in understanding. If you are going to get one or the other, why wouldn't you want to choose?

Old 10-26-2020, 03:07 PM

18,128 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I used to be just like ParaguaneroSwag
until I saw a video of how hard people fought the last 100-150 years for all Americans to have the right to vote.

Every since then, I make sure to vote every single time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston