Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 11:00 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,043 times

Advertisements

So for any newer neighborhoods built in the 1990's on through today, the streets were designed to flood. They are built much lower than the homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 08:47 PM

116 posts, read 170,606 times
Cypress Creek ALWAYS floods, I would not purchase a house anywhere near that creek.
During Hurricane Harvey, Towne Lake south of West Road did not have any street flooding.

Alder Trails, Hotwells, Barker Lake, and Riata West had bad flooding. Folks were taken out of their homes by boat. Streets north of Tuckerton had lots of street flooding. No homes in TL took in water.

Langham Creek north of Longenbaugh Rd is the new model for flood management. They have widened the channel for the creek to naturally flood in and have huge detention and retention lakes in John Paul Landing Park in Katy and Weekley park in Cypress.

You want to check with the flood district to ask for the most recent flood maps. Make sure the home you purchase is at least 25 feet or more from the curb and above the street. Look at how wide the sloughs, and channels are the feed into the creeks/bayous. In Bridgeland as in Towne Lake they have built or are building parkland near Cypress Creek and Langham Creek because of flooding. However, most of the development north of 290 around Cypress and Little Cypress Creek have **** poor flood management and do not have a centralized flood control/management system in place. It will take decades for that to happen so purchase up there at your own risk. Same for Langham Creek south of Longenbaugh. The homes are built too close to the creek(s), and the detention that each developer built isn't enough. Some older communities/subdivisions don't have lakes or greenspace set aside for flooding.

Be aware that any new plans for flood control in Harris County will take decades to implement. So, check out creeks that haven't flooded that bad and look at what is happening upstream from the properties you are considering purchasing before you buy.

Before I purchased my home in TL in 2014, I talked to flood control, the developer, the builder, the county, everyone I could think of before I purchased my house. And I am grateful because 2015, 2016, 2017 were MAJOR flood years and not a drop of water entered my house, flooded my yard nor my street.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:28 AM

23,970 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welltodo11 View Post
While I lived there, my home in the Wortham Villages (not cypress zip but zoned to CFHS) never flooded. I agree however stay as far away from Cypress Creek as possible. A friends home in Ravensway (on the creek) got some water in it.
The Wortham communities had a developer from San Antonio.

It is also on the perimeter of the watershed. That means higher ground.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:42 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,945 times
Bridgeland is VERY close to Cypress Creek. That creek floods like mad and I would avoid living anywhere near it.

Old 08-20-2022, 11:51 AM

116 posts, read 170,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Bridgeland is VERY close to Cypress Creek. That creek floods like mad and I would avoid living anywhere near it.
Bridgeland is a huge community. Just stay away from Cypress Creek and you'll be fine.
During the floods of 2016 & 2017 no home flooded in Bridgeland only the streets. They wisely built parkland and a parkway as a buffer for the creek.

But for all of the subdivisions downstream of Bridgeland, I would be wary. I live in Towne Lake and the new sections they are building near Cypress Creek, I would not buy in them, even though they are building them up quite high and have tons of park space around it and two huge detention ponds, I still wouldn't buy a house near that creek.

During the floods of 2016 and 2017 Cypress Creek flowed towards addicks reservoir and badly flooded homes near it. Folks had to be rescued by boat.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:39 PM

467 posts, read 778,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhevoice View Post
Bridgeland is a huge community. Just stay away from Cypress Creek and you'll be fine.
During the floods of 2016 & 2017 no home flooded in Bridgeland only the streets. They wisely built parkland and a parkway as a buffer for the creek.

But for all of the subdivisions downstream of Bridgeland, I would be wary. I live in Towne Lake and the new sections they are building near Cypress Creek, I would not buy in them, even though they are building them up quite high and have tons of park space around it and two huge detention ponds, I still wouldn't buy a house near that creek.

During the floods of 2016 and 2017 Cypress Creek flowed towards addicks reservoir and badly flooded homes near it. Folks had to be rescued by boat.
I saw that area off Mills with my own eyes during Harvey and couldn’t believe they were building in that location. Boats couldn’t even pass due to the current flow of water.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:06 PM

578 posts, read 301,297 times
When I lived in Houston the food mantra was a. Slow moving tropical storm could flood homes any where in Houston metro.I’m not sure how far north or NW that supposedly applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston